Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2975614 - 10/10/12 11:04 AM deer sausage
william martin
4 Point

Loc: va

anybody got any good recipes for patty or link sausage all help appreciated thanks

#2975731 - 10/10/12 12:33 PM Re: deer sausage [Re: william martin]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

2.5lbs of pork fat to 7.5lbs of deer meat. Grind it and usually use Legg's sausage seasoning, sometimes other local blends. Mix it by hand and make a small patty to throw in the skillet, I do this till I get it like I want it. And if I want it hot, I add a little extra cayenne or crushed red pepper to it.

Before I package it, I let it set over night in the fridge with the seasoning mixed in.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#2975749 - 10/10/12 12:49 PM Re: deer sausage [Re: thetoolman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Toasted Fennel is a nice touch. I just eyeball my fat to meat ratio at ~1 to 3
As Toolman said, just cook and sample to taste. Note: Use fresh seasonings, don't use seasonings that have been sitting on your shelf for 3 years. It makes a big difference.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2975801 - 10/10/12 01:29 PM Re: deer sausage [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Poser
As Toolman said, just cook and sample to taste. Note: Use fresh seasonings, don't use seasonings that have been sitting on your shelf for 3 years. It makes a big difference.

If you REALLY want to make a big difference, visit http://www.penzeys.com

Or if you're in Memphis, Penzey's has a store next door to Swanky's Taco Shop at Poplar & Kirby.

#2975919 - 10/10/12 02:52 PM Re: deer sausage [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

Or if you're in Memphis, Penzey's has a store next door to Swanky's Taco Shop at Poplar & Kirby.

I'll go there next time I have $400 to spend on spices... Haha (no really, I wish I did have $400 to spend there)

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2975950 - 10/10/12 03:07 PM Re: deer sausage [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

I normally mix 2:1 venison to pork scrap cuts(these are pork trimmings I get from my local butcher shop)Then add my seasonings pending on what type of sausage I want.

I found a product that is fabulous breakfast sausage, it is High Mtns/Western Legends authentic Wyoming recipe breakfast sausage mix. Got is at Bass Pro Shop, $4.99 and it makes 24lbs of sausage. Best seasoning I have ever tasted for breakfast sausage.

I have an entire book of sausage recipes, some with rather exotic spice lists, sometimes it is easier/cost effective to purchase ready made sausage kits from places like LEMS or the Sausage Maker. They have a wide variety to choose from.

FDXX75

#2978728 - 10/12/12 11:05 AM Re: deer sausage [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

I'll go there next time I have $400 to spend on spices... Haha (no really, I wish I did have $400 to spend there)

Some peoples' wives have shoe addictions. Others, have clothes addictions. I dread looking at the bank account the day my wife marauds Penzeys. Usually, she goes in there for stuff we need, and comes out with a couple additional bottles of stuff she decides we need while she's in there. If you subscribe to their newsletter, they send out catalogs about every quarter or so with a coupon for a free spice to try.

Here's our "must have" list of Penzeys stuff:
1) Black & Red: a mix of black pepper and cayenne
2) Penzey's Mural: 'muricanized version of Herbs de Provence, with some additional twist
3) Herbs de Provence
4) 4S Seasoned Salt
5) Onion & garlic powders
6) Penzey's Cinnamon

If we are out of any of the above, a new Penzey's run is required. But we have many others that get special nod as well. Any of their Indian flavors, cocoa powders, various European styled seasonings, and herbs. I partially credit Penzey's with my great placement in the MiM Exotic category. Their herbs and seasonings were a large part of my flavor profile.

#2980636 - 10/14/12 08:19 AM Re: deer sausage [Re: TAFKAP]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

I was requested to post a recipe and was looking through my cookbook collection and looky what I found............275 pages of prepping, cooking, smoking, etc SAUSAGE!!!!!!!!

Where should I start gentlemen? LOL

FDXX75

Edited by FULLDRAWXX75 (10/14/12 08:20 AM)

#2981378 - 10/14/12 06:27 PM Re: deer sausage [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
william martin
4 Point

Loc: va

id say you could prob find a couple in there

#2982336 - 10/15/12 10:44 AM Re: deer sausage [Re: william martin]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

If anyone would like me to send them any mixture recipes, just holla at me..................

FDXX75

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
15 registered (CornPile, 1 good shot, HuntFish714, Hangnail, junebugwapiti, catman529) and 64 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93433 Topics
1090868 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.125 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.