Tndeer Logo

Page all of 10 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3015716 - 11/04/12 06:26 PM Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories?
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Hey guys,

I'm going to work on a blog post about Deer Processors: What you need to know.
Anyone care to share some examples of bad experiences?

Also, what do you expect to pay and what are you willing to pay for quality work?

If you were going to process a deer just the way you like it, but you were performing this task for someone else, what do you think your processing job would be worth monetarily (take packaging etc into consideration)?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3015752 - 11/04/12 06:47 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

I'm not sure I have enough experience with them to contribute much.

I enjoyed the processing at Dino's, paid about $125 for sausage, meatballs, and typical "cuts". Their vacuum bags were terrible, and half of them got air in and freezer burned the meat.

But I can't say I've had a truly "terrible" experience.

#3015778 - 11/04/12 06:57 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

I enjoyed the processing at Dino's, paid about $125 for sausage, meatballs, and typical "cuts". Their vacuum bags were terrible, and half of them got air in and freezer burned the meat.

$125 is higher end processing fee. I've heard bad things about Dino's as far as processing goes, though I'm sure their sausages are good, aren't they?

#3015900 - 11/04/12 07:44 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Roger
4 Point

Loc: nashville tn

I went to Flowers and a basic cut is 85.00. I got 25lbs of snack sticks and my total was 160.00.
#3015908 - 11/04/12 07:48 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Roger]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: roger
I went to Flowers and a basic cut is 85.00. I got 25lbs of snack sticks and my total was 160.00.

Was the basic cut worth the money?

#3015930 - 11/04/12 07:57 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Roger
4 Point

This is my first deer there. My brother in law has used them for years and he swears by them. I have helped him carry several deer there and pick them up also. Very nice people and the meat that we have shared was always handled and packaged great. I would say well worth 85.00.
#3015935 - 11/04/12 07:59 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Roger]
northeasthunter
8 Point

Loc: brentwood

ive had very good luck with flowers, they do excellent work.
#3015943 - 11/04/12 08:06 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: northeasthunter]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online
man, as easy as deer are to process, i could imagine paying 70-120 bucks to get one cut up

#3016005 - 11/04/12 08:30 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: redblood]
Roger
4 Point

Ive done it with a friends help and it wasn't too big of a deal. Sometimes its worth it just to save time and get some other things done or a little more family time.
#3016008 - 11/04/12 08:32 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: redblood
man, as easy as deer are to process, i could imagine paying 70-120 bucks to get one cut up

I do most of mine myself, though I often end up getting one done each season when I am backed up. That being said, "easy" is not the first word that comes to mind. It's fairly time consuming (though I enjoy it), requires some equipment if you want ground meat, and, if you don't know what you are doing, you will not get very good yield, so there is a learning curve.

If you were in the business of processing, how much would you charge someone, Redblood. Personally, I'd have a hard time justifying the professional time for less than $100 ( though, I'd be glad to help any hunter at anytime for free since its not my professional time at stake).

#3016068 - 11/04/12 09:04 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

content Online
i have processed all of mine for the past twenty years, since i was about 15. i do not do ground meat. I can skin, cut and package a deer in about 90 minutes. dont get me wrong, i am all for free enterprise and believe in charging whatever you can get. But i am not gonna pay it

#3016070 - 11/04/12 09:04 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I've used Dino's a bunch of times. They have gone back and forth on owners a few years back, and their packaging methods changed as well.

TAFKAP, I also had some problems with their old vacuum-sealed bags (the seals failed on a couple of them). Now they use the same setup as the grocery stores, with the styrofoam trays with the absorbent pad in the bottom, with plastic wrap over the top and a printed label indicating the cut of meat. Ground meat is still packed in the tubes, and you still get the ground meat options of lean, 80/20 mix with pork trimmings, or hot/mild breakfast sausage included in the base price (which some folks don't offer with the base price).

Although my first deer with them was a bit mediocre (those couple of failed vacuum bags), subsequent ones have all been good. I think they've processed about 7 or 8 deer for me by now.

I mainly use them because they have been producing consistently good quality stuff lately, the location is convenient for me coming home from work, and I get a lot of options. I especially recommend their Andouille raw sausage links! The summer sausage is good as well. I'm trying their garlic Italian for the firs time this go-round.

I would like to process them myself, but I don't have time or space. I've generally on a tight time table with family commitments, so not having to spend time skinning/quartering a deer after a hunt and icing it down is worth money to me.

Downsides: costs extra 10 bucks for a bigger deer; time to process is somewhat high during peak season; location is in a crappy part of town.

Here's a picture I took of the Dino's order sheet (my carbon copy). Let me know if you have any questions.

#3016130 - 11/04/12 09:38 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

i have processed all of mine for the past twenty years, since i was about 15. i do not do ground meat. I can skin, cut and package a deer in about 90 minutes. dont get me wrong, i am all for free enterprise and believe in charging whatever you can get. But i am not gonna pay it

Ok, but if I were hiring you to process a deer just like you do your own: 90 minutes of your time in a specialized area. What would you charge me?

#3016187 - 11/04/12 10:31 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

$125 is higher end processing fee. I've heard bad things about Dino's as far as processing goes, though I'm sure their sausages are good, aren't they?

Summer sausage was pretty good. I was a little disappointed in the "hot" breffus sausage, though. It was much more bland than I would've expected. I didn't get any Italian sausage, but the Italian meatballs were fantastic. But the meat was clean, and I never noticed any hair. It's also been about 4 years, as well.

I'm anxious to try the Mexican guy in Hickory Hood that does the tamales.

