Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2983758 - 10/16/12 08:09 AM Major Problem, but what was it?
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

I'll try to keep this short:
Last year my bow got stolen (another story) and I decided since I was starting fresh I would get a crossbow. I went with the Barnett Wildcat Extreme. I tagged a doe in mid-season last year with it but was suprised that the bolt did not pass through: 20 yard shot perfect broadside no shoulder contact. VERY little blood on the ground but she didn't run far. THEN, at the end of season, I decided to take another doe: 25 yards broadside. The bolt didn't go through and I could see it protruding out as she ran off. I thought, O well won't go far, shot placement looked great. Got down and ZERO blood. After looking for 4 hours I had found 4 drops of blood and no deer. It shook my confidence. This year Opening day SAME STORY. Late in the morning lonely doe (maybe button buck) 20 yards. No pass through! I start shaking in the stand praying for good blood as I have seen this before. Found some blood and followed about 50-60 yards and vanished. Spent ALL DAY looking for deer, but it was in a thicket and could have gone anywhere. I'm sure some will slam for shot placement, but it was right on. Maybe not perfect but GOOD ETHICAL KILL SHOTS, just no penetration. Came right home and sold the xbow same day. Bought a Mathews and haven't looked back and will NEVER EVER own a crossbow again. The weird part is that the cross bow nearly shot through my target and my Mathews doesn't... but my Mathew's just went straight through a deer and so hard into the tree behind it that it split the MAXIMA shaft??? So, whats your thoughts? BTW, The Mathew's kill fell over, stood up, and fell back over.... no tracking this time...

You're never to old to learn something stupid.

#2983762 - 10/16/12 08:12 AM Re: Major Problem, but what was it? [Re: Urban_Hunter]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

Forgot to mention one important part and what I THINK the problem probably was. I was using Barnett Broadheads.... Looking back on the design I believe this could be problematic. Either way, I am a firm believer in confidence and I think if I was to lose another deer I would quit hunting. I have taken MANY deer over my life and NEVER been through something like this and would not even consider changing broadheads and taking that bow back in the woods... even though it seemed lighting fast and pin point accurate.

#2983808 - 10/16/12 08:42 AM Re: Major Problem, but what was it? [Re: Urban_Hunter]
droptine
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

how heavy is the arrow with broadhead?
crossbow manufturers have a recommended weight foir each xbow.

my Tenpoint needs at least 425 grains. that is total weight with broadhead.

#2983859 - 10/16/12 09:09 AM Re: Major Problem, but what was it? [Re: droptine]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

I'm not sure since I no longer have it, but it was a 125 grain Barnett Broad head and a Barnett Bolt. I bought it all together brand new last year: Bow, half dozen bolts, 3 pack of broadheads... all Barnett

#2984554 - 10/16/12 04:09 PM Re: Major Problem, but what was it? [Re: Urban_Hunter]
Ratvol
Spike

Loc: Ten Mile, Tn

I have an Excalibur that shoots Carbon bolts with the 2" Rage broadheads. I honestly believe they could pass through 2 deer at the same time. RAGE - It slices and dices and puts food in the freezer.

"Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man"
Ronald Reagan

#2984697 - 10/16/12 05:47 PM Re: Major Problem, but what was it? [Re: Ratvol]
BraveScout
Spike

Loc: Tennessee, USA

I just shot my second deer of the year today with my Excalibur. Its the Axiom, only 305 ft per second. One of the more inexpensive ones. I use the NAP Spitfire Maxx, 100 gr. The first two deer I killed with it were perfect broadside, and had complete pass through the ribs and buried up in ground. Today's was a little different. Quartering towards me, I pulled a little and hit a little high on front right shoulder. Busted through the opposite shoulder. Ran about 75 yrds straight downhill. The damage to its shoulder was amazing. Looked like I had shot it with my 30-06.
#2984989 - 10/16/12 08:13 PM Re: Major Problem, but what was it? [Re: BraveScout]
Orion6
8 Point

Loc: Soddy Daisy,TN

I shot a doe Sunday with a Barnett C5 Wildcat, probably the same Xbow as you have. Using a Rage head and Carbon Express bolts I got a complete pass through and she died within 50 yards.

Not sure what your problem was, but there has to be something wrong. I'd lean towards the broadheads. If not that, something has to be off.

I'd send it to Barnett and let them check it out, they have good customer service from what I hear.

I have total confidence in my Xbow and would not hesitate to hunt anything with my setup. These bows are fast and pack a lot of KE. Something is not right with the setup. It should be hammering the deer.

#2985444 - 10/17/12 12:42 AM Re: Major Problem, but what was it? [Re: Orion6]
JohnnyDollar
8 Point

Loc: tipton co. tn

I actually think it was something up with the broadheads that you were shooting, simply because you said it was penetrating the target deeper than your new vertical bow and I'm assuming that's with field tips, so the only difference would be the broadheads.

#2985748 - 10/17/12 09:21 AM Re: Major Problem, but what was it? [Re: JohnnyDollar]
Urban_Hunter
8 Point

In hindsight it has to be the broadheads. Johnny that is correct, with field tips the crossbow penetrated better than both my new bow and the bow that was stolen prior to buying the Barnett(I still use the same target). I would say I wish I would have tried a different broadhead, but as mentioned I did not feel comfortable taking that thing back into the woods. I'm sure the new owner loves it. I had no complaints with anything else, it was super fast and shot golf balls at 30 yards no joke. It just didn't get the job done I'm assuming now because of the broadheads.

If you look at the broadhead design it has a flat flange around the point that is supposed "catch" skin and bone and depress the piston to deploy the blades (it looked like a road cone, a point that came down to a flat base). I now think that if you hit a rib it would be like hitting it with a flat dime instead of splitting it with a point and blades. I think this is where the energy was lost. Make sense to anyone else?

#2985785 - 10/17/12 09:56 AM Re: Major Problem, but what was it? [Re: Urban_Hunter]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

Loc: Cumberland County,Tennessee, U...

Ramcat broadheads look at their yoitube video. Shot from a Xbow and out penetrates all the leading broadheads. Leaves the best trail!

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Huntinnut, DirtyBear0311) and 65 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89295 Topics
1044337 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.25 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.