Tndeer Logo

Page 200 of 262 « First<198199200201202>Last »
Topic Options
#2972593 - 10/08/12 08:40 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Originally Posted By: preachermantom
Thank you Scott for filling in...you do an awesome job! I like that last one too...it is needed for us men!

Thank you Tom! Hope you had a great week brother!

#2972595 - 10/08/12 08:41 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: preachermantom
Sin has consequences!

One thing I have found is that the bible clearly teaches that our sin has consequences!

Judges 2:1-4

2 Then the Angel of the Lord came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said: “I led you up from Egypt and brought you to the land of which I swore to your fathers; and I said, ‘I will never break My covenant with you. 2 And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this? 3 Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.’” 4 So it was, when the Angel of the Lord spoke these words to all the children of Israel, that the people lifted up their voices and wept.

Over and over God had mercy on Israel in the old testament. He forgave them many, many times. Just like a good parent, God loves his children but when they do wrong, punishment will come. Thank God that he forgives us but we still have to reap what we sow. Look at verse 2 again, can you hear the hurt in God's voice?

2 And you shall make no covenant with the inhabitants of this land; you shall tear down their altars.’ But you have not obeyed My voice. Why have you done this?

How many times does God say the same thing to us when we disobey?

Then in verse 3 God tells them the consequences for their failure to obey:

3 Therefore I also said, ‘I will not drive them out before you; but they shall be thorns in your side, and their gods shall be a snare to you.’”

Now for us we are not always told what our consequences will be, sometimes we do know. The point to catch here is sin brings consequences, it is a clear teaching from the start of the bible...Adam and Eve and the curse brought on by sin.

The peoples response in much like ours:

that the people lifted up their voices and wept.

When we get caught we feel bad. The key here is to obey from the beginning and reap God's blessings!

So this morning let us think about everything we do, obey the Lord, and not have to face the consequences of sin!

Tom

Amen!

#2974153 - 10/09/12 10:16 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: Kimber45]
preachermantom
12 Point

Loc: waverly,tn,USA

Gluttony...the hidden sin.

As we have continued in our study at church called "Seven daily sins" which is based on the 7 deadly sins in the bible, we study this week on gluttony. Why do we not talk and preach on this sin? Maybe it is because we love food so much! I have to admit this lesson really spoke to me. So let's see what the scripture says:

Proverbs 23:2

2 and put a knife to your throat

if you are given to gluttony.

Proverbs 23:21-22

21 for the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty,

and slumber will clothe them with rags.

1 Corinthians 6:12

12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Galatians 5:16-26

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Philippians 3:19

19 whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things.

Now here is the key to gluttony....the sin is not the food itself, the sin is over indulgence. Over eating or drinking hurts us in many areas not just our health. The most hurtful way is sin against God. God desires for us to have self-control. Eat what we need not gorge ourselves so that we feel miserable. How much food do we waste in our bellies that could be used to help those in need. Ever thought about that?

So think on gluttony today...hope you are not like me cause this one hit me right between the eyes!

Tom

Jesus Christ

http://walkthewalkwithjesus.blogspot.com

#2974349 - 10/09/12 12:22 PM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Right there with ya on this one PMT....

#2975446 - 10/10/12 08:59 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: Kimber45]
preachermantom
12 Point

Qualities of a saved man or woman.

Check this verse out:

Titus 2:6-8

6 Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled. 7 Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, 8 and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.

These verses show us qualities of a saved person. Look at them and then evaluate yourself.

First, we see self control. This is a pillar in our faith. We must have self control. To have this the help of the Holy Spirit is a must. For we need that warning from the Spirit when we are about to do wrong. When we have self control we can faithfully live the Christian life.

Second, we see model of good works. Good works are a sign you are a follower of Jesus. Good works do not save you but prove you do what your faith tells you to do such as helping others, loving others, being a good husband or wife, ect.

Third, we see teaching. No matter what you may think, the bible is clear we must teach our faith to others. Family, friends, co-workers, and anybody who will listen!

Fourth, we see integrity. Live your life honestly. Do what you say. Let your yes be yes and your no be no!

Fifth, we see dignity. Treat others with respect no matter who they are. Jesus did and he expects us to do the same.

Sixth, we see sound speech that does not condemn. Talk to people in a loving way. When we jump on people they will not listen to what we have to say. When we talk to people with love chances are they will atleast listen to what we have to say.

When we live our lives this way, we live in a way that honors Christ for He is our example. Also it is very hard for anyone to speak evil of one who lives their life this way because others know it is a lie!

So do you have these qualities child of God? You can! Start today and pray for help from the Holy Spirit!

Tom

Jesus Christ

#2975457 - 10/10/12 09:06 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Strong message PMT!

