Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3002912 - 10/28/12 07:06 AM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: BlackBelt]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: BlackBelt
If you use the can call incorrectly you will run off every deer that can hear it.
Most people turn the call over and let it "blaaaaaah" until it quits. They dont realize they have just made whats called an 'alarm bleat' and have put every deer around on high alert for danger.
If you didnt know that, go to youtube and type in "the deer doctor"...which is a guy named peter fiduccia (or something like that) and watch his free video on the 5 different sounds deer make and what each means.

Primos should have included that little nugget of info on the packaging. Guess they just wanted me to buy it, realize it is more suited as a toy for my 3 year old, and then buy some other type of Primos Snake Oil.

#3007734 - 10/30/12 03:59 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: BlountArrow]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

I carry two different grunt tubes(different tones to them) at all times, and I save all my tarsal glands(buck & does) from every deer I take, they get bagged and labeled and frozen. I use them in different areas from which they were taken throughout the entire season. I will hang one off my pack and on stand.
I have had other deer come in to check out the stranger in their area when one is hanging on a tree branch.

#3015302 - 11/04/12 12:42 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Any time from now until the end of the season I won't be in the woods without a grunt call and in most cases, an estrous doe call hanging around my neck. I know there are those that have had good success with the can call but it's never worked for me and I prefer the tube calls. In a few instances I may play with scents but the calls are my go to main stay.

#3083374 - 12/17/12 11:36 AM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: BlackBelt]
deerthug78
Spike

Loc: tn,roane

i myself use the can call, primos buck roar, and a lohman 8 to 1 adjustable call throughtout the season and have had alot of deer come into my calling. the lohman is on doe bleat an during the call it changes octives an ive seen it myself an had others with me when it changes octives it just breaks them they gotta see that deer lol the lohman is the 1st deer call i ever got back when i was 16-17 an im 34 now. I've even used it calling bucks chasing does away from me some would stop in there tracks n look some would stop turn an come to me lol just my observations. but i also use tinks 69.
#3280730 - 07/02/13 02:28 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: BlountArrow]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
 Originally Posted By: BlackBelt
If you use the can call incorrectly you will run off every deer that can hear it.
Most people turn the call over and let it "blaaaaaah" until it quits. They dont realize they have just made whats called an 'alarm bleat' and have put every deer around on high alert for danger.
If you didnt know that, go to youtube and type in "the deer doctor"...which is a guy named peter fiduccia (or something like that) and watch his free video on the 5 different sounds deer make and what each means.

Primos should have included that little nugget of info on the packaging. Guess they just wanted me to buy it, realize it is more suited as a toy for my 3 year old, and then buy some other type of Primos Snake Oil.

By Golly, you are right BlountArrow. I did not know that and have been "blattting" full blast as long as the can would go. Thanks for the advice. Here's the video you must have been talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJMGYuEdVmM&list=PLA34757D4C3D562FC

#3280967 - 07/02/13 07:43 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: Hunter 257W]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Even more amazing is that bucks "immediately respond" according to the video. I always shook my bleat can a little to make it sound like a doe was getting hammered by a rival buck and REALLY enjoying it. That never worked either though. I guess anything works once in a while, just not for me; must be my technique.

#3281600 - 07/03/13 01:20 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: BlountArrow]
pastorbmp
10 Point

Loc: Wartburg,TN

I have never had any success with scents, though some hunters swear by them. But, I would never go to the woods without grunt call, can call and rattle horns/bag.

1Ti 1:15: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

#3282191 - 07/04/13 09:42 AM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: BlackBelt]
danny1975
8 Point

Loc: milledgeville,tn

during rut I use a grunt call and had great success with it . But if he is on a doe, its not going to make any difference. and as for scents the only luck I had with them is I had a great day killing yotes.
#3282669 - 07/04/13 08:59 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: danny1975]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

My opinion is the majority of deer hunters would kill more bucks if they used no scents whatsoever and no calls whatsoever. That's not to say that both scents and calls don't work sometimes. But I do believe most users are confusing happenstance with a false assumption of cause & effect. Yes, sometimes you grunt, and a buck comes running. But how many times does grunting spook a buck you didn't see, one which might have been coming towards you if you had been quite?

I've also had estrous doe urine bring in a buck. But more often, I've seen it spook a doe, which in turn spooked multiple bucks.

Probably the biggest problem is over-use, and use under the wrong circumstances and wrong times, not realizing the deer are pin-pointing your location, when they otherwise might never have been alerted to your presence.

#3287559 - 07/10/13 01:40 PM Re: Call/Scent or nothing? [Re: Wes Parrish]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
My opinion is the majority of deer hunters would kill more bucks if they used no scents whatsoever and no calls whatsoever. That's not to say that both scents and calls don't work sometimes. But I do believe most users are confusing happenstance with a false assumption of cause & effect. Yes, sometimes you grunt, and a buck comes running. But how many times does grunting spook a buck you didn't see, one which might have been coming towards you if you had been quite?

I've also had estrous doe urine bring in a buck. But more often, I've seen it spook a doe, which in turn spooked multiple bucks.

Probably the biggest problem is over-use, and use under the wrong circumstances and wrong times, not realizing the deer are pin-pointing your location, when they otherwise might never have been alerted to your presence.

I agree. I think alot of these products are sold as miracles and you are suppose to use them all the time and you will kill big mature bucks but that is simply not the case. People have been killing deer since before any of this stuff was out. They can be a great tool to have and use but only under the right circumstances. I have learned my lesson on using calls for sure.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (Mr.Squirrel, mossyoakmantn, paincave_2000, catman529, Harvester, Tony USMC, 2 invisible) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93135 Topics
1088549 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.101 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.