Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2998624 - 10/25/12 12:21 PM Why Red Flash Cameras?
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Not just why do consumers buy them, why do they make them?

Here's my reasoning for the question...

White flash cams take much better photos and scare animals about the same or maybe even less depending on who you talk to.

True infrared or black flash cams take equally crappy photos (especially at night), but they are much better because the flash doesn't scare animals.

No matter whether you like better photos or less afraid animals, you have a better option. So why would consumers buy or producers make red flash cams?

This is not just for curiosity...I'm writing an article. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#2998655 - 10/25/12 12:36 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: gil1]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Because they can be marketed as not scaring animals as much, whether that is true or not.

In addition, they are much less likely to be seen by trespassers, thieves. Generally, a person has to be looking right at one to see the red glow at night.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2998674 - 10/25/12 12:46 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: BSK]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

I have a Truth Cam 35. I'm guessing that's a red flash camera.. I have it next to one of my stand setups. Several times I have walked in and gotten my picture taken in the dark of night and I did not realize it. However, one time I was intentionally trying to catch it take my picture and noticed it did glow red.

So yeah, what BSK said. They are pretty stealthy at night. And the camera was cheap and takes decent pictures.

The question is why not?

#2998823 - 10/25/12 02:16 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: DntBrnDPig]
TNGunhunter
6 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

Originally Posted By: DntBrnDPig
I have a Truth Cam 35. I'm guessing that's a red flash camera.. I have it next to one of my stand setups. Several times I have walked in and gotten my picture taken in the dark of night and I did not realize it. However, one time I was intentionally trying to catch it take my picture and noticed it did glow red.

So yeah, what BSK said. They are pretty stealthy at night. And the camera was cheap and takes decent pictures.
I own same camera. As I am not entering photos in some kind of contest, I'm happy with the pics. It's doing it's designed job of letting me know what's passing by it. It's also cheap...and I'm happy with it!!

The question is why not?

#2998827 - 10/25/12 02:17 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: DntBrnDPig]
TNGunhunter
6 Point

I own same camera.

The question is why not?

As I am not entering photos in some kind of contest, I'm happy with the pics. It's doing it's designed job of letting me know what's passing by it. It's also cheap...and I'm happy with it!!

#2999011 - 10/25/12 04:42 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: TNGunhunter]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: TNGunhunter

I own same camera.

The question is why not?

As I am not entering photos in some kind of contest, I'm happy with the pics. It's doing it's designed job of letting me know what's passing by it. It's also cheap...and I'm happy with it!!

Sounds like I'm offending some folks, and I didn't mean to do so. My apologies...

Dr. Saxton Pope

#2999041 - 10/25/12 05:04 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: gil1]
Columbia Scott
8 Point

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee

Why? My reasoning is simple: No one sees my cameras go off and steals them, the deer don't get scared by them, I don't need a beautiful picture of my deer, just want to know what's there and the batteries last all season. Love my Primos Truth 35's and my Scoutguard SG550V. Anyone still using whiteflash 35mm film cameras?

#2999312 - 10/25/12 08:03 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
Because they can be marketed as not scaring animals as much, whether that is true or not.

IMO, it is mostly MARKETING HYPE.

I see no difference in how most deer begin avoiding traditional white flash vs. the so-called "infrared" red flash, other than some deer are more afraid of red flash. I suspect white flash seems more "natural" to a deer since they frequently experience lightning.

The only reason I see where red flash can be of benefit (over white flash) is due to humans being less likely to see the flash. But you pay a high price in getting much lower quality nighttime pics with red flash.

Black flash is a different story. Even though the nighttime pics won't be as good as white flash, you'll typically get a lot more pics, many of which are good enough for my purposes. If your main purpose is high quality pics (day and night), a homebrew using white flash is the only option.

#2999326 - 10/25/12 08:09 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: BSK]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

IMO, it is mostly MARKETING HYPE.

I see no difference in how most deer begin avoiding traditional white flash vs. the so-called "infrared" red flash, other than some deer are more afraid of red flash. I suspect white flash seems more "natural" to a deer since they frequently experience lightning.

The only reason I see where red flash can be of benefit (over white flash) is due to humans being less likely to see the flash. But you pay a high price in getting much lower quality nighttime pics with red flash.

Black flash is a different story. Even though the nighttime pics won't be as good as white flash, you'll typically get a lot more pics, many of which are good enough for my purposes. If your main purpose is high quality pics (day and night), a homebrew using white flash is the only option.

#2999586 - 10/25/12 10:40 PM Re: Why Red Flash Cameras? [Re: Wes Parrish]
TNGunhunter
6 Point

I bought my primos mostly for the price...very happy with it!
:-)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (dcsoldier44) and 50 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.