#3016425 - 11/05/12 07:00 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: TAFKAP]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I used to pay $60 a deer to have them cut up. I quit that 3 years ago and been doing them myself ever since.I got an electric grinder and meat slicer.I learned how to seperate all the different muscle groups on the hind quarters and I freeze them whole,and if I want steaks I thaw 1 out and cut it as thick as I want it with my meat slicer.I cut the backstraps out and tenderloins,and I grind the front shoulders..Pretty simple once you learn how to seperate the different muscle groups.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3016576 - 11/05/12 08:31 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Spikes Tactical
8 Point

Loc: Greer, South Carolina

Lebanon Locker does good work and quick turnaround time.

I usually take one a year to them to have ground up in to burger because I don't have a grinder.

Plus for $70.00 it is worth it to me to have them do it.

I wiil say I was not impressed by their summer sausage that I got last year.

#3016981 - 11/05/12 01:23 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Spikes Tactical]
53caddy
4 Point

Loc: Harrison, TN

Deer Masters in Rossville, GA has been doing my deers for the last 5 years. Can't say enough good things about them. Plus it is only $65.00
#3017046 - 11/05/12 01:55 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: 53caddy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: 53caddy
Deer Masters in Rossville, GA has been doing my deers for the last 5 years. Can't say enough good things about them. Plus it is only $65.00

Does the $65 include ground meat?

#3017262 - 11/05/12 04:10 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

Hard to find one that doesn't look like they ground them up snout first.

Team Peapicker

#3017315 - 11/05/12 04:30 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: TX300mag]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

I use Burris (formely glen's) in Moscow for large deer and I process my own on the smaller ones. He charges $85 for bucks that includes all the basic cuts. I have always been pleased with what he does. Now if I took a year and half old 4pt don't think I would like the $85 tag to much. From what I understand you always get "your" deer for the cuts but the burger is a mix of deer. I'm not that particular when I process my own deer. Its usually the loin then roast. If I was going process deer for other folks I would have to say I would charge $70 to $80. Lots of equipment, Skill and time needed to do it right.

#3017339 - 11/05/12 04:38 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: WRbowhunter]
doubledownranch
8 Point

Loc: Old Hickory / Watertown

I go to lebanon meat locker about once a year. I usually only kill one deer a year. Packaging is all in freezer paper, not vacuum sealed. They have a quick turn around time and I think its worth the money since I don't have any processing equipment. I do always wonder if I get "my" deer back. The though of getting someone elses deer really disturbs me. I guess you never know for certain. I look to start processing my own in the near future and purchase a grinder. I want to process my own for sanitary reasons not so much $$ savings.

Team Run 'N Gunners

πKa

#3017455 - 11/05/12 05:49 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: doubledownranch]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

I would charge you $65 basic cut vacuem packed and ground meat included.

#3017505 - 11/05/12 06:15 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: timberjack86]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Hey last year, someone posted a pic from a deer processor where the deer were stacked waist high in a cooler. Anyone recall who posted that?

#3017539 - 11/05/12 06:33 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: WRbowhunter]
JSPAL270
6 Point

Loc: BLOUNT CO

I use Keiths Butcher shop i think he charges 0.60 per lb. but only does standard cuts no snack sticks or summer sausage. They are very good and quick also you get your deer back. he does use butcher paper but i have not had any freezer burn even after a year.
#3018127 - 11/06/12 06:06 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: JSPAL270]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Poser,

One would be hard pressed to find a processor that would take the time/care in processing a deer the way I like my venison handled/packaged.

I have been processing my own and family members deer for @ 33 yrs now, I have done my fair share of processing. I pretty much have my system down to a science, from skinning to freezer the average deer processed the way "I" prefer my venison is @ 6 hrs per deer.
After skinning and quartering, each piece of meat is whether it be the loins,frt shoulders,hind quarters or the neck.....get cleaned, seperated and deboned. All scrap/small pieces and lower leg muscle get run through the grinder.
All meat is vacuum sealed/labeled and placed in the freezer(inside brown grocery bags to additionally help prevent freezer
burn)
I would guess, if I had to do a deer for hire, I would probably charge @ $130.00 cut up and an additional $25 for vacuum packaging and labeling.

FDXX75

#3018385 - 11/06/12 08:35 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
Poser,

One would be hard pressed to find a processor that would take the time/care in processing a deer the way I like my venison handled/packaged.

I have been processing my own and family members deer for @ 33 yrs now, I have done my fair share of processing. I pretty much have my system down to a science, from skinning to freezer the average deer processed the way "I" prefer my venison is @ 6 hrs per deer.
After skinning and quartering, each piece of meat is whether it be the loins,frt shoulders,hind quarters or the neck.....get cleaned, seperated and deboned. All scrap/small pieces and lower leg muscle get run through the grinder.
All meat is vacuum sealed/labeled and placed in the freezer(inside brown grocery bags to additionally help prevent freezer
burn)
I would guess, if I had to do a deer for hire, I would probably charge @ $130.00 cut up and an additional $25 for vacuum packaging and labeling.

FDXX75

Yeah, that is kind of the pricing range I would be thinking, too. Personally, I find butchering venison to be very gratifying work and I take pride in it. While I do my own, I have no problem occasionally paying ~$100 for someone to do the job right (the only processor I will use in the Memphis area/SW TN is Mike Renfro in Hernando MS). If I give him a deer, he does it exactly the way I want it, it is trimmed clean and professionally, the cuts look great and he gets absolute maximum yield without a scrap to spare. This is important to me. It usually cost me less than $2 a pound to get the work I want done when I do use a processor.

Since we've had some feedback, what do you guys think the common perception of deer processing is out there with hunters? Are they just looking for the best deal going?

#3018470 - 11/06/12 09:03 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
16 Point

Loc: TN

Cedar Hill Processing is fair priced $75 for basic and ground but you definately do not get the deer you brought in.

