Tndeer Logo

Page 202 of 260 « First<200201202203204>Last »
Topic Options
#2994680 - 10/23/12 09:08 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
preachermantom
12 Point

Loc: waverly,tn,USA

Greed for God!

To wrap up our look at greed after a short break yesterday let's look where our greed needs to be!

Luke 12:13-21

13 Then one from the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

14 But He said to him, “Man, who made Me a judge or an arbitrator over you?” 15 And He said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.”

16 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17 And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ 18 So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.”’ 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’

21 “So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”

This is such a good picture that God has given us here in these verses. First, brothers are having a problem over an inheritance. Greed has split so many families over the years. This is a sad thing and no doubt it saddens God. Jesus warns the one brother to be very careful for covetousness can cause major problems. Then Jesus tells us a parable about a rich man who is basically preparing for retirement. So he can sit back and take it easy. Look very closely at this. First we never know when life will end, all our hard work to accumulate things goes to someone else when we die. They do us no good! Second, retirement from work for money is not a bad thing in itself but there is no retirement plan i serving the Lord...NONE! Third, The key to defeating greed is being greedy in serving God! Be greedy in your time, money and service TO GOD! Be rich toward God and you ca not go wrong for one can not out give God!

So this morning are you greedy for God or greedy for self?

Tom

Jesus Christ

http://walkthewalkwithjesus.blogspot.com

#2996491 - 10/24/12 08:41 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
preachermantom
12 Point

Expose unfruitful works!

In some recent reading I ran across these verses. It made me do some think as scripture tends to do. What jumped out at me is the verses I have highlighted:

Ephesians 5:8-14

Walk in Light

8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light 9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), 10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. 11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light. 14 Therefore He says:

“Awake, you who sleep,

Arise from the dead,

And Christ will give you light.”

We are to expose sin and its destruction according to these verses. Take a moments and think about that. First we have to be in the light. That means we have to be saved in Christ Jesus. We need to be light to a dark world, which means living as Christ desires for us to live. Gives us an example of what this kind of living should be in verse 9 goodness, righteousness, and truth. Acceptable living to the Lord.

So what about verse 11? Many thoughts came to mind: drunkenness, abortion, corrupt business dealings, homosexuality, false teachings, folks in the church who are power hungry instead of serving and loving, and the list can go on and on. We are told to expose those things! Are we? It can create major problems if we do right? God's Word says we must check all things by the light of Jesus Christ. His Word has made clear what is right and wrong. We are not the judges He is but according to these verses we are to expose darkness! If more light shines less darkness is found!

Look at verse 14....we are told to awake! Rise from the dead! Christ provides the light....lets be using that light!

Tom

Jesus Christ

#2996507 - 10/24/12 08:53 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
rabbit hunter
14 Point

Loc: Beech Bluff, TN

Thanks for what you do here.

#2996657 - 10/24/12 10:16 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: rabbit hunter]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Amen

#2998378 - 10/25/12 09:51 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: Kimber45]
preachermantom
12 Point

Know you are saved!

I have heard many folks say when you ask them if they are saved say "Well I think I am." The Bible tells us we can know! Look at this verse:

1 John 5:9-13

9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater; for this is the witness of God which He has testified of His Son. 10 He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. 11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

This is what these verses tell us:

1. Witness of men is good, but witness of God about His son is greatest! God has told us through man and through the Word that He sent His Son Jesus to die for our sins. What else do we need?

2. When we believe in the Son we then become witnesses ourselves because we experience the awesome power of the Holy Spirit! Until a person has surrendered their life to Christ one does not know how great and peaceful a life can be knowing we have eternal life with God!

3. If we don't believe in Jesus, well we call God a liar. Not much more I need to say about that!

4. v.12 says if we have the Son (in our hearts) we have life....life now and eternal life in the future. Thank you Jesus! Plain and simple.

5. Finally, we see in v.13, this is how we know we have eternal life! How? Refer to point #4!

So do you know this morning? I know I do! I want to leave you with one more piece of security from scripture!

John 10:28

And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.

Tom

Jesus Christ

#2998534 - 10/25/12 11:24 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
lung-buster
10 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tn

Amen
#2998755 - 10/25/12 01:26 PM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: lung-buster]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Amen!

#2999528 - 10/25/12 09:57 PM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: Kimber45]
BH2424
4 Point

Loc: earth

And knowing is half the battle. Thanks tom!
#3005227 - 10/29/12 09:04 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: BH2424]
preachermantom
12 Point

Are we getting next Generation ready?

My Pastor spoke about this yesterday morning. If you think about the difference from your grandfathers generation to your dads generation and now to our generation...it is a sad state when we think about spiritual things and morals. Look at these verses:

Judges 2:6-13

6 And when Joshua had dismissed the people, the children of Israel went each to his own inheritance to possess the land.

7 So the people served the Lord all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders who outlived Joshua, who had seen all the great works of the Lord which He had done for Israel. 8 Now Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the Lord, died when he was one hundred and ten years old. 9 And they buried him within the border of his inheritance at Timnath Heres, in the mountains of Ephraim, on the north side of Mount Gaash. 10 When all that generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation arose after them who did not know the Lord nor the work which He had done for Israel.

11 Then the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord, and served the Baals; 12 and they forsook the Lord God of their fathers, who had brought them out of the land of Egypt; and they followed other gods from among the gods of the people who were all around them, and they bowed down to them; and they provoked the Lord to anger. 13 They forsook the Lord and served Baal and the Ashtoreths.

A couple of things here I want to point out:

1. V.7 tells us Joshua and his generation followed the Lord.

2. V.10 tells us that the next generation did not know the Lord or what He had done for Israel! Something is very wrong here. It tells me that Joshua and his generation may have been faithful but they did not a very good job of passing along the Lord to the next generation. Let me be clear here that we have a job to do with the next generation. This is the most important job we have! This job is to train our children in the Lord! Ask yourself...how are you doing in this training right now?

Deuteronomy 6:4-9

4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.

6 “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

It is not the churches job, they are to help you but the main responsibility is yours!

3. V.11-13 tells us what happens when our children do not get the training from us!

Brothers and sisters look at society, look at our schools, colleges, even our declining churches...what are we doing? Failing God! Failing ourselves. Failing our children. Don't compare to everyone else, do what God wants you to do, train your children and yourselves in the Lord!

Tom

Jesus Christ

#3005229 - 10/29/12 09:06 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
preachermantom
12 Point

BH2424...thank you for reading and welcome to this devotion page. Comments are welcome!

Jesus Christ

Page 202 of 260 « First<200201202203204>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (Rubberduck270, SilverFox, catman529, robinhedd, TNhunter, Mr.Squirrel, 3 invisible) and 44 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93135 Topics
1088550 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.134 seconds in which 0.028 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.