Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2988090 - 10/18/12 07:57 PM Looking for venison soaking ideas?
walker07
4 Point

Loc: tn, blount

I like to try new things with venison. Does anybody soak the meat before cooking it? Had a friend tell me that they always soak in milk for 24 hours to make the meat tender. Just looking to try something different. Thanks!
#2988118 - 10/18/12 08:11 PM Re: Looking for venison soaking ideas? [Re: walker07]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Absolutely 0 reason to "soak" venison. That is merely a solution looking for a problem.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2988327 - 10/18/12 09:48 PM Re: Looking for venison soaking ideas? [Re: Poser]
KANATI McD
8 Point

Loc: West, TN.

I marinate mine for atleast 24 hours in allegra (original) . I cook em on the grill @ 450 for 3 minutes each side and let rest for 5 minutes. I process all my steaks 1" thick

#2988346 - 10/18/12 10:04 PM Re: Looking for venison soaking ideas? [Re: KANATI McD]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: KANATI McD
I marinate mine for atleast 24 hours in allegra (original) . I cook em on the grill @ 450 for 3 minutes each side and let rest for 5 minutes. I process all my steaks 1" thick

I have to admit, I had no idea you could buy marinades until I just looked up Allegro. I looked at the ingredient list and it does indeed have all necessary components to marinade (many people's "marinades" actually are not marinades and therefore do not achieve the intent of any marinade), however, corn syrup sure caught my eye as a primary ingredient. What is it with the freakin' corn syrup? I also noticed that they used dried garlic -fresh garlic makes a world of difference especially in marinades.
Hydrolyzed soy protein? What in the world?
Food coloring? Give me a break.

I'll speculate that you could easily achieve any of these Allegro marinades with fresh ingredients, customized and for cheap. A combination of Fat, acid and salt is all you need to get started.

#2988448 - 10/19/12 04:32 AM Re: Looking for venison soaking ideas? [Re: Poser]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

If you didnt know you could buy marinades dont knockem til you have tried them \:\) ,fresh made will normally be better but when you dont have time or as a last minute idea they work fine,the allegro spicey hot is really good,throw a bottle or 2 in the cabinet & try it some time

#2988642 - 10/19/12 08:17 AM Re: Looking for venison soaking ideas? [Re: mike243]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: mike243
If you didnt know you could buy marinades dont knockem til you have tried them \:\) ,fresh made will normally be better but when you dont have time or as a last minute idea they work fine,the allegro spicey hot is really good,throw a bottle or 2 in the cabinet & try it some time

I can't stand the state of corn syrup. It just has a real synthetic taste to it.

#2988701 - 10/19/12 08:48 AM Re: Looking for venison soaking ideas? [Re: Poser]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Back before I knew any better, I soaked in Alleg. Now I just like the taste of it with some good sides.
#2989073 - 10/19/12 12:44 PM Re: Looking for venison soaking ideas? [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Poser

I have to admit, I had no idea you could buy marinades until I just looked up Allegro. I looked at the ingredient list and it does indeed have all necessary components to marinade (many people's "marinades" actually are not marinades and therefore do not achieve the intent of any marinade), however, corn syrup sure caught my eye as a primary ingredient. What is it with the freakin' corn syrup? I also noticed that they used dried garlic -fresh garlic makes a world of difference especially in marinades.

I'll speculate that you could easily achieve any of these Allegro marinades with fresh ingredients, customized and for cheap. A combination of Fat, acid and salt is all you need to get started.

"Hydrolyzed soy proteins" = synthetic soy sauce.

#2989097 - 10/19/12 12:58 PM Re: Looking for venison soaking ideas? [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
 Originally Posted By: Poser

"Hydrolyzed soy proteins" = synthetic soy sauce.

The foundation of any good marinade..... Not!

#2989223 - 10/19/12 02:03 PM Re: Looking for venison soaking ideas? [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

What is, soy sauce in general or just the fake soy sauce?

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
128 registered (ADR, Florida Cracker 971, bowhunter163, MickThompson, Matador, G8rntn, 16 invisible) and 187 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89361 Topics
1045054 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.265 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.