Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 10 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3018578 - 11/06/12 09:41 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
beechnut
12 Point

Loc: DRUMMONDS TN 38023

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: Pic IN the Casa
Cedar Hill Processing is fair priced $75 for basic and ground but you definately do not get the deer you brought in.

Took two to him last year and didn't get back straps on either. Was told I must've hit them when I shot the deer. I called BS. Now I do my own.

What do you reckon he does with the backstraps? He can't sell them.

Yeah and people cant hunt from the road either..... ;\)

#3018622 - 11/06/12 09:58 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Since we've had some feedback, what do you guys think the common perception of deer processing is out there with hunters? Are they just looking for the best deal going?

As with most things, there are the less experienced crowd, and the more knowledgeable/selective crowd.

I know several people that don't know enough about deer meat to know what's good or not. They just want "some place" that is easy and fast to take their single deer per family per year, and that's it. I've actually had folks tell me "I really like that 'so-and-so processing company' will give me meat back right away. I just hate waiting." Their main criteria will be quality of packaging and price/convenience. These are the same people that don't really eat the deer much, and half of it is left in the freezer after 2 years. They just want to feel like a hunter.

Other folks kill enough deer, EAT enough deer, and know how to cook them to have specific opinions and knowledge about what is quality work.

Of the people that I personally know who hunt, I'd say that about 30-40% of them fall into the less selective first group, and their primary motivator is price and speed (like you mentioned).

I'm personally willing to spend up to around $100 for good quality work. My main criteria is packaging quality, meat trimming, and flavor of speciality products, with a lagging quality indicator of meat spoilage (I won't know whether they did a good job or not until I cook a package 9 or 10 months later).

I *WISH* I had a better way of knowing how well they do on meat recovery, but that's a tough one to track without weighing them first (which I rarely do). Still, it seems like I get back a large amount of trimmings on most jobs, so I'm happy.

If I get to the point where I'm bringing home 4+ deer a year, I'll probably look at doing some on my own during the gun season when it's cold enough that I don't have to rush through the work to keep it from spoiling. Realistically, most of that will have to wait a couple years until my kids aren't so

#3018632 - 11/06/12 10:02 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: beechnut]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

Ok on a average deer down here how many pounds of meat do you get. I did not realize it costed so much but I have never had one done. I learned to do it growing up and never thought of paying for it.

I do remember a time when I went hunting got 3 and hung them in the garage. When my wife came home and opened the garage door three deer were staring at her with tongue out. She would never eat deer but she sure loved venison \:\)

#3018850 - 11/06/12 11:48 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: waynesworld]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: waynesworld
Ok on a average deer down here how many pounds of meat do you get. I did not realize it costed so much but I have never had one done. I learned to do it growing up and never thought of paying for it.

I do remember a time when I went hunting got 3 and hung them in the garage. When my wife came home and opened the garage door three deer were staring at her with tongue out. She would never eat deer but she sure loved venison \:\)

I'd say that, down here, you'll often get 35 to 45 pounds of yield from a typical doe or young buck. Mature bucks can yield 60 to 90 pounds of meat. You're looking at about 40-45% maximum yield. Deer here probably average 130 pounds, so 50 pounds of meat should be average. That being said, if you drop your deer of to a processor on a weekend, especially a high volume weekend like a opener, you'll probably see less yield since they are pushing through them fast. The average processor doing an average job probably only gets a 30-35% yield. Adding fat to the ground can seemingly inflate these numbers, so keep that in mind when weighing your yield. Bone in roasts (which I like) will also reflect a different yield than a completely deboned job.

If your like me and you keep the tongues, heart, liver, cook the bones down for stock and keep entire neck roasts, you can probably crack 50% of body weigh yield.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3019077 - 11/06/12 01:46 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

I'd say that, down here, you'll often get 35 to 45 pounds of yield from a typical doe or young buck. Mature bucks can yield 60 to 90 pounds of meat. You're looking at about 40-45% maximum yield. Deer here probably average 130 pounds, so 50 pounds of meat should be average. That being said, if you drop your deer of to a processor on a weekend, especially a high volume weekend like a opener, you'll probably see less yield since they are pushing through them fast. The average processor doing an average job probably only gets a 30-35% yield. Adding fat to the ground can seemingly inflate these numbers, so keep that in mind when weighing your yield. Bone in roasts (which I like) will also reflect a different yield than a completely deboned job.

If your like me and you keep the tongues, heart, liver, cook the bones down for stock and keep entire neck roasts, you can probably crack 50% of body weigh yield.

Those are pretty darn close figures to actual, Last yr. I weighed my two deer before and after just to see final yield, it was between 46% - 48% before adding to the ground meats. That was all deboned meat.

FDXX75

Edited by FULLDRAWXX75 (11/06/12 01:46 PM)

#3019094 - 11/06/12 01:58 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

Those are pretty darn close figures to actual, Last yr. I weighed my two deer before and after just to see final yield, it was between 46% - 48% before adding to the ground meats. That was all deboned meat.

FDXX75

Those are good numbers.

#3019122 - 11/06/12 02:18 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

FDXX75

Those are good numbers.

I don't waste much, I even fillet out the rib meat for the grinder.

#3019294 - 11/06/12 03:40 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Pic IN the Casa
14 Point

Loc: TN

Cedar Hill Processing is fair priced $75 for basic and ground but you definately do not get the deer you brought in.

Took two to him last year and didn't get back straps on either. Was told I must've hit them when I shot the deer. I called BS. Now I do my own.

Destroyed all of the backstraps on 2 deer? I don't think you do that even hunting with a .50 BMG round. What do you reckon he does with the backstraps? He can't sell them.

Let's just say I bet he gets the best choice cut for supper every night.

This dude placed an ad in the small town shopper paper a few years ago that read- Still have leftover deer meat from people that never picked theirs up.
And gave his hours of operation. Reckon if you paid for processing you could buy some meat- but that's just a guess.

#3019332 - 11/06/12 03:52 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Destroyed all of the backstraps on 2 deer? I don't think you do that even hunting with a .50 BMG round. What do you reckon he does with the backstraps? He can't sell them.

Let's just say I bet he gets the best choice cut for supper every night.

This dude placed an ad in the small town shopper paper a few years ago that read- Still have leftover deer meat from people that never picked theirs up.
And gave his hours of operation. Reckon if you paid for processing you could buy some meat- but that's just a guess.

Dang!

#3019723 - 11/06/12 07:30 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

Buford mathias up in Brownsville off exit 56 was great for the one in bow season. $65 and I got burger, sausage, steaks, back strap and tenderloin. Was probably 90 lbs of meat on a 180 lb field dressed deer
Page 4 of 10 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
84 registered (deadhead870, tn_duckman, DavidP, jb3, Blackdog, R Crabtree, 10 invisible) and 116 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89235 Topics
1043662 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.497 seconds in which 0.216 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.