Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2981013 - 10/14/12 02:12 PM "non-fatal hits"
Public land rat
Spike

Loc: Tn

Ive read several times on here about non-fatal hits and the animal being "fine". I aint trying to bash anyone or start anything but i disagree. We have killed a couple of deer on corps land during muzzleloader that when we started to quarter the deer up they were badly infected. Last 1 was hit high with a broadhead in no mans land obviously in bow season, my brother shot it with a mzldr. from its hams to neck was green and yellow. the deer wouldnt have lasted much longer. the reason i posted this is because i have a friend who shot a doe, couldn't find her and justified himself by saying "i think it was a non-fatal hit, she'll probly live". He didnt do his due diligence in the shot or tracking. I have lost deer and it makes me sick every time. Someone at sometime had told him "its ok it'll probly live". I disagree with this and feel thats the wrong attitude. i'm sure others in here have similiar or different experiences, but do all u can to retrieve
#2981045 - 10/14/12 02:43 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: Public land rat]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Hunters, unfortunately do try to justify bad hits that way. On the other hand controlled studies do show that a much larger percentage of unrecivered bow shot animals do recover than those shot with a gun.

This is not to say, "if you don't find them, they are fine". That is by no means true. But many animals that are marginally hit, do recover. Almost 100% of gut shot animals die. A few do recover. It depends on peritonits-infection fromt he contents.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2981049 - 10/14/12 02:44 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: Public land rat]
JandSCattleCo
8 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Yeah, I hit that buck yesterday. Yes, I did due diligence in tracking him. No, I did not recover him. Nor did my father, wife or hunting buddy that also helped me look.

Pretty sure he went somewhere and died. If you would like to come track him as you must be better at it than us, I'll give you the address.

Yes, I am sick at losing that deer. It was my first deer with a bow, and my first buck with 2 antlers.

Thanks for making me feel worse.

-Breathe Easy

#2981068 - 10/14/12 02:53 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: JandSCattleCo]
bowriter
Non-Typical

J&S, if that was aimed at me, I had no idea you even shot a deer yesterday. But I appologize anyway. You should have called me, I would have bright my tracking dog.

If you shoot enoough animals, you are going to lose some. Some recover, some don't. You do the best you can and then, move on.

Unfortunately some don't do enough.

#2981073 - 10/14/12 02:58 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: bowriter]
JandSCattleCo
8 Point

No Mr. Sloan it wasn't towards you. We were apparently posting at the same time and yours went up before mine.

To the best of my recollection I put a solid hit on the deer, with a loud thwack sound on impact, then he ran off. From where my wife was she could see him run off with the luminock dancing. I'm sure it was a good hit, then we withdrew, ate dinner, and gave him time to die. We tracked from 7:30 to 10:00 last night, then I went and got a buddy of mine that is very good at tracking. We tracked from 7:30 to noon today. Blood just stopped.

-Breathe Easy

#2981083 - 10/14/12 03:07 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: JandSCattleCo]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Let me offer this up as a possibility.

The thwack would make me think shoulder blade in the thick part. That would also tie in with the arrow not going all the way through. That would also mean you would see what appears to be a good hit because the nock would look to be further back.

That would all add up to just exactly what you describe in terms of blood and everything. It might also mean a deer that survives unless the head fully penetrated the shoulder and hit vital organs. Even a one-lung hit can be non-fatal.

That is my take on it.

#2981104 - 10/14/12 03:26 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: bowriter]
JandSCattleCo
8 Point

My dad called a few minutes ago and was told very similar from the folk he works with at the plant.

I hate that he is probably dead and I wasn't able to recover. I feel sick about it because to me it's now become a waste of a life that I wasn't able to recover the meat. The antlers were just a bonus. A big bonus.

-Breathe Easy

#2981119 - 10/14/12 03:35 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: Public land rat]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Public land rat
Ive read several times on here about non-fatal hits and the animal being "fine". I aint trying to bash anyone or start anything but i disagree. We have killed a couple of deer on corps land during muzzleloader that when we started to quarter the deer up they were badly infected. Last 1 was hit high with a broadhead in no mans land obviously in bow season, my brother shot it with a mzldr. from its hams to neck was green and yellow. the deer wouldnt have lasted much longer. the reason i posted this is because i have a friend who shot a doe, couldn't find her and justified himself by saying "i think it was a non-fatal hit, she'll probly live". He didnt do his due diligence in the shot or tracking. I have lost deer and it makes me sick every time. Someone at sometime had told him "its ok it'll probly live". I disagree with this and feel thats the wrong attitude. i'm sure others in here have similiar or different experiences, but do all u can to retrieve

I certainly don't want to help anyone justify bad hits or not doing everything possible to find a wounded deer. But at that same time, if a deer's internal body cavity is not punctured, it will often survive serious injury. In fact many deer survive a one-lung hit. They are tough, tough animals. Just because a deer shows infection from a wound, even serious subcuteaneous infection, does not mean that deer will die. They have shockingly effective immune systems.

Studies done in bow-only WMAs have found that many harvested deer have multiple healed past wounds from arrows. If they can survive multiple arrowings, they are tough, and will survive non-lethal hits on a regular basis.

Again, I don't want to help justify bad shooting, but unless the central body cavity is punctured, deer often survive the wound, and on occassion (one-lung hit) can survive body cavity hits.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2981135 - 10/14/12 03:46 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: BSK]
Southern Sportsman
8 Point

Loc: West TN

Does anyone remember the "How did this doe survive" thread last year? Guy shot a doe with a rage and got a complete pass though and lost the deer. Few days later he got trail cam pictures of the deer showing both the entrance and exit wound going through the chest cavity. As far anyone could guess he just got 1 lung. He updated with pictures later showing more pictures of the deer pretty well healed. They are amazingly tough, but I agree with the original post. Just because many deer survive does not mean that people should assume a non-fatal hit and quit looking.
#2981138 - 10/14/12 03:48 PM Re: "non-fatal hits" [Re: BSK]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Does anyone remember the thread last year about the doe being shot with a rage behind the shoulder and surviveing? Can anyone pull up a link to the pics?

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
123 registered (DaveB, worriedman, WVBulldog, Deer Whisperer, RAFI, Kingston, 15 invisible) and 192 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95706 Topics
1120404 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.