Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2991123 - 10/20/12 10:33 PM Taqueria La Guadalupana: Photos!!!
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

OK, you may or may not have heard me bragging on this place. It is truly the most authentic Mexican restaurant I have visited in Memphis. Here's my litmus test: you never hear anyone bragging about their awesome margaritas (no liquor/beer license), and the first thing people mention isn't their chips (Las Delicias) or their white cheese dip (any other Tex-Mex) joint in town.

I ALWAYS get their 2-taco dinner, which comes with beans and rice. Tacos are always the "al-pastor" style, which is some sort of pork that seems to be stewed in a spicy red sauce, then tossed on a hot griddle prior to serving. However, I decided to branch out today. Besides their standard taco meat options, they offer some non-typical stuff: tripe, tongue, and goat. Since I'm not big on entrails, I opted for the upper end of the digestive track and ordered a tongue taco. I also figured it was time to give goat a try. But I was more in the mood to try new tacos, so instead of the dinner with beans and rice, I went for a third taco....chorizo.

Here it is in all its glory, the way tacos were originally sent by God to the Israelites....wait, wrong story. Tongue is on the left, chorizo in the middle, and goat on the right. Also, their standard red salsa, but we always ask for the green avocado salsa as well. A squirt of lime, and a scoop of each salsa is all the tacos need. Meat, onion, cilantro, lime, & salsa....Nom nom nom nom nom.

I tried each of the meats first before eating the taco as a whole. Tongue is very tasty, and very tender. But it's almost too tender.....mealy even. I didn't care for it much on the taco since it was just a bit too squishy. Tasty flavor, but weird texture. Next was the goat. It was absolutely spectacular. Tasted like lamb, but had the texture of a good pulled pork. I became a fan of goat today. And finally, the chorizo was very good. Crumbly, with a bit of "bark" to it, the flavor was great.

TAFKAP Jr. always gets the chicken tamale and a plate of beans.

If you've never been to La Guadalupana in Memphis, you are truly missing out on the best Mexican in town. Three tacos and the obligatory chips & salsa filled me to the brim. A large glass of horchata (Mexican "rice water"....ground rice, milk, water, cinnamon, and sugar) really helps wash it all down. Mrs. TAFKAP had the 2-taco dinner, my 3 tacos, and TAFKAP Jr.'s lunch were all $26 with tip. Run, don't walk, to the corner of Summer & Mendenhall. And if you insist on adult beverages with your Mexican, you can BYOB.

#2991127 - 10/20/12 10:36 PM Re: Taqueria La Guadalupana: Photos!!! [Re: TAFKAP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Oh, and they're not stingy, either. Those are small, corn tortillas absolutely piled with meat. There's no way to eat them and maintain any sense of class.

If you're not into tacos, maybe, the cornish hen in red sauce will light you on fire. They also have a chicken soup that's very good. Fajitas are like nothing you've ever had either. But once you try the tacos, that's probably all you'll ever order again.

#2991203 - 10/21/12 04:29 AM Re: Taqueria La Guadalupana: Photos!!! [Re: TAFKAP]
Swampster
4 Point

Loc: Huron, TN, USA

Thanks - I haven't seen Mexican food like that around here. Looks more like some of the better stuff I would find in So Cal or So Texas. I'm not a fan of horchata, but that is another sure sign that this is the real deal.
#2991834 - 10/21/12 03:15 PM Re: Taqueria La Guadalupana: Photos!!! [Re: Swampster]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
I'll vouch for this place. Their Huevos Rancheros have cured more than one hangover.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2995039 - 10/23/12 11:52 AM Re: Taqueria La Guadalupana: Photos!!! [Re: Poser]
JohnnyBond
Cat Man
Non-Typical

Loc:

#2995584 - 10/23/12 04:41 PM Re: Taqueria La Guadalupana: Photos!!! [Re: JohnnyBond]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I gotta try that place out sometime!

#2996185 - 10/23/12 11:00 PM Re: Taqueria La Guadalupana: Photos!!! [Re: Crosshairy]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
I gotta try that place out sometime!

Yes you do.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (ADR, Dirt nap, Barrett, Mickey_mvp, doubledownranch, SEC, 10 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91505 Topics
1069781 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.045 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.