Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#2995281 - 10/23/12 01:45 PM Just ordered a Savage! Need advice...
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

Loc: Tenn

Gun probably won't arrive till Tuesday next week. I have a scope ready for it. I have a couple questions as I would like it ready for opener if possible. If not it's ok i'll take my Accura.

Do I need to order the accessory kit, or does one typically come with the box?

Do I need a scale or just the dipper with accessory kit?

What load, sabot, bullet, powder would be the best option?

Also any recommendations on a base?

I am headed off to dougsmsg board just thought I could get some quick info here.

#2995320 - 10/23/12 02:09 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Tenn.Guy]
tasaman
8 Point

Loc: Woodlawn, TN

First clean the heck out of the barrel. Some come real dirty because they shoot them before they leave the factory.

The accessory kit is nice but not needed and somewhat expensive. You should get 5 bullets and sabots with the gun.

Yes, you will want a scale. If money is tight get a Lee Safety Scale or find a good one used like a RCBS 505 or an Ohaus. Dippers can be used with a couple of powders but real accuracy and safety I would get the scale.

Go with a cheap and easy book load first. I suggest 250 gr or 300 gr XTP bullets. NOT the Mag version. Either MMP short for the 250 or long for the 300 sabots. I prefer Red Crush Rib sabots but either will work.

After you get it shooting good then you can try some better faster and tougher loads. Me personally I like the Barnes Original 300gr .458 bullets with a Black Crush Rib sabot. Real good long range bullet and tough.

For powder SR4759 is easy to use, and you only need 41 to 43 gr to shoot so you get a lot of bang per pound. For more speed you might want 4198 but that might not be as accurate but it might be more so. Only time will tell.

For bases it's all preference. I went with a Leupold but anything will do. Steel is stronger but aluminum is lighter.

Spend some money on a good scope. These can recoil pretty good with heavy bullets and heavy charges.

Any more questions PM me and I'll see if I can help.

#2995336 - 10/23/12 02:17 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: tasaman]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

I went with leupold bases and rings have had good luck with them before. I also went with a nikon prostaff 3x9x40. I love my savage, ive only fired about 25 shots and already found 3 combos that work the 300 gr. Xtp with mmp.savage recommend sabot is the best from my gun. Im also shooting imr 4759.

If you have an easy of time as i have you will not regret it.

Remove the breech plug and set your gun on bathroom scales and find a bullet/sabot combo with the right loading pressure that was my first step
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#2995340 - 10/23/12 02:17 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rockhound]
Rockhound
10 Point

Oh yea get a scale
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#2995429 - 10/23/12 03:15 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Tenn.Guy]
S.vitreum
Spike

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Tenn.Guy
I am headed off to dougsmsg board just thought I could get some quick info here.

Best thing you can do. Guys here are nice. However, for the most part, they are readers/listeners not shooters - guys on Dougs are experts. Look for 2,300 fps and you are there.
Start:
Fed209, 43 SR4759, and a 250 sst in a black MMP sabot.
What you need extry:
torch clean kit, scale, powder vials, vent liners, 4759, F209primers, some pipe tape, and some 250 sst's.

#2995462 - 10/23/12 03:28 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: S.vitreum]
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

Thanks guys.

would this scale be good
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/...0#BVRRWidgetID,

or go with the lee safety scale?

#2995530 - 10/23/12 04:12 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Tenn.Guy]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Another item that has really helped me in addition to the scales is a powder trickler. It makes it easy to fine tune the load.

#2995672 - 10/23/12 05:44 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: S.vitreum]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: S.vitreum
Look for 2,300 fps and you are there.
If you plan to do this, you will need a chronograph as well to determine your muzzle velocity. If buying/messing with a chrono is not something you want to do this fall since you are in somewhat of a hurry, just stick with 43 grains of IMR SR4759 and you should be good to go, assuming accuracy is not an issue. Just be aware that your velocities may very well be 2100 fps with 43 grains pushing a 250 SST instead of 2300fps, all depending on your lot number. 2100fps will kill deer just as dead as 2300fps will. Best of luck with your MLII. I suspect you'll be glad you made the switch and never look back.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2995994 - 10/23/12 08:58 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: S.vitreum]
Rockhound
10 Point

Best thing you can do. Guys here are nice. However, for the most part, they are readers/listeners not shooters - guys on Dougs are experts. Look for 2,300 fps and you are there.
Start:
What you need extry:
torch clean kit, scale, powder vials, vent liners, 4759, F209primers, some pipe tape, and some 250 sst's.

