Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#2981907 - 10/15/12 01:38 AM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: BSK]
Wells Taxidermy
4 Point

Loc: Millington,TN

x2 Deer are built to survive. in more ways than one. ;\)
 Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Public land rat
Ive read several times on here about non-fatal hits and the animal being "fine". I aint trying to bash anyone or start anything but i disagree. We have killed a couple of deer on corps land during muzzleloader that when we started to quarter the deer up they were badly infected. Last 1 was hit high with a broadhead in no mans land obviously in bow season, my brother shot it with a mzldr. from its hams to neck was green and yellow. the deer wouldnt have lasted much longer. the reason i posted this is because i have a friend who shot a doe, couldn't find her and justified himself by saying "i think it was a non-fatal hit, she'll probly live". He didnt do his due diligence in the shot or tracking. I have lost deer and it makes me sick every time. Someone at sometime had told him "its ok it'll probly live". I disagree with this and feel thats the wrong attitude. i'm sure others in here have similiar or different experiences, but do all u can to retrieve

I certainly don't want to help anyone justify bad hits or not doing everything possible to find a wounded deer. But at that same time, if a deer's internal body cavity is not punctured, it will often survive serious injury. In fact many deer survive a one-lung hit. They are tough, tough animals. Just because a deer shows infection from a wound, even serious subcuteaneous infection, does not mean that deer will die. They have shockingly effective immune systems.

Studies done in bow-only WMAs have found that many harvested deer have multiple healed past wounds from arrows. If they can survive multiple arrowings, they are tough, and will survive non-lethal hits on a regular basis.

Again, I don't want to help justify bad shooting, but unless the central body cavity is punctured, deer often survive the wound, and on occassion (one-lung hit) can survive body cavity hits.

#2982158 - 10/15/12 08:28 AM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: JandSCattleCo]
Snake
18 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: JandSCattleCo
Yeah, I hit that buck yesterday. Yes, I did due diligence in tracking him. No, I did not recover him. Nor did my father, wife or hunting buddy that also helped me look.

Pretty sure he went somewhere and died. If you would like to come track him as you must be better at it than us, I'll give you the address.

Yes, I am sick at losing that deer. It was my first deer with a bow, and my first buck with 2 antlers.

Thanks for making me feel worse.

Most hunters feel bad enough as it is and if you hunt long enough you are apt to lose one but if you dilligently look for the deer until all hope is exhausted then I think that's is all you can do .You have that hope that the deer will survive and if not God has plenty of animals thay will feed off of the animal so in all reaility it will not be wasted !!!!

#2982199 - 10/15/12 09:05 AM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: Snake]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

Just because they survive doesn't mean they don't suffer. I hate for an animal to suffer. Try to make a clean shot.
#2982271 - 10/15/12 09:58 AM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: TRIGGER]
Jaahspike
4 Point

Loc: Wilson/Crockett

Just because they survive doesn't mean they don't suffer. I hate for an animal to suffer. Try to make a clean shot.

We all hate for them to suffer and none of us "try to make a bad shot".

I know what you mean though.

#2982361 - 10/15/12 11:01 AM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: timberjack86]
GOODWIN
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Originally Posted By: timberjack86
Here ya go I found it. Doe survives chest cavity hit.

I've hit deer like this high in the chest and not recovered them. I know for a fact of two that survived. One from a trail cam pic and the other from laying eyes on her again. Guess I got one lung if at all. People living just fine with one lung so I guess deer can as well. They are tough for sure!

#2982376 - 10/15/12 11:12 AM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: timberjack86]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

BSK is right saying deer are tough, tough animals. when I shot my first doe, it clipped the heart and she bled a lot while running 200 yards before bedding down. When we jumped her up she could barely get up but managed to jump in the creek and drown. Her heart had a gash in it the whole time. They are friggin tough animals.

#2982412 - 10/15/12 11:38 AM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: Public land rat]
oldmanelrod
6 Point

Loc: TN/AL state line

Originally Posted By: Public land rat
Ive read several times on here about non-fatal hits and the animal being "fine". I aint trying to bash anyone or start anything but i disagree. We have killed a couple of deer on corps land during muzzleloader that when we started to quarter the deer up they were badly infected. Last 1 was hit high with a broadhead in no mans land obviously in bow season, my brother shot it with a mzldr. from its hams to neck was green and yellow. the deer wouldnt have lasted much longer. the reason i posted this is because i have a friend who shot a doe, couldn't find her and justified himself by saying "i think it was a non-fatal hit, she'll probly live". He didnt do his due diligence in the shot or tracking. I have lost deer and it makes me sick every time. Someone at sometime had told him "its ok it'll probly live". I disagree with this and feel thats the wrong attitude. i'm sure others in here have similiar or different experiences, but do all u can to retrieve

I agree with most of your post. However my local processor-who is a butcher year round- has a jar full of broadheads that he has removed from deer through the years. He told me that in many cases the deer's body will build a wall of scar tissue around the broadhead and the deer goes on with life. I think you are right that there are many are deer that do die but I also think that there are those that survive after being wounded.

#2982563 - 10/15/12 01:34 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: GOODWIN]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I have killed deer that had broadheads and bullets in them, and had had those projectiles in them for some time. I have seen amazing pictures of the places deer had broadheads imbedded in them, including pentrating the skull and entering the braincase.

Twice we've shot bucks with firearms (one a MZ hit, another a 270 hit), lost the bucks, and then killed them several days later. The bucks were up and moving fine. In fact, in both instances the bucks were chasing does again within a few days of the first injury.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2983049 - 10/15/12 07:12 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: BSK]
JandSCattleCo
8 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
I have killed deer that had broadheads and bullets in them, and had had those projectiles in them for some time. I have seen amazing pictures of the places deer had broadheads imbedded in them, including pentrating the skull and entering the braincase.

Twice we've shot bucks with firearms (one a MZ hit, another a 270 hit), lost the bucks, and then killed them several days later. The bucks were up and moving fine. In fact, in both instances the bucks were chasing does again within a few days of the first injury.

...Whats the old saying "When you're hot, you're hot!" \:D

-Breathe Easy

#2983115 - 10/15/12 07:45 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: JandSCattleCo]
PapPaw
8 Point

Loc: Ooltewah,tn.

I am not sure how much pain deer feel. I have seen deer double lung shot go back to feeding, until they fell dead. They never appeared to know they were hurt.I have also shot bucks that were chaseing hot does, keep after them until they dropped dead.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (delta, dgb7mm, Teacher) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.