Took two to him last year and didn't get back straps on either. Was told I must've hit them when I shot the deer. I called BS. Now I do my own.

#3018570 - 11/06/12 09:37 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Poser,

burn)

FDXX75

Yeah, that is kind of the pricing range I would be thinking, too. Personally, I find butchering venison to be very gratifying work and I take pride in it. While I do my own, I have no problem occasionally paying ~$100 for someone to do the job right (the only processor I will use in the Memphis area/SW TN is Mike Renfro in Hernando MS). If I give him a deer, he does it exactly the way I want it, it is trimmed clean and professionally, the cuts look great and he gets absolute maximum yield without a scrap to spare. This is important to me. It usually cost me less than $2 a pound to get the work I want done when I do use a processor.

Since we've had some feedback, what do you guys think the common perception of deer processing is out there with hunters? Are they just looking for the best deal going?

It is work, but I don't mind doing my own. Bottom line, I know exactly what is in my freezer and where it came from. Would I pay someone $100 plus dollars to do it for me.............NO!!!!!! not worth it to me.

FDXX75

#3018572 - 11/06/12 09:37 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Pic IN the Casa
Cedar Hill Processing is fair priced $75 for basic and ground but you definately do not get the deer you brought in.

Took two to him last year and didn't get back straps on either. Was told I must've hit them when I shot the deer. I called BS. Now I do my own.

Destroyed all of the backstraps on 2 deer? I don't think you do that even hunting with a .50 BMG round. What do you reckon he does with the backstraps? He can't sell them.

#3018577 - 11/06/12 09:41 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Destroyed all of the backstraps on 2 deer? I don't think you do that even hunting with a .50 BMG round. What do you reckon he does with the backstraps? He can't sell them.

I know for a fact, because I personally know the processors. They grab a few steaks/chops and what ever they like off each deer they cut for their own supply. The one guys justicifaction is he doesn't have time to hunt because he is cutting up everyone elses deer, so he just helps himself to little.

Yet another reason to learn to process your own

FDXX75

#3018578 - 11/06/12 09:41 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
beechnut
12 Point

Loc: DRUMMONDS TN 38023

What do you reckon he does with the backstraps? He can't sell them.

Yeah and people cant hunt from the road either..... ;\)

#3018622 - 11/06/12 09:58 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Crosshairy
10 Point

As with most things, there are the less experienced crowd, and the more knowledgeable/selective crowd.

I know several people that don't know enough about deer meat to know what's good or not. They just want "some place" that is easy and fast to take their single deer per family per year, and that's it. I've actually had folks tell me "I really like that 'so-and-so processing company' will give me meat back right away. I just hate waiting." Their main criteria will be quality of packaging and price/convenience. These are the same people that don't really eat the deer much, and half of it is left in the freezer after 2 years. They just want to feel like a hunter.

Other folks kill enough deer, EAT enough deer, and know how to cook them to have specific opinions and knowledge about what is quality work.

Of the people that I personally know who hunt, I'd say that about 30-40% of them fall into the less selective first group, and their primary motivator is price and speed (like you mentioned).

I'm personally willing to spend up to around $100 for good quality work. My main criteria is packaging quality, meat trimming, and flavor of speciality products, with a lagging quality indicator of meat spoilage (I won't know whether they did a good job or not until I cook a package 9 or 10 months later).

I *WISH* I had a better way of knowing how well they do on meat recovery, but that's a tough one to track without weighing them first (which I rarely do). Still, it seems like I get back a large amount of trimmings on most jobs, so I'm happy.

If I get to the point where I'm bringing home 4+ deer a year, I'll probably look at doing some on my own during the gun season when it's cold enough that I don't have to rush through the work to keep it from spoiling. Realistically, most of that will have to wait a couple years until my kids aren't so

#3018632 - 11/06/12 10:02 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: beechnut]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

Ok on a average deer down here how many pounds of meat do you get. I did not realize it costed so much but I have never had one done. I learned to do it growing up and never thought of paying for it.

I do remember a time when I went hunting got 3 and hung them in the garage. When my wife came home and opened the garage door three deer were staring at her with tongue out. She would never eat deer but she sure loved venison \:\)

#3018850 - 11/06/12 11:48 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: waynesworld]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: waynesworld
Ok on a average deer down here how many pounds of meat do you get. I did not realize it costed so much but I have never had one done. I learned to do it growing up and never thought of paying for it.

I do remember a time when I went hunting got 3 and hung them in the garage. When my wife came home and opened the garage door three deer were staring at her with tongue out. She would never eat deer but she sure loved venison \:\)

I'd say that, down here, you'll often get 35 to 45 pounds of yield from a typical doe or young buck. Mature bucks can yield 60 to 90 pounds of meat. You're looking at about 40-45% maximum yield. Deer here probably average 130 pounds, so 50 pounds of meat should be average. That being said, if you drop your deer of to a processor on a weekend, especially a high volume weekend like a opener, you'll probably see less yield since they are pushing through them fast. The average processor doing an average job probably only gets a 30-35% yield. Adding fat to the ground can seemingly inflate these numbers, so keep that in mind when weighing your yield. Bone in roasts (which I like) will also reflect a different yield than a completely deboned job.

If your like me and you keep the tongues, heart, liver, cook the bones down for stock and keep entire neck roasts, you can probably crack 50% of body weigh yield.

