Tndeer Logo

Page 8 of 10 « First<678910>
Topic Options
#3040719 - 11/19/12 03:40 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: catman529]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: catman529
wish I could offer some input, but I can't. A deer costs me a couple hours to process with a sharp knife.

This was the first time I've ever dealt with a quartered deer. I took it to Dino's, who charges $11/quarter. I threw in some chunked out meat from the carcass to include with the grind, but I think compared to his $125 whole-deer package, I have no reason not to quarter them out. Not much more than a field dress...plus, I have control over the hair, "wasted" meat, and other factors.

#3040965 - 11/19/12 06:50 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: TAFKAP]
sure shot
8 Point

Loc: robertson,co TN

well here goes a buddy of mine dropped one off at that "cedar hill" processor few years back nasty place cooler had stanking ole ungutted buck left in there processing room was 80 deg. buddy never got called on his deer,i told him feel lucky !! ive used "wrays " in around ashland city never again robbed me half my deer ! place that isnt open anymore on wolf mtn in bethpage awesome butcher cuts 55 $ on a small deer,always clean and cold. ive used "rainwaters" in springfield hes old and his help is in a hurry,hair in meat blood shot meat,packaging sucks,temp processing room "hot" and saws arent clean either !! i quit using him 3 yrs ago buddy still goes there...i used "grissoms" in greenbriar before ole chucky burnt it down...price was reasonable, cut was reasonable, mostly clean, but my yeild was always low especially 1x i had sausage made and she brings me 10 sticks....i said i dont think so. shes said well we can make it right??? i dont know where they got all the spare meat from???? never went back...last year and year before i used "shackle island meats" never ever again!!!! nasty packaged meats looked half rotten had to throw alot out and they ruined the backstrap by running the saw threw it was disgusting !! now im at "Flowers" meat looks clean,packaged well,ground is good,sausage is awesome !! there pricing is a little higher as far as specialty items sausage,jerky,snack sticks etc. but.....you get what you pay for ,they do good work and assured me 100% my meat is all my deer !!

#3045833 - 11/23/12 11:16 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: 53caddy]
wildb1
6 Point

Loc: Northern Texas

My hunting buddy and I do our own deer. We drive to Western Kentucky from Central Florida. We got 4 this year. Did 2, 100 does in about 8 hours from skinning to grinding and in the freezer. We started doing our own because the last time we picked one up from a processor, it wasn't even our deer. The processor found our ticket in the back of the stack and our deer was still hanging. He gave us someone else's deer! Who knows how it was handled before dropping it off. That's when we decided to do our own. I am glad we did and the money we saved the 1st year we did our own paid for the grinder and foodsaver. I think we paid $85 for standard processing; ground, steaks, loins and roasts.

And I'd expect $25 an hour fully processed and bagged.

#3053231 - 11/28/12 11:03 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: wildb1]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I take my deer to Mac's in Winchester. There are other processors around the area but I don't trust the seasonal places that just set up shop for deer then close down as soon as deer season ends. Mac's is a full time year-round butcher shop that I feel more comfortable with. And of course I can't prove I get my own deer back because I don't stand there and watch them do the work but the fact that they won't even start cutting a deer until it hangs about 2 weeks in the cooler - regardless of their backlog - is a good indicator that they aren't just pushing meat out the door with no regard for who gets what. Also they keep the rack for you if it's a buck - not sure if all places do that or not.

Their basic cost is either $60 or $65 (can't recall exactly). Summer sausage costs an extra $25 for 25lbs. Ground meat is packaged in 1lb tubes and other meat in freezer wax paper with stamped labels.

I used to do my own deer but doubt I ever will again when I can get it done so well for so little cost.

#3053373 - 11/28/12 01:10 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Hunter 257W]
Robtattoo
4 Point

Loc: Tullahoma, TN.

I had 2 done at W & W processors in Winchester, along with some other taxidermy work, which was faultless.

