Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2984021 - 10/16/12 10:47 AM Couple of Memphis Soul Food places
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I have three "off the radar" soul food places that I am interested in. Anyone been to any of these places?

1. Aunt Cora's
I drive by this place going to and from President's Island each year and always wonder about it. Its in the McLemore/Florida St area, complete with a gang sign on the front. This is the real deal ghetto. Memphis City search says that it is closed, but it was definitely open this weekend when I drove past. I can't find much of anything about this place online except that they made a 90 on their health inspection in 2009. No reviews. I'm guessing a white person has never been here.

2. Uptown Soul Food
Chelsea Ave

A friend told me that, for $6, you can get the best plate of neck bones you'll ever have. 5 stars on Urban Spoon, supposed to be ridiculously cheap. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/50/1556855/restaurant/Uptown/Best-Kept-Secret-Memphis

3. Peggy's Just Heavenly
326 South Cleveland Street

This is next door to Printer's Alley in the Medical district. 4.5 stars on Urban Spoon. I think they have daily specials with Catfish available daily. -heard good things. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/50/1539016/restaurant/Midtown/Peggys-Heavenly-Home-Cooking-Memphis

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2984184 - 10/16/12 11:56 AM Re: Couple of Memphis Soul Food places [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

I ate at "Best Kept Secret" last week. For $6, plus drink, it's pretty good. I think it was something like $7~ & change, so with a good tip, I left a $10 bill with them.

I got the hamburger steak, as their offerings were a little bleak the day I went in. Mashed potatoes were homemade, turnip greens were average, and the sweet tea would give a hummingbird the 'beetus. Hamburger steak was just as you'd expect it to be. Overall, it's a "Meh.." rating from me.

Then again, I didn't try their fried chicken, either. I overheard them saying they make it to order, unlike everything else on the menu, which is more-or-less cafeteria style heat & serve.

For convenience (if I conveniently have cash....they don't accept C/C), I would have no problems eating there again. But I like the food better at Alcenia's on N. Main.

By the way, the two guys working at TBKS were extremely friendly and provided great service.

#2984194 - 10/16/12 12:01 PM Re: Couple of Memphis Soul Food places [Re: TAFKAP]
Savage Shooter
8 Point

Loc: Shelby Co, Tn

I don't know if the one at S. Parkway east of Lauderdale is still there. I believe it was called Ms. Ellas Soul Food Shack. It was freaking awesome. Last time I was there was in the mid to late 90s. I'll drive by tonight while at work and see if it's still open.

#2984263 - 10/16/12 12:46 PM Re: Couple of Memphis Soul Food places [Re: Savage Shooter]
beechnut
12 Point

Loc: DRUMMONDS TN 38023

The Crockpot on S. Florida north of Mallory is good.

#2984316 - 10/16/12 01:16 PM Re: Couple of Memphis Soul Food places [Re: beechnut]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Poser,
Never tried any of those culinary gems you mentioned.

If you are in that neighborhood, then try out Deja Vu. It's a tiny Cajun joint that serves lunch.

Their etoufee is awesome, as is the gumbo and the blackened tilapia. They have a menu online (which means it took a step up out of total ghetto-ness).

The gumbo generally comes with blue crab legs in it, and it has a great flavor.

They are closed Sunday and Monday. That place is not exactly unheard of anymore, as word has gotten out over the past few years. Show up a bit early for lunch (no later than 11:30) to make sure you can get a table. I think there are only like 6 tables in the joint, but they also offer take-out.

I might be eating there once this coming weekend during the PI hunts.

#2984317 - 10/16/12 01:17 PM Re: Couple of Memphis Soul Food places [Re: beechnut]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: beechnut
The Crockpot on S. Florida north of Mallory is good.

I've had their food on a take-out order a few times, but it's been at least 5 years ago. I recall them having some pretty tasty stuff.

#2984370 - 10/16/12 01:54 PM Re: Couple of Memphis Soul Food places [Re: Savage Shooter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Savage Shooter
I don't know if the one at S. Parkway east of Lauderdale is still there. I believe it was called Ms. Ellas Soul Food Shack. It was freaking awesome. Last time I was there was in the mid to late 90s. I'll drive by tonight while at work and see if it's still open.

There is Ellen's Soul Food which at Lamar and Bellevue.

#2984371 - 10/16/12 01:55 PM Re: Couple of Memphis Soul Food places [Re: Crosshairy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
Poser,
Never tried any of those culinary gems you mentioned.

If you are in that neighborhood, then try out Deja Vu. It's a tiny Cajun joint that serves lunch.

Their etoufee is awesome, as is the gumbo and the blackened tilapia. They have a menu online (which means it took a step up out of total ghetto-ness).

The gumbo generally comes with blue crab legs in it, and it has a great flavor.

They are closed Sunday and Monday. That place is not exactly unheard of anymore, as word has gotten out over the past few years. Show up a bit early for lunch (no later than 11:30) to make sure you can get a table. I think there are only like 6 tables in the joint, but they also offer take-out.

I might be eating there once this coming weekend during the PI hunts.

I've heard good things about Deja Vu, but have not been there yet myself.

#2984372 - 10/16/12 01:55 PM Re: Couple of Memphis Soul Food places [Re: Crosshairy]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

I've heard a lot about Deja Vu....just never when I'm hungry.

From what I recall, it's not but a few years old, started by a Katrina refugee that ended up staying.

#2984401 - 10/16/12 02:14 PM Re: Couple of Memphis Soul Food places [Re: TAFKAP]
Savage Shooter
8 Point

Loc: Shelby Co, Tn

Deja Vu was awesome. Been there several times when I worked day shift.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (TNErnie47, GOHUNT) and 71 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.