#3019077 - 11/06/12 01:46 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

I'd say that, down here, you'll often get 35 to 45 pounds of yield from a typical doe or young buck. Mature bucks can yield 60 to 90 pounds of meat. You're looking at about 40-45% maximum yield. Deer here probably average 130 pounds, so 50 pounds of meat should be average. That being said, if you drop your deer of to a processor on a weekend, especially a high volume weekend like a opener, you'll probably see less yield since they are pushing through them fast. The average processor doing an average job probably only gets a 30-35% yield. Adding fat to the ground can seemingly inflate these numbers, so keep that in mind when weighing your yield. Bone in roasts (which I like) will also reflect a different yield than a completely deboned job.

If your like me and you keep the tongues, heart, liver, cook the bones down for stock and keep entire neck roasts, you can probably crack 50% of body weigh yield.

Those are pretty darn close figures to actual, Last yr. I weighed my two deer before and after just to see final yield, it was between 46% - 48% before adding to the ground meats. That was all deboned meat.

FDXX75

Edited by FULLDRAWXX75 (11/06/12 01:46 PM)

#3019094 - 11/06/12 01:58 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Those are pretty darn close figures to actual, Last yr. I weighed my two deer before and after just to see final yield, it was between 46% - 48% before adding to the ground meats. That was all deboned meat.

FDXX75

Those are good numbers.

#3019122 - 11/06/12 02:18 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

FDXX75

Those are good numbers.

I don't waste much, I even fillet out the rib meat for the grinder.

#3019294 - 11/06/12 03:40 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
16 Point

Loc: TN

Let's just say I bet he gets the best choice cut for supper every night.

This dude placed an ad in the small town shopper paper a few years ago that read- Still have leftover deer meat from people that never picked theirs up.
And gave his hours of operation. Reckon if you paid for processing you could buy some meat- but that's just a guess.

#3019332 - 11/06/12 03:52 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Let's just say I bet he gets the best choice cut for supper every night.

This dude placed an ad in the small town shopper paper a few years ago that read- Still have leftover deer meat from people that never picked theirs up.
And gave his hours of operation. Reckon if you paid for processing you could buy some meat- but that's just a guess.

Dang!

#3019723 - 11/06/12 07:30 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

Buford mathias up in Brownsville off exit 56 was great for the one in bow season. $65 and I got burger, sausage, steaks, back strap and tenderloin. Was probably 90 lbs of meat on a 180 lb field dressed deer
#3020169 - 11/06/12 10:04 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Inkstainz]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Mathias Processing has some great breakfast sausage.

#3020398 - 11/06/12 11:49 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: TAFKAP]
wgmac
4 Point

Loc: TN,Wilson Co.

I will never go back to lebanon locker. thought they did an awful job on each deer they have done for me. One last year and one the year before. And their shop smells bad and my meat ended up with that smell and taste to it.
#3020435 - 11/07/12 03:41 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: wgmac]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I talked to a friend yesterday for awhile that has worked in deer processors on and off over the years. He started doing it primarily to get good at cutting up deer, now he does it on the side when he needs some extra cash. He said that, having worked in multiple processing shops, he would never, ever, under any circumstance EVER take a deer to a deer processor.

#3020490 - 11/07/12 05:51 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
TITANSFAN2104
8 Point

Loc: watertown ,TN

The guy that does mine charges $20 per stick of summer sausage ,$20 for 1lb bag of jerky and $15 per 1 lb bag of slim jims. Two deer earlier in bow season made 15 sticks of sausage and 6 bags of slim jims that equaled about $400. He also makes some of the best sausage there is. It's well worth it. He also charges $55 for processing (steaks,burger and such) per deer
#3020594 - 11/07/12 07:05 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

He said that, having worked in multiple processing shops, he would never, ever, under any circumstance EVER take a deer to a deer processor.
Which ones did he work for? This way we will know for certain which ones to avoid. \:\)

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3020785 - 11/07/12 09:10 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: TITANSFAN2104]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Originally Posted By: TITANSFAN2104
The guy that does mine charges $20 per stick of summer sausage ,$20 for 1lb bag of jerky and $15 per 1 lb bag of slim jims. Two deer earlier in bow season made 15 sticks of sausage and 6 bags of slim jims that equaled about $400. He also makes some of the best sausage there is. It's well worth it. He also charges $55 for processing (steaks,burger and such) per deer

Holy smokes, that's pretty high.

I got a 3lb tube of jalapeno and cheddar summer sausage made last week for 8 bucks.

#3020792 - 11/07/12 09:13 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Crosshairy]
TITANSFAN2104
8 Point

People pay it and have been for years. The sticks are probably 24" by 3" across.

Edited by TITANSFAN2104 (11/07/12 09:14 AM)

#3021167 - 11/07/12 12:04 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: TITANSFAN2104]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

You know, summer sausage is not difficult to make. If you have a grinder and a smoker, you can make it pretty easily. The only ingredient that you will likely have to order is Fermento, which is just a couple of bucks. You do have to do it over a couple of days and it requires two grinding sessions.

Michael Ruhlman's book Charcuterie will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about sausage making and then some. Its not game recipes, but all of the recipes can be adapted for game meats if you add a little pork or beef fat here and there.

#3021179 - 11/07/12 12:15 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Andy S.]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
He said that, having worked in multiple processing shops, he would never, ever, under any circumstance EVER take a deer to a deer processor.
Which ones did he work for? This way we will know for certain which ones to avoid. \:\)

Wasn't any around here that he worked at.

#3021397 - 11/07/12 01:58 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
53caddy
4 Point

Loc: Harrison, TN

Originally Posted By: 53caddy

Does the $65 include ground meat?

Yes but he usually does 2 lb packages so I ask for 1 lb packages

#3021442 - 11/07/12 02:16 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: 53caddy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Another question (Take a educated guess): Each year, hunters kill about 6 million deer. What percent would you say end up at commercial processors vs. DIY processing?

I'm asking because these numbers don't exist and I am not sure if I have the best frame of reference for answering that question.

