Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2990286 - 10/20/12 10:16 AM HELP!! homemade or throw n go type small plot?
r1100s
Spike

Loc: tn

i have roughly 40 acres i hunt that was logged in the 70s and turned into hay fields except roughly 5 to 7 acres in the middle of it. ive hunted it for the last 4 years or so and put up a new stand in mid september about 25 yds to the left of where i was and all the woods are so thick a 15 to 25yd shot AT the right second was all that was feasible. so i selectivly cleared shooting lanes and now i have 10 to 50yd shooting lanes in all directions. white oaks all around, and deer used to work this spot real well passing through from the big woods all around. sortof a low pressure sanctuary, problem is, now theyve shifted from coming by my stand, where i recently changed their bedroom, to staying to my left where the cover is way thick and nasty, i know this because i see them in the evenings from time to time 300yds away and they come in and out below my stand and in years past it was right at my stand, so my question is there a type of throw n go that works better than another or can i go to co op and by different blends of seeds for the same or similar money and have a better blend? it will have to be of a no til variety because access getting in is too thick in there for a tractor or atv. also area would be aprox. 1/4 acre and was really shaded but now gets small to decent anounts of sun all during the day. so id love to rake out the leaves and broadcast the seeds if thats the proper procedure. also id LOVE to do it this weekend, am i too late or will it come up ok? we do construction work and i know we put in alot of yards in the spring and fall but planting food plots in the woods is foreign to me. any and all help is appreciated especially on seed ideas/amounts and rough estimates on cost. land is in middle tn thanks!
#2990332 - 10/20/12 10:57 AM Re: HELP!! homemade or throw n go type small plot? [Re: r1100s]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

The problem is not where the "right" habitat is. The problem is you are hunting the same spot over and over. Deer quickly pick up on hunting stand locations and learn to avoid them. The answer is, move your stand and do so frequently.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2990347 - 10/20/12 11:23 AM Re: HELP!! homemade or throw n go type small plot? [Re: BSK]
r1100s
Spike

well i hunt this spot maybe once or twice every 3 or 4 weeks and i have a big 2 man stand up so i cant really just pick another tree that easily, i have thought about hanging a stand on the powerline clearing on the back side, but i have to tromp through to get there so it doesnt really seem logical to me, now still hunting from the ground is 1 good option but i definetly would like more than salt licks around my stand, on larger properties, i do tend to move as you suggest.
#2990394 - 10/20/12 12:20 PM Re: HELP!! homemade or throw n go type small plot? [Re: r1100s]
BSK
Non-Typical

Being a major user of ladder stands, and especially the big 2-person ladders, I feel your pain. But on my property, once a pre-positioned stand receives 15 cumulative hours of hunting time, even if that takes years to accumulate, a hunter's chance of killing a 3 1/2+ year-old buck from that stand drops to almost zero.

Although, our stands are set-up for very close-range encounters (bow range).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2991392 - 10/21/12 09:26 AM Re: HELP!! homemade or throw n go type small plot? [Re: BSK]
r1100s
Spike

thats good to know i never knew that, i will keep that in mind especially for the larger woods i hunt. the place im talking about is generally where i go when i see the deer show up from the field or on my camera, generally i try to get some early season does there. would winter rye or winter wheat, or white clover work in areas that get small amounts of sunlight? it gets quite a bit of indirect light but not much direct. also would any type come up this late?
#2991490 - 10/21/12 10:48 AM Re: HELP!! homemade or throw n go type small plot? [Re: r1100s]
BSK
Non-Typical

Your best bet is going to be grain rye or wheat. Both can handle some shade. Both will come up any time we get a few days of moderate to warm temps.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
15 registered (booche', gobblegrunt, TeamMainStreet, gun nut, gillis28, 74MOPAR, 2 invisible) and 62 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99055 Topics
1164610 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.