The guys on dougs are great the guys here are great and shoot alot, the guys here shoot more with hunting in mind alot on dougs is arget practice. Take heed to both

#2995999 - 10/23/12 09:01 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: scn]
Rockhound
10 Point

Originally Posted By: scn
Another item that has really helped me in addition to the scales is a powder trickler. It makes it easy to fine tune the load.

The scale you have linked should be fine, and this ^^ is a great piece of advice. Powder tricklers can help if you wanna be exact every time

#2996214 - 10/24/12 12:23 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: S.vitreum]
tasaman
8 Point

Start:

I wasn't going to even acknowledge your comment about those on this board not being shooters but you really got under my skin with that. First, I don't know you which in turn means you most likely don't know me. Therefore you don't know what I know. Please refrain from assuming the contributors here don't also contribute on Doug's. I started out lurking for a while but have been a member and a smokeless shooter since 2006 or 07. I spent this past weekend shooting 3 ML-IIs. Others on this board are also well expirenced in smokeless muzzleloading as well.

When you learned to drive did you go get a professional race car driver to teach you? Didn't think so. You got someone with experience to show you what to do. That is what this fellow asked for that's what he got. Strait and to the point info.

By the way, don't expect 2300 fps with 4759. 2200 is prob more realistic.

#2996225 - 10/24/12 02:57 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: tasaman]
Rockhound
10 Point

Originally Posted By: tasaman

Start:

I wasn't going to even acknowledge your comment about those on this board not being shooters but you really got under my skin with that. First, I don't know you which in turn means you most likely don't know me. Therefore you don't know what I know. Please refrain from assuming the contributors here don't also contribute on Doug's. I started out lurking for a while but have been a member and a smokeless shooter since 2006 or 07. I spent this past weekend shooting 3 ML-IIs. Others on this board are also well expirenced in smokeless muzzleloading as well.

When you learned to drive did you go get a professional race car driver to teach you? Didn't think so. You got someone with experience to show you what to do. That is what this fellow asked for that's what he got. Strait and to the point info.

That got me to tasaman

#2996349 - 10/24/12 07:13 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rockhound]
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

Lol i appreciate everyone's help.

Here's what im looking at.

300gr xtp
Mmp hph-24 short (ordered)
Accurate arms or 4759 whichever i can find first

Primers CCI or federal? Not sure those make much of a difference.

Quick loads dont to be.so."quick". Going to order lmclab.com vials for.powder.

#2996395 - 10/24/12 07:46 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rockhound]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Rockhound

Start:

That got me to tasaman

There is some good information and definitely people in the know here. I am looking at converting an Encore 45/70 and started here with Howa. He recommended me to ask at Doug's as well.

Reading all the smokeless posts here along with Howa's conversion last year has got me on the band wagon. I won't be nowhere near ready this year but will next year, good Lord Willing. Thanks for all of the help and information here!!!

#2996539 - 10/24/12 09:14 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: tasaman]
S.vitreum
Spike

I started out lurking for a while but have been a member and a smokeless shooter since 2006 or 07. I spent this past weekend shooting 3 ML-IIs. Others on this board are also well expirenced in smokeless muzzleloading as well.

Well, where to begin? First off, I said "FOR THE MOST PART". If you are offended by my assessment, sorry. It is the truth. Most guys here find a single load that works for them and go hunt - never changing a thing for years on end and shooting their savage maybe 5-10 times a year. That is a fact with their muzzleloader, their rifle, and (at a lesser extent) their bow. That is the basis of my opinion.

Secondly, in your analogy, I am the "professional race car driver". I gave the OP the best starting information I have. I've been shooting a Savage since 2000 or 2001 (whenever they came out). I was probably one of the first guys on Doug's Board to try 4759 after Toby Bridges emailed me the load in 2002-03. Later in 2003 or 2004, it became a Savage recommended load in the manual that came with the gun. At that time, Savage recommended 43gr which = 2,300. Now remember this part: 2,300 fps with a 250 gr bullet is safe per Savage.