#3021483 - 11/07/12 02:34 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Hm...I bet that varies from state to state a good bit, too. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Of the people that I know, I'd say it's probably 3/4 of the *people* that use a processor.

As we all know, some folks kill a larger quantity of deer than others.

I guess that the ones who kill larger volume are much more likely to butcher their own, so I would guess it might be 2/3 of the deer killed that are processed. Who knows...those numbers may be totally different in other areas of the state or country though.

#3021493 - 11/07/12 02:38 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Crosshairy]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

I would agree with the 2/3 take it to the processor but that is just a wild guess. I think most hunters don't know how or want to take the time to process their own deer. I take about 1/3 to the processor and do the other myself.

#3021540 - 11/07/12 02:58 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Crosshairy]
Bullfrog
6 Point

Loc: Ky Lake

Barrett's, in Big Sandy, starts off at $50.00, on up to $60.00 for a deer over 130lbs, for a basic cut. She uses zip lock bags, but i've never had a problem with any of the meat.

Hargorove's, in Paris, will run you $60 to $70 for a vacuum sealed cut.

Butcher Block, in Camden starts at $70, vacuum sealed any way you want it.

#3021747 - 11/07/12 04:46 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
TITANSFAN2104
8 Point

You know, summer sausage is not difficult to make. If you have a grinder and a smoker, you can make it pretty easily. The only ingredient that you will likely have to order is Fermento, which is just a couple of bucks. You do have to do it over a couple of days and it requires two grinding sessions.

Michael Ruhlman's book Charcuterie will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about sausage making and then some. Its not game recipes, but all of the recipes can be adapted for game meats if you add a little pork or beef fat here and there.

It's not that I'm worried about making it ... I just don't have time. This guy does great work so I just take the easy,fast way out although it costs me a little

#3022366 - 11/07/12 10:28 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

content Online

Ok, but if I were hiring you to process a deer just like you do your own: 90 minutes of your time in a specialized area. What would you charge me?

i would say 60-80

#3022370 - 11/07/12 10:33 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Inkstainz]
redblood
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Inkstainz
Buford mathias up in Brownsville off exit 56 was great for the one in bow season. $65 and I got burger, sausage, steaks, back strap and tenderloin. Was probably 90 lbs of meat on a 180 lb field dressed deer

that is a great dressing percentage. very few willdo half. heck a good grain fed steer usually only catch 55-60%

#3022603 - 11/08/12 06:40 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: redblood]
htnseymour
8 Point

Loc: sevier county Tn

I process my own and have for the last two years. It does take some time, but I bought a broke down single door coke cooler from a gas station for 10 bucks. $25 later with a new compressor from a supply store I have a place I can put my quartered deer in that is temp regulated. I can cut down muscles easily from my days working at a slaughter house and being a trained chef. I find it tastes better when I do it. I make all my own sausage, snack sticks, and jerky. Its not labor intensive if you spend some money on bulk dry pre-mixed seasonings from food suppliers like GFS Market. I would say avaerage is 3/4 take deer to processors and you get about 35-38% yield based on prior experience.

#3022753 - 11/08/12 08:05 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: redblood]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Inkstainz

that is a great dressing percentage. very few willdo half. heck a good grain fed steer usually only catch 55-60%

Well now that he is busy may not be so much of a percentage. He only had 3 deer the whole week when I dropped it off mine being one of the 3. This probably allowed him more time with it than when he gets busier during Muzzle loader and rifle

#3022883 - 11/08/12 09:06 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Inkstainz]
AROD
8 Point

Loc: maynardville, tn

i use adams in powell. no complaints from me!

#3023438 - 11/08/12 03:34 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: AROD]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Alright, here it is: http://gocarnivore.com/2012/11/08/commercial-deer-processors-what-you-need-to-know/

Thanks for the input.

#3026883 - 11/10/12 07:54 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Crosshairy]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
Hm...I bet that varies from state to state a good bit, too. But perhaps I'm wrong.

Of the people that I know, I'd say it's probably 3/4 of the *people* that use a processor.

As we all know, some folks kill a larger quantity of deer than others.

I guess that the ones who kill larger volume are much more likely to butcher their own, so I would guess it might be 2/3 of the deer killed that are processed. Who knows...those numbers may be totally different in other areas of the state or country though.
I have to agree with this.I used to take all my deer to a guy who would process them the way I wanted for $100.The last year I had any deer processed I killed 8.That was $800 I could have saved for myself.I kill a lot of deer to feed my familiy.We hardly ever eat store bought meat.

#3028662 - 11/12/12 01:19 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

wish I could offer some input, but I can't. A deer costs me a couple hours to process with a sharp knife.

#3029116 - 11/12/12 09:17 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
buttercup&daisy
4 Point

Loc: coffee county, tn

I use champions in Hillsboro, tn they are great and never had any issues. They run about sixty or so
#3030075 - 11/12/12 05:54 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: buttercup&daisy]
Swampster
4 Point

Loc: Huron, TN, USA

I thought processing was high at Three Way, but sounds like they are in the market. I started doing my own last year. It was depressing to think about what I was paying for "free" deer - at least free after the cost of the bullet. There is no way that store bought meat has $1 - $2 lb processing cost in it.
#3030469 - 11/12/12 11:11 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Swampster]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Store bought meat also has bazillions of other sales dollars to cover the overhead cost of butchering. Besides, so many of them are relying on large-quantity processing houses to send pre-butchered meat anymore, that all they have to do is pay a guy $7/hour to slice steaks out. Plus, grocery stores operate year round. And in the instance of Dino's sausage, they shut down their year-round operation to prepare for deer processing. Full-scale teardown and clean up for a USDA inspection after deer season is required, as well.

