Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2985531 - 10/17/12 06:53 AM Cast Iron Care
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I do most of my cooking in cast iron skillets. I have two Griswolds and a Wagner both given to me by my grandmother. As I use them more and more, I have been wondering about how best to take care of them. Here are the basics of what I do:

- Wash very shortly after cooking using hot water and a sponge. No soap of any kind.
- Dry immediately
- Lightly coat cooking surface with vegetable oil

Here is what I have some questions about:
- One resource, I came across, recommended heating the pan over low heat before applying the coat of oil. However, they gave no reason why you should do this. Does anyone else do this? Why would they recommend doing this? My initial thought is that the warm skillet will better absorb the oil, but I don't know.

- A cast iron cookbook I have recommends storing your skillets in the oven, but not removing them when you use the oven. The idea being that each time you turn the oven on the pan reseasons itself. What do ya'll think? I tried this for the last week or so with mixed results. If I was heating the oven to less than 400 degrees, I left my skillets in there turned upside down. After doing this 6-8 times, the skillets are maintaining their nonstick surface and in some cases performing better. But, they now have what appear to be "oil spots." The cook surface is covered in these slightly-raised, shiny-black spots. These spots have not had any affect on my cooking. I can fry eggs and cook pancakes without a problem in each of my skillets. But, I still wonder about doing this for the long term. What do you think?

Any other thoughts and comments on cast iron care will be greatly appreciated.

#2985680 - 10/17/12 08:29 AM Re: Cast Iron Care [Re: WMAn]
Deck78
6 Point

Loc: hipster hollow

My cast iron rarely sees any water. We have 3 pans that are used almost daily for cooking and we add butter each morning to the pans as we start our food for the day and just wipe out any excess residue as needed when we are done. In my opinion you don't need to go through all that effort as I can guarantee our great grandparents never took the time to wash and clean, oil and season their cast iron after every meal. They didnt have the resources...just my humble 2 cents

#2985740 - 10/17/12 09:15 AM Re: Cast Iron Care [Re: Deck78]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
I have 2 Lodge scrapers, which are nothing more than shaped plastic, but they were only $3 and work well. I generally scrape the food residue our of the cast iron in water and then heat the iron back up to dry it off.

Most of our cast iron gets heavy use as we cook on it 85% of the time of all cooking.
We have two 8 inch skillets, a 14 inch skillet, 3 dutch ovens (plus a 4th one that I borrowed from BuckWild), and a tiny one for melting butter. (on my to-buy list are a Wok, a griddle, and a sauce pan).

Anyway, we should probably take better care of it, but most of it gets enough use that its really not a problem. The dutch ovens, just because they get used for slow and low cooking, tend to need some heavy duty scraping on a regular basis. We do often store much of the iron in one of the two ovens just because we don't have a whole lot of room to put it elsewhere. As a result, they tend to get "cooked" frequently for no reason. It doesn't hurt anything, but I don't imagine that it actually helps anything either. In fact, sometimes, they tend to take on a "dried out" look if they are left in there repeatedly, especially the dutch ovens. I think the dutch ovens require more care then the skillets, just be the nature of how you use them.

As far as heating up slighting before adding oil, that may be just so that the oil better distributes, but I could be wrong.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2985805 - 10/17/12 10:08 AM Re: Cast Iron Care [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

My mom has cast iron pans that are 30+ years old. They're so slick and seasoned, that a pneumatic needle gun wouldn't get back to bare metal. Our trick was to make TONS of pancakes after getting a new pan. Any of her cast irons will go head to head with even the most modern non-stick cookware. Soap and water all day in any of those things.

But it takes 30+ years to get to that point. I like the thought of keeping the pan in the oven at all times. Since it holds its heat so well, it would help the oven provide a more even heat during the on/off cycling of the heating elements.

#2985806 - 10/17/12 10:09 AM Re: Cast Iron Care [Re: TAFKAP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

But I avoided all that mess by using enameled cast iron ;\)

#2987532 - 10/18/12 12:31 PM Re: Cast Iron Care [Re: TAFKAP]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

I never use soap on any of my cast iron. Little warm water than sit it on the eye at medium heat after I wipe the water off with a towel. This ensures that any moisture that remains after wiping is evaporated. Then drop a small dab of Crisco in the pan and let it melt. Wipe the melted shortening in with a paper towel and put away.

#2988453 - 10/19/12 04:44 AM Re: Cast Iron Care [Re: BuckWild]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

I dont use soap on mine but after washing with hot water i put on the stove & dry it on med for a few minutes before i recoat it with oil,over heating without enuf oil will cause the coating to bubble,if it gets to be a problem the easy way to clean the carbon off is to put it in the oven when you hit the oven clean cycle ,it makes a mess but wipes out with the normal oven ash.reseason & start the build up again

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
38 registered (tn gunman, papaw, DNDHUNTAHOLIC88, scope eye, backstraps, ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER, 4 invisible) and 117 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85287 Topics
1030815 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.241 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.