Lastly, I recommended to the OP to find 2,300 fps and he would be done. I told him to START at 43 gr with a 250. Originally, 4759 came in 1/2 pound tin cans. Out of the tin container, 43 grains would net me 2,305 fps. Now starting and finding are two completely different points with the plastic containers. As Andy correctly pointed out, 43 grains out of the plastic container gets you 2,100 or so. You can still work up to 2,300 fps. Same pressure at 2,300 fps with 43 gr of the original tin or 47 grains of the plastic container.

Remember, I said start @ 43, find 2,300. 2,300 fps is the constant.

#2996548 - 10/24/12 09:21 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: S.vitreum]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Oh my, do I smell a lock down in the works????

Yikes!!!!!!

FDXX75

#2996553 - 10/24/12 09:22 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: S.vitreum]
S.vitreum
Spike

Below is a link to a pressure trace of 4759 by ET. Please notice that it is a 225 gr bullet, not 250.

He shoots from 46-50 grains of 4759. At 50 gr he is still only at 33,000 psi and 2,418 fps.

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=smokeless&action=display&thread=8533

#2996570 - 10/24/12 09:30 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
S.vitreum
Spike

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

Yikes!!!!!!

FDXX75

Why would this thread get locked?

#2996575 - 10/24/12 09:32 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: S.vitreum]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

Yikes!!!!!!

FDXX75

Why would this thread get locked?

It just may get a little hot in here, just sayin'...........ruffled feather syndrome. LOL

FDXX75

#2996658 - 10/24/12 10:16 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

Well i'm just looking to deer hunt this year Lord willing. I can fine tune next year. Would I be better with the 250gr XTP or 300gr. From reading it seems the 300gr is better, but I am use to shooting 250's shockwaves in my CVA now and they do just fine?
#2996811 - 10/24/12 11:38 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Tenn.Guy]
Rockhound
10 Point

If your not shooting over 150 yds stay with a 300 gr. From what i read the 250 gr. Have been known to grenade at smokeless speeds at short distance. Where did you order your savage from was it off the net or from a store

#2996819 - 10/24/12 11:45 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: S.vitreum]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Start:
What you need extry:

lol

#2996835 - 10/24/12 12:07 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Tenn.Guy]
tasaman
8 Point

300gr xtp
Mmp hph-24 short (ordered)
Accurate arms or 4759 whichever i can find first

Primers CCI or federal? Not sure those make much of a difference.

Everything there should work. I'm glad you decided on the 300 gr XTP but also shoot those 5 250gr that come with your gun. There shouldn't be a tremendous difference at 100 yards but as has been said I'm not a professional shooter. I have shot all of these however.

The HPH-24's are slightly easier to load than the 12s. Some guns will shoot them and some won't. If you notice these are very easy to load I'd probably switch to HPH-12 or red crush rib. Smokeless likes pressure and a tight fitting sabot is almost a must. Things may work for you in warm weather but then your out hunting in 15 deg and you pull the trigger and pfffffttttttt. Not fun.

#2996840 - 10/24/12 12:11 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rockhound]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

If your not shooting over 150 yds stay with a 300 gr. From what i read the 250 gr. Have been known to grenade at smokeless speeds at short distance.

Yup.

#2996852 - 10/24/12 12:22 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rubberduck270]
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Rubberduck270
If your not shooting over 150 yds stay with a 300 gr. From what i read the 250 gr. Have been known to grenade at smokeless speeds at short distance.

Yup.

WHat do you mean grenade? Blow up in mid air, or blow the crap out of a whitetail?

#2996865 - 10/24/12 12:33 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Tenn.Guy]
Rockhound
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Rubberduck270

Yup.

WHat do you mean grenade? Blow up in mid air, or blow the crap out of a whitetail?