#3035266 - 11/15/12 07:01 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I do most of mine myself, albeit I don't kill many deer. If I had the time, plus a deep freeze, I would probably shoot as many as I could to fill my freezer. But I pretty much have to have an open Saturday morning to do so. I enjoy cutting them up myself, and I enjoy showing the wife the deer parts and "showing off" how much of a good ole country boy I am.
I use to get most processed, but it being 70 dollars at both places near me just send to be too high. One processor gives lots of meat back and the other hardly any. I only used him once. Off of a guess 80 pound doe, minus backstraps, tenerloins, and and neck roast, I think I got ten pounds of burger which I thought was terrible. This was last season and I think it cost sixty dollars. Now both are seventy. At least the processor I normally use gives you probably thirty pounds of ground back from a similar deer.

#3038634 - 11/18/12 08:42 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: AROD]
7mm08
12 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Buddy of mine shot a nice 8pt last year with a .308 ballistic tip bullet. No pass thru and we couldn't find it. When he got his deer back from Adam's last year they had the bullet in a Baggie for him!

Good clean cuts and vacuumed sealed.

#3038649 - 11/18/12 08:52 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: 7mm08]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Like everything else prices keep going up.Small towns in the sticks:) $65 to $75 is a common price range.I don't have any experence with big city processors.From reading TNDeer they are going to charge a much more inflated rate.If you want any kind of sausage plan on paying alot more. I always want to know if I'm getting MY deer back.Way too many places go the quick and easy route. They weigh your deer when you bring it in and tell you exactly to the pound how much you'll get back.I've found most places that don't weigh it 1st thing or Garantee a certain weight back just cut them and grind them all together .If your lucky you'll get your backstraps.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3040712 - 11/19/12 03:37 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: AROD]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

Originally Posted By: AROD
i use adams in powell. no complaints from me!
me too. like the way they vaccuum pack it.
i do have a horror story about 20 years ago , took a deer to a place in roane co. thaw out a pack of steaks. go to wash off the steak and there is hair all over it. flip it over and there is pieces of gravel or somekind of grit and a pine needle stuck to it. he was one that would leave them piled on top of each other. I learned that the hard way and never took another down there.

#3040719 - 11/19/12 03:40 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: catman529]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529
wish I could offer some input, but I can't. A deer costs me a couple hours to process with a sharp knife.

This was the first time I've ever dealt with a quartered deer. I took it to Dino's, who charges $11/quarter. I threw in some chunked out meat from the carcass to include with the grind, but I think compared to his $125 whole-deer package, I have no reason not to quarter them out. Not much more than a field dress...plus, I have control over the hair, "wasted" meat, and other factors.

#3040965 - 11/19/12 06:50 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: TAFKAP]
sure shot
8 Point

Loc: robertson,co TN

well here goes a buddy of mine dropped one off at that "cedar hill" processor few years back nasty place cooler had stanking ole ungutted buck left in there processing room was 80 deg. buddy never got called on his deer,i told him feel lucky !! ive used "wrays " in around ashland city never again robbed me half my deer ! place that isnt open anymore on wolf mtn in bethpage awesome butcher cuts 55 $ on a small deer,always clean and cold. ive used "rainwaters" in springfield hes old and his help is in a hurry,hair in meat blood shot meat,packaging sucks,temp processing room "hot" and saws arent clean either !! i quit using him 3 yrs ago buddy still goes there...i used "grissoms" in greenbriar before ole chucky burnt it down...price was reasonable, cut was reasonable, mostly clean, but my yeild was always low especially 1x i had sausage made and she brings me 10 sticks....i said i dont think so. shes said well we can make it right??? i dont know where they got all the spare meat from???? never went back...last year and year before i used "shackle island meats" never ever again!!!! nasty packaged meats looked half rotten had to throw alot out and they ruined the backstrap by running the saw threw it was disgusting !! now im at "Flowers" meat looks clean,packaged well,ground is good,sausage is awesome !! there pricing is a little higher as far as specialty items sausage,jerky,snack sticks etc. but.....you get what you pay for ,they do good work and assured me 100% my meat is all my deer !!

#3045833 - 11/23/12 11:16 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: 53caddy]
wildb1
6 Point

Loc: Northern Texas

My hunting buddy and I do our own deer. We drive to Western Kentucky from Central Florida. We got 4 this year. Did 2, 100 does in about 8 hours from skinning to grinding and in the freezer. We started doing our own because the last time we picked one up from a processor, it wasn't even our deer. The processor found our ticket in the back of the stack and our deer was still hanging. He gave us someone else's deer! Who knows how it was handled before dropping it off. That's when we decided to do our own. I am glad we did and the money we saved the 1st year we did our own paid for the grinder and foodsaver. I think we paid $85 for standard processing; ground, steaks, loins and roasts.

And I'd expect $25 an hour fully processed and bagged.

#3053231 - 11/28/12 11:03 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: wildb1]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I take my deer to Mac's in Winchester. There are other processors around the area but I don't trust the seasonal places that just set up shop for deer then close down as soon as deer season ends. Mac's is a full time year-round butcher shop that I feel more comfortable with. And of course I can't prove I get my own deer back because I don't stand there and watch them do the work but the fact that they won't even start cutting a deer until it hangs about 2 weeks in the cooler - regardless of their backlog - is a good indicator that they aren't just pushing meat out the door with no regard for who gets what. Also they keep the rack for you if it's a buck - not sure if all places do that or not.

Their basic cost is either $60 or $65 (can't recall exactly). Summer sausage costs an extra $25 for 25lbs. Ground meat is packaged in 1lb tubes and other meat in freezer wax paper with stamped labels.

