Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2996035 - 10/23/12 09:23 PM aging venison
gboucher
4 Point

Loc: tennessee

have had backstraps in pan in fridge for 6 days now. the meat is beginning to turn dark, real dark. is it still good?
#2996066 - 10/23/12 09:42 PM Re: aging venison [Re: gboucher]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
Yes, should be fine, but freeze it now or cook it (so long ad it smells fine). You should really restrict venison to 4 days of aging as the environmental factors of death are all over the place.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2996132 - 10/23/12 10:12 PM Re: aging venison [Re: Poser]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
of the 2 does I killed this season, I left both pairs of backstraps in a bag in the bottom of the fridge for one week after the kill. when I finally froze them they still smelled like fresh deer meat, little or no dark color, still looked fresh too. Next deer I kill, probably gonna cook up some or all of that meat before freezing it. I wouldn't worry about keeping fresh deer in a cold fridge for a week. Think how long beef probably sits between the time the cow is slaughtered and the time it reaches your grill.

#2996448 - 10/24/12 08:22 AM Re: aging venison [Re: gboucher]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Originally Posted By: gboucher
have had backstraps in pan in fridge for 6 days now. the meat is beginning to turn dark, real dark. is it still good?

The browning is normal and is caused by exposure to the air, if you were to wrap/cover with plastic wrap it would not turn as noticeably brown. 7-10 days is no problem in the fridge at 35-38 degs. I will let my deer hang in the shed(temps. permitting) for at least 5-7 days before skinning and processing, if warm skinned, quartered and chilled in the 'fridge for 7-10 days. I have NEVER had a piece of meat go bad in 36 yrs of processing my own.

FDXX75

#2996484 - 10/24/12 08:34 AM Re: aging venison [Re: catman529]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: catman529
I wouldn't worry about keeping fresh deer in a cold fridge for a week. Think how long beef probably sits between the time the cow is slaughtered and the time it reaches your grill.

This is a comparison error that hunters often make. The conditions under which deer are killed and cattle are killed are not even comparable. Temperature, distance of running, exposure to guts, sitting out in the sun in the bed of a pick up truck -numerous factors here.

I am not a over cautious person when it comes to handling, aging, preparing meat, I'm just merely pointing out that cattle are killed in a controlled environment and are often aged for 10-14 days. That's not a good idea with venison and recent studies released from the Univ of GA support this. Furthermore, aging venison in the 30s, which is common (36 to 38 degrees), really isn't going to actually age the meat much in 4 or 5 days. At those temps, you really need 7 to 10 days to be effective. You would likely be better served to age the venison in the 40s for a shorter period of time, even though most people do not feel comfortable doing that (thanks, USDA... the same people who dismiss thousands of years of curing practices)

Also of note is that venison is actually aging in your freezer, though the process is slowed WAY down. If you kill a wily, old buck, a good thing to do is to age the meat for a few days and then freeze for a year or longer before eating. By that point, the venison will have broken down some more. -that's definitely a process that many people don't consider when dealing with tougher venison.

#2996541 - 10/24/12 09:15 AM Re: aging venison [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
I wouldn't worry about keeping fresh deer in a cold fridge for a week. Think how long beef probably sits between the time the cow is slaughtered and the time it reaches your grill.

Also of note is that venison is actually aging in your freezer, though the process is slowed WAY down. If you kill a wily, old buck, a good thing to do is to age the meat for a few days and then freeze for a year or longer before eating. By that point, the venison will have broken down some more. -that's definitely a process that many people don't consider when dealing with tougher venison.

The meat technically doesn't age in the freezer, it is the freezing process that actually breaks down the tissue fibers, as the moisture/water/blood content freezes the ice crystals that form inside the meat act like miniature knives and literally break the fibers of the meat apart.

FDXX75

#2996574 - 10/24/12 09:32 AM Re: aging venison [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

The meat technically doesn't age in the freezer, it is the freezing process that actually breaks down the tissue fibers, as the moisture/water/blood content freezes the ice crystals that form inside the meat act like miniature knives and literally break the fibers of the meat apart.

FDXX75

True, but this process will still "tenderize" the meat which, assuming that the meat was properly handled, is the primary outcome most people are looking for from the aging process.

You'll get a wide range of opinions on this matter. I've heard people say that venison is only good for 9 months in the freezer, yet I have eaten venison that was stored for over 2 years that tasted completely fine. I do think that the faster you freeze the meat, the better as you will get less cell rupture. If you have a pile of meat to freeze, it would also be ideal to spread this meat out instead of stacking it. I will freeze faster that way.

One other thing -don't thaw your meat too fast. The blood will come out of the ruptured cells, but there is some reabsorption that takes place if thawed slowly.

#2996597 - 10/24/12 09:39 AM Re: aging venison [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

FDXX75

True, but this process will still "tenderize" the meat which, assuming that the meat was properly handled, is the primary outcome most people are looking for from the aging process.

You'll get a wide range of opinions on this matter. I've heard people say that venison is only good for 9 months in the freezer, yet I have eaten venison that was stored for over 2 years that tasted completely fine. I do think that the faster you freeze the meat, the better as you will get less cell rupture. If you have a pile of meat to freeze, it would also be ideal to spread this meat out instead of stacking it. I will freeze faster that way.

One other thing -don't thaw your meat too fast. The blood will come out of the ruptured cells, but there is some reabsorption that takes place if thawed slowly.

Agreed, I have used a vacuum sealer for over 10 yrs now, I have found a package here and there that go pushed behind something and was found 3-4 yrs later, still just like last yrs packages.

Freeze it quick, is correct. I spread mine out in single layers until frozen, then stack inside a brown paper bag in the freezer, the brown paper helps to prevent additional freezer burn possibilities and direct contact with the freezer surfaces.

Thawing should be done slowly and in a cool environment, like the 'fridge. Take the meat out several days ahead and place in 'fridge. Much better results.

FDXX75

#2996613 - 10/24/12 09:49 AM Re: aging venison [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
have you seen the footage of "factory farmed" cattle... basically they live knee deep in their own manure and are usually covered in it when the cow is slaughtered. honestly I think gutting a deer and processing yourself would be a bit safer since you know exactly what happened to the animal.

#2996641 - 10/24/12 10:08 AM Re: aging venison [Re: catman529]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

have you seen the footage of "factory farmed" cattle... basically they live knee deep in their own manure and are usually covered in it when the cow is slaughtered. honestly I think gutting a deer and processing yourself would be a bit safer since you know exactly what happened to the animal.

I know two people that have worked in slaughter houses, one being a relative. Lets just say you are better off not knowing......................

FDXX75

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
57 registered (catman529, volsgo1, buckmaster31, TNDeerGuy, kudzu, AllOutdoors, 8 invisible) and 149 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85143 Topics
1028937 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.245 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.