Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 10 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3017339 - 11/05/12 04:38 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: WRbowhunter]
doubledownranch
8 Point

Loc: Old Hickory / Watertown

content Online
I go to lebanon meat locker about once a year. I usually only kill one deer a year. Packaging is all in freezer paper, not vacuum sealed. They have a quick turn around time and I think its worth the money since I don't have any processing equipment. I do always wonder if I get "my" deer back. The though of getting someone elses deer really disturbs me. I guess you never know for certain. I look to start processing my own in the near future and purchase a grinder. I want to process my own for sanitary reasons not so much $$ savings.

Team Run 'N Gunners

πKa

#3017455 - 11/05/12 05:49 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: doubledownranch]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

I would charge you $65 basic cut vacuem packed and ground meat included.

#3017505 - 11/05/12 06:15 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: timberjack86]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Hey last year, someone posted a pic from a deer processor where the deer were stacked waist high in a cooler. Anyone recall who posted that?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3017539 - 11/05/12 06:33 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: WRbowhunter]
JSPAL270
6 Point

Loc: BLOUNT CO

I use Keiths Butcher shop i think he charges 0.60 per lb. but only does standard cuts no snack sticks or summer sausage. They are very good and quick also you get your deer back. he does use butcher paper but i have not had any freezer burn even after a year.
#3018127 - 11/06/12 06:06 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: JSPAL270]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Poser,

One would be hard pressed to find a processor that would take the time/care in processing a deer the way I like my venison handled/packaged.

I have been processing my own and family members deer for @ 33 yrs now, I have done my fair share of processing. I pretty much have my system down to a science, from skinning to freezer the average deer processed the way "I" prefer my venison is @ 6 hrs per deer.
After skinning and quartering, each piece of meat is whether it be the loins,frt shoulders,hind quarters or the neck.....get cleaned, seperated and deboned. All scrap/small pieces and lower leg muscle get run through the grinder.
All meat is vacuum sealed/labeled and placed in the freezer(inside brown grocery bags to additionally help prevent freezer
burn)
I would guess, if I had to do a deer for hire, I would probably charge @ $130.00 cut up and an additional $25 for vacuum packaging and labeling.

FDXX75

#3018385 - 11/06/12 08:35 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
Poser,

One would be hard pressed to find a processor that would take the time/care in processing a deer the way I like my venison handled/packaged.

I have been processing my own and family members deer for @ 33 yrs now, I have done my fair share of processing. I pretty much have my system down to a science, from skinning to freezer the average deer processed the way "I" prefer my venison is @ 6 hrs per deer.
After skinning and quartering, each piece of meat is whether it be the loins,frt shoulders,hind quarters or the neck.....get cleaned, seperated and deboned. All scrap/small pieces and lower leg muscle get run through the grinder.
All meat is vacuum sealed/labeled and placed in the freezer(inside brown grocery bags to additionally help prevent freezer
burn)
I would guess, if I had to do a deer for hire, I would probably charge @ $130.00 cut up and an additional $25 for vacuum packaging and labeling.

FDXX75

Yeah, that is kind of the pricing range I would be thinking, too. Personally, I find butchering venison to be very gratifying work and I take pride in it. While I do my own, I have no problem occasionally paying ~$100 for someone to do the job right (the only processor I will use in the Memphis area/SW TN is Mike Renfro in Hernando MS). If I give him a deer, he does it exactly the way I want it, it is trimmed clean and professionally, the cuts look great and he gets absolute maximum yield without a scrap to spare. This is important to me. It usually cost me less than $2 a pound to get the work I want done when I do use a processor.

Since we've had some feedback, what do you guys think the common perception of deer processing is out there with hunters? Are they just looking for the best deal going?

#3018470 - 11/06/12 09:03 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Pic IN the Casa
14 Point

Loc: TN

Cedar Hill Processing is fair priced $75 for basic and ground but you definately do not get the deer you brought in.

Took two to him last year and didn't get back straps on either. Was told I must've hit them when I shot the deer. I called BS. Now I do my own.

#3018570 - 11/06/12 09:37 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
Poser,

burn)

FDXX75

Yeah, that is kind of the pricing range I would be thinking, too. Personally, I find butchering venison to be very gratifying work and I take pride in it. While I do my own, I have no problem occasionally paying ~$100 for someone to do the job right (the only processor I will use in the Memphis area/SW TN is Mike Renfro in Hernando MS). If I give him a deer, he does it exactly the way I want it, it is trimmed clean and professionally, the cuts look great and he gets absolute maximum yield without a scrap to spare. This is important to me. It usually cost me less than $2 a pound to get the work I want done when I do use a processor.

Since we've had some feedback, what do you guys think the common perception of deer processing is out there with hunters? Are they just looking for the best deal going?

It is work, but I don't mind doing my own. Bottom line, I know exactly what is in my freezer and where it came from. Would I pay someone $100 plus dollars to do it for me.............NO!!!!!! not worth it to me.

FDXX75

#3018572 - 11/06/12 09:37 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Pic IN the Casa
Cedar Hill Processing is fair priced $75 for basic and ground but you definately do not get the deer you brought in.

Took two to him last year and didn't get back straps on either. Was told I must've hit them when I shot the deer. I called BS. Now I do my own.

Destroyed all of the backstraps on 2 deer? I don't think you do that even hunting with a .50 BMG round. What do you reckon he does with the backstraps? He can't sell them.

#3018577 - 11/06/12 09:41 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: Pic IN the Casa

Destroyed all of the backstraps on 2 deer? I don't think you do that even hunting with a .50 BMG round. What do you reckon he does with the backstraps? He can't sell them.

I know for a fact, because I personally know the processors. They grab a few steaks/chops and what ever they like off each deer they cut for their own supply. The one guys justicifaction is he doesn't have time to hunt because he is cutting up everyone elses deer, so he just helps himself to little.

Yet another reason to learn to process your own

FDXX75

Page 3 of 10 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
115 registered (slinger, tcuurry, tn308fan, Deerbuster1996, Bamamonts, leader, 12 invisible) and 192 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91778 Topics
1072635 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.082 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.