I used to do my own deer but doubt I ever will again when I can get it done so well for so little cost.

#3053373 - 11/28/12 01:10 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Hunter 257W]
Robtattoo
4 Point

Loc: Tullahoma, TN.

I had 2 done at W & W processors in Winchester, along with some other taxidermy work, which was faultless.

The first deer I asked for more steaks than burger, no extra fat added in the ground meat.
The 'steaks' were the rear hams sliced across the bone on a bandsaw. There was fat, bone chips & marrow smeared all over every single steak. The ground meat contained a lot of deer fat, making the whole thing unpalatable. I figured that I'd give them a second chance, however the second was just as bad.
I come from a family of pig farmers & butchers & I know that this is standard practice with non-game meats, as the fat melts at a low temperature & adds flavor & moistness to the meat. However deer fat melts too high to be pleasantly edible. Surely he should know this?!
Anyhoo, it cost me $75 per deer (I believe he has upped his price for 2012, but I don't know to what) with no sausage, jerky or anything other than steaks, roasts & ground.
Can't complain about the price, but the quality of the cutting was poor. I still have some in the freezer from 2010 (I've just avoided it!) & it is still good & not burnt. He vacuum seals the meat & the packaging is good.
Since then, I've re-learnt how to butcher & cut meat & I have been doing my own for the last 2 years. This year I have been doing a few for friends as well & all I've asked is that they supply the vacuum rolls/bags at a rate of one roll per deer. So far I've fully processes (Including hand grinding!) 16 deer for 7 different guys & I haven't had any complaints (and I HAVE asked!)
For me to completely skin, quarter, debone, cut & grind a deer takes around 4 hours. I remove ALL visible sinew & fat from every cut. I try to get about a 45% yield, where possible.
If I had to put a dollar value on a deer that I was processing, I don't think $50 would be out of the way. I enjoy the job, to be honest!

#3054845 - 11/29/12 10:34 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Hunter 257W]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
I take my deer to Mac's in Winchester. There are other processors around the area but I don't trust the seasonal places that just set up shop for deer then close down as soon as deer season ends. Mac's is a full time year-round butcher shop that I feel more comfortable with. And of course I can't prove I get my own deer back because I don't stand there and watch them do the work but the fact that they won't even start cutting a deer until it hangs about 2 weeks in the cooler - regardless of their backlog - is a good indicator that they aren't just pushing meat out the door with no regard for who gets what. Also they keep the rack for you if it's a buck - not sure if all places do that or not.

Their basic cost is either $60 or $65 (can't recall exactly). Summer sausage costs an extra $25 for 25lbs. Ground meat is packaged in 1lb tubes and other meat in freezer wax paper with stamped labels.

I used to do my own deer but doubt I ever will again when I can get it done so well for so little cost.

Sounds like a fantastic source for processing.

#3056796 - 11/30/12 11:58 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: ]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

I am trying Owl Holler Processing in Lafayette. It's $60 a deer for standard cut. $3/lb to make summer sausage, $4/lb to add cheese to it, and $5/lb for breakfast sausages.

I'll let you know how it turns out, but I hope well since they are 10 minutes from the property I hunt and on the way home.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3056892 - 11/30/12 01:07 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Redfred16]
JA1234
10 Point

Loc: just a hair or two north of th...

holy crap 5 bucks a pound for breakfast sausage???? I just made 15 lbs the other day along with 39 pounds of bacon burger I bet that would be 5$ a lb or more at that place so in that I had 45 lbs of deer meat so 45 @5 = 225 and I still got some steaks and backstraps too. woohoo I made some money by doing it myself at those prices that day.

I been taking my summer sausage meat and smoked link sausage meat to a guy in MS when I go visit for the holidays...but at the prices I am seeing here and the prices he charges and for knowing I get my very well cared for meat back and it hasn't laid with hairy and gutsy I think I will ...I know I will learn to smoke meat better...man...my 99 dollar grinder has long been paid for ... 5 bucks a lb FOR sausage... I remember when I thought .99 cents a pound was high for it LOL

#3056996 - 11/30/12 02:08 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: JA1234]
Redfred16
8 Point

Originally Posted By: JA1234
holy crap 5 bucks a pound for breakfast sausage???? I just made 15 lbs the other day along with 39 pounds of bacon burger I bet that would be 5$ a lb or more at that place so in that I had 45 lbs of deer meat so 45 @5 = 225 and I still got some steaks and backstraps too. woohoo I made some money by doing it myself at those prices that day.

I been taking my summer sausage meat and smoked link sausage meat to a guy in MS when I go visit for the holidays...but at the prices I am seeing here and the prices he charges and for knowing I get my very well cared for meat back and it hasn't laid with hairy and gutsy I think I will ...I know I will learn to smoke meat better...man...my 99 dollar grinder has long been paid for ... 5 bucks a lb FOR sausage... I remember when I thought .99 cents a pound was high for it LOL

I didn't get any made, but those were the prices. I did get the minimum amount of summer sausage made and if its good, it'll be worth it. If not I'll hand it out to co-workers that want venision but don't hunt .

"Recon Ready"

#3057021 - 11/30/12 02:25 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: JA1234]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Just got a call from Dino's in Memphis. He charged me $54 for this ticket

#3057041 - 11/30/12 02:34 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Redfred16]
Super8
8 Point

Loc: USofA

With the right equiptment it is easier but that equiptment costs money.
I currently pay $90.00
for standard cut steaks,burger,breakfast sausage.

I have processed several over the years myself and while it doesn't take long to skin a deer and quarter it out I despise the cleanup.

Knives have to be cleaned,grinder cleaned,work table,heck even the clothes I wear at the time are nasty after the job.

