Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2982945 - 10/15/12 06:02 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: TITANSFAN2104]
Ahuntin1
4 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN

I gave away a couple of those $40 lockons from Dicks last year since they were so uncomfortable. I think you needed one more than the guys that got them. They are too lazy to do half of what you did. I hope your carpentry skills are above par.
#2983021 - 10/15/12 06:56 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: Ahuntin1]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

so what do yall say is the weak point(s) on the stand? The wood, nails, or construction? I think I'll carry a safety harness out there next time. I don't feel unsafe in the stand at all. It's about 20 feet up and I'm comfortable in it. Double braced, from the top and the bottom. I like the wooden stand idea because you can make it to exactly fit your needs and make it comfortable, and without spending much money.

#2983047 - 10/15/12 07:10 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: richmanbarbeque]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Originally Posted By: richmanbarbeque
Catman, how high up us that?

I will give you a stand if you promise to replace that death trap with what I give you. I am being serious, you are going to get hurt.

He needs to take you up on that! Those old handyman stands are very prone to falling apart.

#2983172 - 10/15/12 08:06 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: catman529]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: catman529
so what do yall say is the weak point(s) on the stand? The wood, nails, or construction? I think I'll carry a safety harness out there next time. I don't feel unsafe in the stand at all. It's about 20 feet up and I'm comfortable in it. Double braced, from the top and the bottom. I like the wooden stand idea because you can make it to exactly fit your needs and make it comfortable, and without spending much money.

Catman, you are young aren't you? What, mid 20's, maybe 30. That's ok, not knocking age, but experience is invaluable!
Be careful, friend. Nails can----and DO----give way with no warning. Trees grow. Limbs grow. Nails don't. Get the picture ?
IF you are gonna hunt from that thing, wear a harness!!! You really should have a lifeline as well.
Not knocking your handyman skills, and I congratulate you on your success so far, I just don't wanna see you get hurt----------or worse.
Be careful!

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#2983262 - 10/15/12 08:35 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: TITANSFAN2104]
buckhunter42
4 Point

Loc: tn, us

be careful in that set up ....dont want to read where u were a victom of falling
#2983350 - 10/15/12 09:12 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: buckhunter42]
TNBowfish
4 Point

Loc: West Tennessee

Like everyone else said be careful in that thing, and definately wear a safety harness! That looks scary.
#2983493 - 10/15/12 10:34 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: TNBowfish]
SilverFox
10 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

I fell 17 foot out of a stand at about 16. It wasn't fun. Had I not been with my family I don't know what may I happened since I blacked out. If you must use that stand wear a safety belt for sure. That stand may not get you this year but it's coming.

Take one of those free stands and put it up where that one is. Use the wood to build a deck to hold your stuff if you must... Just don't trust it to hold you.

#2983516 - 10/15/12 11:04 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: SilverFox]
southernhunter
8 Point

Loc: alabama

Hey man, I have built several wood stands and (if) built right they work but not for long , even the steel stands rust out in time , u have a point in that wood stands can be built to your specs . Which is nice. BUT no matter what it's constructed out of be careful, I got a call last week . One of my dads friends fell out and now has a broke back in two places, we all love to hunt and tree stands are awesome . But nothing is worth laying up in the hospital or worse laying in a box in the ground , I am not. trying to sound ugly but I been in construction for most of my adult life and its hard to tell from a pic but your stand just don't look real sturdy to me. Lots of guys have gave u some good advice , be smart and take it . We are all hunters looking out for each other and all of us has done something unsafe while in the deer woods . To get the buck of are dreams . But he ain't worth the risk . I my safe will admit I have done some dum things , but the older I get the worse it hurts so I trying to learn to listen and take good advice . Wish u a great Season and above all a safe one .

Edited by southernhunter (10/15/12 11:09 PM)

#2983524 - 10/15/12 11:20 PM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: southernhunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Thanks all for the advice. looks like it may be a one year stand to be on the safe side.... honestly, I would hate to tear it down and put up a regular treestand. I could put a regular stand on a nearby tree no problem. This wooden stand will always have sentimental value, considering I killed my 1st bow deer, 1st doe from this stand. I should just leave it the way it is and only hunt out of it while it is fresh and strong... I don't see it falling apart any time this season because I built it pretty sturdy and used good nails, not the cheap ones that rust out. I'd be more worried about the wood rotting over the next couple years than I would about nails, but then I am not as experienced as some of you are.

The stand is braced on the bottom with 2x10 boards on either side of the tree, and then 2x4 braces on either side of the tree coming down on the top. Like I said it feels sturdy and safe when I am up in it. Who knows what could go wrong in the next few years but like I said it's a short term stand. Then I will eventually leave it alone to stay in place and remind me of the successful hunts and my first two does (and whatever else I may kill out of it this year)

#2983679 - 10/16/12 07:07 AM Re: My homemade stand pics [Re: catman529]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

At one time I hunted out of stands similar to yours. If built right they are strong enough for the first year or two.
The problem is that if you will notice next time your in it is that the tree is in constant motion. Wind blowing, etc. which can loosen boards and weaken nails.
The safest "home made" stands I ever build are ladder type stands which were not permanently attatched to the tree and were all built out of pressure treated lumber.
Not doubting your carpentry skills, but be sure and check everything out before you climb in it. They will and do fail over time. That is one of the reasons that they were outlawed on public land many years ago.
And yes, like others have already said WEAR A GOOD SAFETY HARNESS!! EVERYTIME!!!

Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14, woodie
13110 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (pledbetter, redhunterZ71, BamaProud, Roost 1, JandSCattleCo, Jon, 1 invisible) and 67 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13110 Members
42 Forums
89106 Topics
1042148 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.215 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.