Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3000143 - 10/26/12 10:47 AM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: TNGunhunter]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Easy answer. Thieves can't see red flash cameras firing off at night from a distance AND red flash cameras are still quite a bit less expensive than black flash cameras, although black flash cameras are getting better and cheaper every 3-6 months. Eventually black flash cameras will reach a price point that most people are willing to pay and red flash cameras will go the way of the dinosaur. I expect the same thing will eventually happen with cellular cameras as they continue to become less expensive.

#3000554 - 10/26/12 03:38 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: TNGunhunter]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online
dont understand either

#3000564 - 10/26/12 03:43 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: gil1]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

Originally Posted By: gil1
Sounds like I'm offending some folks, and I didn't mean to do so. My apologies...

Sorry if I sounded offended, I'm not. Just explaining why I have what I have. $$$$$$..

I'm like the rest of the guys. I am just using it to pattern the deer. Sometimes I get annoyed cause I cant tell 'if thats an 8 pointer or not', but for the most part.. 1 set of batteries for the entire season.. sign me up.

#3000578 - 10/26/12 03:52 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: DntBrnDPig]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I hate the night time picture quality of a IR or red glow camera.THey just plain SUCK!! Unless the deer are standing completely still,you will get a blurry pic if its moving its head or walking just the least little bit.Not to mention they DO scare deer.And nobody can tell me different.I'll take my white flash cams over the IR cams any day.They might be harder on batteries,but the picture quality makes up for it.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3000701 - 10/26/12 05:46 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: cecil30-30]
FIREMANJIM
6 Point

Loc: DECHERD, TN

For those folks who believe the "Red Glow" does NOT scare the deer look at these videos. Replaced the cam with a black flash but have not seen this buck at this location since. Found him about a half mile away though. Hopefully we will have "close up and personal" pics of him tomorrow morning with my 11 year old son's hands wrapped around his rack!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZV9ivOHzXM&feature=share&list=UUOaQgvkMCqpfkpGgIXL4foQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0cAUaDTa10&feature=share&list=UUOaQgvkMCqpfkpGgIXL4foQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12YopgEnNmw&feature=share&list=UUOaQgvkMCqpfkpGgIXL4foQ

#3000806 - 10/26/12 06:52 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: FIREMANJIM]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

I bought mine for the price; and it is getting hard to find white flash cameras in stores. Seems like they've been replaced with the IR and "black flash" stuff. I agree though, the flash cameras take much better night time pics but its about like trying to find a VHS copy of a movie vs a DVD now days...the IR cams being the DVDs. I haven't noticed any difference between each version spooking more/less deer than the others. I have all 3 versions of the cams. I have noticed that one of my earlier Truth cams (Truth 46) will make a very audible click sound when it takes a pic. I can hear it several yards away and I'm hard of hearing. I have a newer Truth 35, Blackout, and Truth 46 Ultra...none of them make the loud click sound.

For no more than what I am doing with the cams...they are doing their purpose. I just want to see what kind of stuff is coming through the areas I put them in. I don't have to have crystal clear pics that I'm going to make an 8x10 out of and frame it on the wall. I just want the kind of info like...well I had my cam out in this spot for 2 weeks undisturbed and I got 380 pics...of the same doe and two fawns. That's valuable info for me of where not to climb a tree lol

#3001273 - 10/27/12 07:02 AM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: Crow Terminator]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Honestly, if your only goal for a trail-cam is to find out if any quality bucks are moving through a given area, and once that question is answered you plan on moving the camera to a new location, there is no reason to use anything but white-flash (unless theft is a major concern). White flash cameras take much better night-time pictures without the problems of motion blur (a moving deer's image being heavily blurred).

The problem with visible flash cameras (both white-flash and red-glow) isn't so much the flash scaring the deer (called camera "spook"), it is deer learning to avoid the camera over time (camera "avoidance"). Camera avoidance is not obviously apparent when looking at the pictures taken. A deer may calmly look at the camera as it flashes away at them in the night, hence give the impression it isn't scaring the deer, but over time the deer learn to avoid the camera and are no longer photographed at that location, even though the deer haven't changed locations. I've watched deer become so good at avoiding cameras that they had determined the exact dimensions of the area that will trigger the camera, and continue to stay active in the general area but remember the exact area they need to avoid to keep from trigger the camera (and the visible flash). For cameras on trails and the edges of food plots, I've seen deer walk right up to the trigger area of the camera, turn and walk behind the tree the camera is strapped to, and then return to the trail or food plot once they are past the camera's trigger area.

But camera avoidance is only a problem for those who want to keep a camera in one location for several weeks or months. If you plan on moving the camera fairly frequently, camera avoidance isn't an issue.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3006744 - 10/29/12 10:05 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

I initially bought red glow cameras because of the price and I was under the assumption that they would not spook deer as much as the white flash cams. I soon found out that the red glow spooked them more.

If I could go back, I would have nothing but black flash and white flash. Black flash for just about everything and white flash for distance pics (fields, etc....)

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
71 registered (Southpaw, firedog, jmoreland, bradshaw34, HDUKE1986, JACO0334, 6 invisible) and 109 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91563 Topics
1070363 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.