The first deer I asked for more steaks than burger, no extra fat added in the ground meat.
The 'steaks' were the rear hams sliced across the bone on a bandsaw. There was fat, bone chips & marrow smeared all over every single steak. The ground meat contained a lot of deer fat, making the whole thing unpalatable. I figured that I'd give them a second chance, however the second was just as bad.
I come from a family of pig farmers & butchers & I know that this is standard practice with non-game meats, as the fat melts at a low temperature & adds flavor & moistness to the meat. However deer fat melts too high to be pleasantly edible. Surely he should know this?!
Anyhoo, it cost me $75 per deer (I believe he has upped his price for 2012, but I don't know to what) with no sausage, jerky or anything other than steaks, roasts & ground.
Can't complain about the price, but the quality of the cutting was poor. I still have some in the freezer from 2010 (I've just avoided it!) & it is still good & not burnt. He vacuum seals the meat & the packaging is good.
Since then, I've re-learnt how to butcher & cut meat & I have been doing my own for the last 2 years. This year I have been doing a few for friends as well & all I've asked is that they supply the vacuum rolls/bags at a rate of one roll per deer. So far I've fully processes (Including hand grinding!) 16 deer for 7 different guys & I haven't had any complaints (and I HAVE asked!)
For me to completely skin, quarter, debone, cut & grind a deer takes around 4 hours. I remove ALL visible sinew & fat from every cut. I try to get about a 45% yield, where possible.
If I had to put a dollar value on a deer that I was processing, I don't think $50 would be out of the way. I enjoy the job, to be honest!

#3054845 - 11/29/12 10:34 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Hunter 257W]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
I take my deer to Mac's in Winchester. There are other processors around the area but I don't trust the seasonal places that just set up shop for deer then close down as soon as deer season ends. Mac's is a full time year-round butcher shop that I feel more comfortable with. And of course I can't prove I get my own deer back because I don't stand there and watch them do the work but the fact that they won't even start cutting a deer until it hangs about 2 weeks in the cooler - regardless of their backlog - is a good indicator that they aren't just pushing meat out the door with no regard for who gets what. Also they keep the rack for you if it's a buck - not sure if all places do that or not.

Their basic cost is either $60 or $65 (can't recall exactly). Summer sausage costs an extra $25 for 25lbs. Ground meat is packaged in 1lb tubes and other meat in freezer wax paper with stamped labels.

I used to do my own deer but doubt I ever will again when I can get it done so well for so little cost.

Sounds like a fantastic source for processing.

#3054990 - 11/29/12 12:01 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: sure shot]
LSUtigers
8 Point

Loc: tn

Adam's in Edgemore, tn., E. Tn. best iv'e found. Reg. cut is avg. $60, take it in quartered around $30. Clean and great job. He vacum packs it, except ground meat it is in 1 lb tubes.Used him for 8+ years with no problems yet.
#3056796 - 11/30/12 11:58 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: LSUtigers]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

I am trying Owl Holler Processing in Lafayette. It's $60 a deer for standard cut. $3/lb to make summer sausage, $4/lb to add cheese to it, and $5/lb for breakfast sausages.

I'll let you know how it turns out, but I hope well since they are 10 minutes from the property I hunt and on the way home.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3056892 - 11/30/12 01:07 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Redfred16]
JA1234
10 Point

Loc: just a hair or two north of th...

holy crap 5 bucks a pound for breakfast sausage???? I just made 15 lbs the other day along with 39 pounds of bacon burger I bet that would be 5$ a lb or more at that place so in that I had 45 lbs of deer meat so 45 @5 = 225 and I still got some steaks and backstraps too. woohoo I made some money by doing it myself at those prices that day.

I been taking my summer sausage meat and smoked link sausage meat to a guy in MS when I go visit for the holidays...but at the prices I am seeing here and the prices he charges and for knowing I get my very well cared for meat back and it hasn't laid with hairy and gutsy I think I will ...I know I will learn to smoke meat better...man...my 99 dollar grinder has long been paid for ... 5 bucks a lb FOR sausage... I remember when I thought .99 cents a pound was high for it LOL

#3056996 - 11/30/12 02:08 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: JA1234]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: JA1234
holy crap 5 bucks a pound for breakfast sausage???? I just made 15 lbs the other day along with 39 pounds of bacon burger I bet that would be 5$ a lb or more at that place so in that I had 45 lbs of deer meat so 45 @5 = 225 and I still got some steaks and backstraps too. woohoo I made some money by doing it myself at those prices that day.

I been taking my summer sausage meat and smoked link sausage meat to a guy in MS when I go visit for the holidays...but at the prices I am seeing here and the prices he charges and for knowing I get my very well cared for meat back and it hasn't laid with hairy and gutsy I think I will ...I know I will learn to smoke meat better...man...my 99 dollar grinder has long been paid for ... 5 bucks a lb FOR sausage... I remember when I thought .99 cents a pound was high for it LOL

I didn't get any made, but those were the prices. I did get the minimum amount of summer sausage made and if its good, it'll be worth it. If not I'll hand it out to co-workers that want venision but don't hunt .

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

Page 8 of 10 « First<678910>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (cdw338, Eric Kilby, Planking, WORM82, 416wbymag, Mudbone, 1 invisible) and 110 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85590 Topics
1034228 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.268 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.