Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#2982661 - 10/15/12 02:53 PM How much land to buy?
OHVATN
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

I've been interested in buying some hunting land for some time now. Just haven't had the money (20% down) given everything else screaming for it - college, kids, house, etc. etc. I know always more the better, but how much land would be sufficient for me, my son and my daughter to hunt deer and small game. Assume some timber, pasture. Is 50 acres too little, just right? I know it all depends on a number of factors, but in general, how much land is sufficient? 30 acres, 50 acres, 200? What do you think? Thanks. I appreciate your insights.

#2982701 - 10/15/12 03:22 PM Re: How much land to buy? [Re: OHVATN]
Spikes Tactical
8 Point

Loc: Greer, South Carolina

Good question and you actually answered your own question in that you have to look at all the other factors.

For me - I have 10.25 acres. Do I consider that enough NO - but will it fit my need for me to hunt on - YES. Obviously I would like more but that was what I could afford.

But then again, it is only me hunting and the other factors are:

My surrounding neighbors all have between 5 and 25 acres, our houses are a pretty decent ways away from each other, none of them hunt and I gained permission to either hunt or at a minimum recover my kill, the majority of the land is timber, ect...

Good luck and I hope you are able to secure some land - we all know they ain't gonna make any more of it and the price just keeps going up!!!

#2982712 - 10/15/12 03:26 PM Re: How much land to buy? [Re: Spikes Tactical]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

So many answers,what do people do around you,type of terrain and natural food soources,cover,deer population.........but,all that you can afford.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#2982824 - 10/15/12 04:40 PM Re: How much land to buy? [Re: Football Hunter]
OHVATN
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Thanks. I know it depends on a range of factors, but I'm trying to survey everyone's thoughts about the minimum acreage one should look for. My brother can hunt his 3+ acres but he's got a farm behind him. I'm stuck in suburbia and my hunting land would need to be a drive away. If its got some water, some pasture/open acres, mostly timber, and I tend it/care for it, is 30 acres enough?

#2982951 - 10/15/12 06:06 PM Re: How much land to buy? [Re: OHVATN]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Honestly, as much land as you can aford. For 3 people, I would look for no less than 150 acres, but that size property may not be in the cards. Also remember, land prices get cheaper the farther you are from a major metro area. Prices drop considerably once you hit an hour drive from one of the major cities, and drop again at 1 1/2 to 2 hours away.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2983007 - 10/15/12 06:43 PM Re: How much land to buy? [Re: BSK]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

All true statements mentioned. If it were me, obviously the more land the better. One of the BIGGEST factors is I would MAKE SURE there was a field atleast 1 acre or had a few fields. Reason being, I grew up hunting small food plots. You saw alot of deer, killed alot, and I learned alot from that. Teach them about planting fields. Heck, back before we could afford a tractor, I remember my dad getting my cousin and I to plow a field with hammers; that fall, I killed a little doe out of that food plot - meant the absolute world to me. I reaped what I sowed. Not only that, but you can have a little dove field (teach them that and let them experience that). Maybe at some point you can dig a pond and implement fishing. Just going from experience here: Another thing (and I know I'm gettin to specifics) but we had a small creek on our place growing up. We dug it out and had a little watering hole. Put some fish in there. Also, dug for crawfish. I learned most of my knowledge on an 82 acre place. It offered everything: Woods, fields, creek, and we had a pond made.

There are MANY things a field can provide for kids. Just weigh the pro's and con's. Biggest thing: Pro's being defined as potential learning opportunities for hunting, fishing, planting, etc...

Good luck!

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#2983024 - 10/15/12 06:59 PM Re: How much land to buy? [Re: JCDEERMAN]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

Ive got 57 acresand its enough for me but I really want to buy some of the land behind me.More is much better..

#2983044 - 10/15/12 07:07 PM Re: How much land to buy? [Re: diamond hunter]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

It all depends on how its laid out. We own 81 acres in Ky and have hunted up to 8 people on it before and never got in each others way and seen different deer. Ive had several people say its the biggest 81 acres theyve ever seen. Its about 50 acres wood and 30 acres of fields chopped up from front to back. Since weve bought it only 4 of us hunt it but could hunt more if we wanted.

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#2983131 - 10/15/12 07:51 PM Re: How much land to buy? [Re: rem270]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

i just bought 60 beautiful acres. bought it to build a hgouse on, but it is loaded with deer

#2983380 - 10/15/12 09:23 PM Re: How much land to buy? [Re: redblood]
HMHunters75
Spike

Loc: TN

I would rather own the right 20 acres than the wrong 200 acres. A multitude of factors can constitute "right" and "wrong". I am commenting on this purely from the perspective of a deer hunter, irrespective of marketable timber, road frontage, mineral rights, etc. What surrounds the potential property would matter a great deal to me. Topography and cover are important as well in my opinion.
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered and 31 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100240 Topics
1180145 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.