I dont mind paying to have it done and $90.00 is fair. As long as they dont leave hair in the meat and remove the grissel and dont grind any bone up I will use the processor.
Also I like the idea of hanging the meat for a few days in the cooler which I also do not have.

I still manage to do one myself each year to remind me why I pay a processor, but I've been quartering them up and taking my time, usually take one quarter and cut it up for jerky meat one day.
Then grind another quarter next time for burger.
Slicing the tenderloins and packaging them another time.
Even made my own sausage links a few weeks ago, but like I said it is a mess and takes just as long to get everything cleaned up.

#3057118 - 11/30/12 03:40 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Super8]
Crosshairy
10 Point

TAFKAP, do you consider that to be an OK price? It seems a bit high to me for quarters, but I guess it's partially inflated because of the add-on for the $8 summer sausage.

I've used Dino's exclusively for the last 3 years, but I always bring them skin-on field dressed deer.

So far I've been happy with the cleanliness of the steak cuts. It always seems like my yield is pretty good, too. I've only had one problem with a bullet fragment in a package of summer sausage (a year or two ago), but it's hard to find those when a MZ hollow point explodes on a shoulder blade...

#3057213 - 11/30/12 05:12 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Crosshairy]
TAFKAP
14 Point

This was the third deer I've taken to the processor. I enjoy the Dino's products, and considering my options, this was the most convenient. But $54 vs. $125 plus add-ons for a whole deer, I'll take it every time. I'm about to go pick it up.

Cheers!

#3057218 - 11/30/12 05:18 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Good move on getting the shanks. I just got a new recipe book that has a few shank and neck roast recipes I'm looking to try.

#3059678 - 12/02/12 03:06 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Turns out, Jose Domingo Juarez doesn't understand "shanks". The guy I talked to apologized profusely, and suggested I call ahead of time and talk to him instead of just writing it down. He says his Mexican guy debones all the meats pretty quickly, and they didn't catch it until after mine had already gone to the grinder.

#3060406 - 12/02/12 09:25 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: TAFKAP]
Polecat
10 Point

Loc: Burns, Tn. USA

Years ago I carried one to a processor, dropped it off, got a call a week later that the deer was ready. Went and picked it up, quantity of meat seemed right with nothing unusual. A few nights later I opened a pack of chops that I had thawed for the grill. As I was separating them I started finding metal shavings. A few chops later I found a section of an aluminum arrow, an XX75 Camo Hunter, that had penetrated the spine and broke off and was then sliced into several sections with the meat band saw. At that point I knew I had the wrong deer because mine had been shot through the ribs with a Easton Autumn Orange Hunter and it's had been a complete pass through.

#3060797 - 12/03/12 08:12 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Polecat]
HuntingDicksonDTC
8 Point

Loc: Dickson

Poser,

know it wanst the pic you were talking about but a few years back went to a place in Dickson to drop a deer off & they had a pile of deer -probably 50+ deer just laying in the dirty wet floor i saw that & left. Carried the buck i got this year to another place it dressed weight was 180lbs got back 71 lbs of "meat" that was with packaging etc. thought was low weight- got 6 lbs of summer sausage & was $93 total

Treat a man as he could be & he will become what he should be.

#3061746 - 12/03/12 06:27 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: ]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3061745&page=0#Post3061745

#3061750 - 12/03/12 06:29 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

5 or more walmartbags is a big deer, 4 walmart bags is a good deer. 2 walmart bags is a small deer. \:\)

#3067060 - 12/06/12 09:05 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Poser]
wwa7
4 Point

Loc: West Tennessee

I used a processor in north ms this yr bc i heard good things about him.... he screwed me. A friend of mine took him two does i killed during bowseason. Both does live weight was 130lb. I wanted everthing done in burger. When he picked it up, i got 13 sticks of burger, each stick weighing bt a lb. and a lb. and 1/2..... never again. (i cut the backstraps and loins out before he took the does
#3069291 - 12/08/12 11:59 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: wwa7]
CHASING WHITETAILS
Spike

Loc: MOUNT JULIET

I would never step foot in Lebanon Meat Locker for sure.But there is one a guy by the name of Al that runs North Lebanon Deer Processing that in my opinion does a great job.Very clean place and super nice guy to deal with.Charges around 75.00 for standard cut and also is involved with Hunters for the Hungry and does it on donations only.
#3071218 - 12/09/12 04:54 PM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: CHASING WHITETAILS]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

we began processing our own deer over a decade ago. Toady all my kids are involved and its a family affair that we actually look forward to. When we started we used a hand crank meat grinder and that sucked pretty bad. Finally decided to buy a good electric meat grinder and we are still at it a decade later. Processors are like anything else some good, some not to good. In today's economy I just cant see throwing that money away. A meat grinder (400), some good fillet knives, a sharpener, and a little time is really all you need. There are 3 of of deer hunting so my investment paid for itself the first season.
#3084994 - 12/18/12 10:31 AM Re: Deer Processor Prices & Horror Stories? [Re: Fordman]
Redfred16
8 Point

I used Owl Holler Processing in Lafayette on my doe I got Thanksgiving weekend. Overall I've happy with thier price and quality of work.

It was $60 base price for standard cut. $4lb for summer sausage, min 10 pounds. $5lb for summer sausage with cheese, min 10 pounds, they did breakfast sausage but I don't remember the price, but again min 10 pounds.

I got the standard sumer sausage, it tastes good. I prefer mine to not be ground quite as fine, but again no real complaint, the flavor is there and everyone that's tried it has liked it.

"Recon Ready"

Page all of 10 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
73 registered (Thunderroost, southernhunter, TN hunter, tonkatoy, John3, devo1980, 7 invisible) and 155 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99437 Topics
1169716 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.058 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.