Lol blow up with on contact with little to no penetration

#2996894 - 10/24/12 12:54 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rockhound]
tasaman
8 Point

The 250gr XTP shoot really well but they are not capable of shooting through the shoulder of a deer at close range at the speeds we are pushing them. Makes a wound that looks like a softball on the hide but is a very shallow wound. I know it' happened to me twice. Since switching to 300s no more wounding deer. Keep in mind I'm not an "expert" .
#2996906 - 10/24/12 12:57 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: tasaman]
tasaman
8 Point

Oh, if you want more range just practice with the XTPs and shoot the Shockwave or SST bullets in the same weight. Your 100 yard impact shouldn't change but you will need to very this. You will get more range with less drop with the SW or SST.
#2997040 - 10/24/12 02:13 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: tasaman]
Rockhound
10 Point

Oh, if you want more range just practice with the XTPs and shoot the Shockwave or SST bullets in the same weight. Your 100 yard impact shouldn't change but you will need to very this. You will get more range with less drop with the SW or SST.

I think theres about 1inch elevation difference in mine with sst being 1" higher than xtp, nothing thats going to matter at the ranges ill be shooting

#2997050 - 10/24/12 02:20 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rockhound]
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

great thanks guys. I appreciate the help even if you're not "experts" \:\)

I have got about everything ordered and hopefully it will all arrive within the next couple days.

Only need to pickup primers and powder.

What vials do you use for the powder? I was going to order them from LMClab that was suggested on some forum SUper cheap just didnt know if there was an option you could pick up at the store that works well?

#2997055 - 10/24/12 02:22 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Tenn.Guy]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

Check this thread out for vial info http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2985435&page=2#Post2985435
#2997115 - 10/24/12 02:53 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rubberduck270]
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

thanks got some ordered.
#2997164 - 10/24/12 03:22 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Tenn.Guy]
tasaman
8 Point

Was gonna say a few guys use empty shell of 7 mag or similar with ear plug to cap it off. What you ordered is what I use. Get various color tops to indicate diff powder charges helps at the range.
#3007861 - 10/30/12 05:13 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rockhound]
S.vitreum
Spike

From what i read

Thank you. Point made.

#3008336 - 10/30/12 09:46 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: S.vitreum]
Rockhound
10 Point

From what i read

Thank you. Point made.

Your an idiot that dont read enough hisself, if you read any yourself you would know ive only owned and been shooting a savage for a month, unlike the other 25 or so on this sight. If you dont like the advice everyone has to give leave. Your not a one man show. And man it sure took you awhile to read through those post and find that. If you don't agree with ppl here why do you come back?

#3011735 - 11/01/12 08:51 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rockhound]
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

Anything in particular I need to do with the mzl when it gets here?
I know I was told to swab several times. Just use normal mzl cleaner?
Anything else?

Will be here tomorrow. Should have been in Monday but the were waiting on FFL info until I called and they realized they could ship to home in TN.

Thanks again! I'm like a kid the night before Christmas tonight.

Edited by Tenn.Guy (11/01/12 08:52 PM)
Edit Reason: Going to read manual before anything.

#3011791 - 11/01/12 09:19 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Tenn.Guy]
Rockhound
10 Point

Get some bore cleaner, take bolt and breach plug out and scrub the crap out of it. I dunno if it will help much but it eliminates anything to do with that

#3011835 - 11/01/12 09:38 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Rockhound]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

In addition to Doug's, this link and the beaucoups of informational links that are embedded should answer just about any question that you can think of. Make sure you read the VIP Articles that are highlighted in red. http://randywakeman.com/savage3.htm

I would also recommend you read the owner's manual from front to back, it will not take long at all. My ML2 came with a DVD that was very beneficial as well. I suspect you will be very proud you made the switch to smokeless. I look forward to hearing about your gun and your adventures along the way. Best of luck.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3011857 - 11/01/12 09:50 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: Andy S.]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

Why was they waiting on your FFL?Mine was shipped right to my house,no ffl here.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3012470 - 11/02/12 10:16 AM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: cecil30-30]
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
Why was they waiting on your FFL?Mine was shipped right to my house,no ffl here.

Should have been in Monday but the were waiting on FFL info until I called and they realized they could ship to home in TN.

Some mzl cant be shipped to home, and some states dont allow mzl going straight to home. Online order.

#3013027 - 11/02/12 04:47 PM Re: Just ordered a Savage! Need advice... [Re: S.vitreum]
tasaman
8 Point

From what i read

Thank you. Point made.

What is your handle on Doug's? I would like to look up your accomplishment since you've done it all.

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Daniel Willoughby, CAW, TX300mag) and 65 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.