#2975466 - 10/10/12 09:08 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
rabbit hunter
14 Point

Loc: Beech Bluff, TN

Thanks Tom

#2976800 - 10/11/12 08:02 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: rabbit hunter]
preachermantom
12 Point

Be an example.

Continuing from the thought process of yesterday (if you didn't read go do that now! lol) Paul was a great example to Timothy which we see here:

2 Timothy 3:10-12

10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, 11 persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra—what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution.

As followers of Christ we are to be good examples to other believers in our faith. Let's look at a few things Paul pointed out to the young Timothy:

1. Follow my doctrine. Now what was the doctrine of Paul? The Word of God! It wasn't his opinion of what the scriptures say, Paul had divine revelation straight from God. He wanted Timothy to be sure to carefully stay true to this doctrine. We should be teaching others that God's Word is truth and absolute. Stick to it, don't turn from it no matter what anybody else says!

2. Follow my manner of life. What was Paul's manner of life? Christ like. Once he was converted his life was one of trying to be like Jesus at all times. Did he fail at times? Yes. But he lived for Jesus. Are we being good examples of living a Christ like life? It can be a great witness to others!

3. Follow my purpose. What was Paul's purpose? This very easy...to share Jesus. Is that our purpose in life? It should be.

4. Follow my faith. What was Paul's faith in? This is easy also...Jesus! No doubt as he devoted his life to Jesus! Is your life devoted to Jesus?

5. Paul was longsuffering. Which means Paul suffered long in his walk with the Lord and with dealing with others. I wonder how many of us would still be followers of Christ if we had to go through what Paul did...snake bit, beaten many times, left for dead, ship wrecked, imprisoned!

6. Paul loved. If Paul didn't love God and people he would have given up early in his ministry!

7. Paul showed perseverance. Wow did he ever. He was like the energizer bunny...he just kept going and going. Nothing but death could stop him!

8. Persecutions/afflictions. I already talked about these in #5. Wow did he suffer!

Now here is the key to staying faithful to God even in hard times: And out of them all the Lord delivered me. When we are faithful to God and follow with all we have, God will take care of his own! Praise God! What a word to a young person or for that matter anyone who is new to the faith! Then comes the promise we need to look at very closely: 12 Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. Notice Paul did not say may or might, He said WILL! This a a sign for our walk with God...if you are not suffering some sort of persecution for your faith in Christ it is a good sign you are not doing much for Christ. An example of this might be someone calling you some sort of name because you talk about Jesus with others.

This is our goal:

1 Peter 2:11-12

11 Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul, 12 having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.

So my friends, are we teaching these traits to others? We must be an example! It is not really a choice as a believer it is our duty!

Tom.

Jesus Christ

#2978454 - 10/12/12 08:38 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
preachermantom
12 Point

Be an example. (cont)

Is it arrogance for the writers here to say follow my example? Paul was the author for Philippians and 1 Corinthians passages, possibly the Hebrews passage but we are not sure on that one. My thought on these scriptures are they lived lives worthy of following as they represented Jesus in an awesome way. Read over these verses:

Philippians 3:17

17 Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern.

Hebrews 13:7

7 Remember those who rule over you, who have spoken the word of God to you, whose faith follow, considering the outcome of their conduct.

1 Corinthians 4:16

16 Therefore I urge you, imitate me.

1 Corinthians 11:1

11 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

When we go back and review the lives of the early followers of Christ, they were the real deal! They made mistakes sure but they were on fire for God and lived their lives for Jesus. Often dying for the cause of Christ. The key is what we see in the 1 Corinthians 11:1 passage "as I also imitate Christ". Don't follow anyone who is not trying to live for Christ. As believers we are to do our very best to imitate Christ. To do that we must know how Christ lived and what he expects from us in representing Him everyday. To know these things we must be in our Bibles! How can you know the things of Christ without reading your bible? You can't. I can not stress enough how important it is to read and study your bibles. It is of utmost importance to a Christians life!

When you are in the bible you also see how the disciples and apostles and other believers lived their live which show us the way too. So this morning as we close out the week, examine your life and walk with the Lord and see if you are being a good example. If you don't know, get in that Word and find out!

Tom

Jesus Christ

#2982124 - 10/15/12 08:05 AM Re: Preachermantom's Daily Devotional [Re: preachermantom]
preachermantom
12 Point

Serving others! GREAT JOB TNDEER!

One of the best ways we can live out our faith is by serving others. A group of friends of mine did this very thing on Saturday. I am a proud member of http://www.tndeer.com It is like a family. We joke, we talk about all kinds of hunting, we disagree about politics lol, we pray for one another, and as we seen this past weekend we help one another. Now I don't know the beliefs of all these men and women but I do know many are followers of Jesus like myself. Let me give you the details of this weekend.

We at tndeer have a friend named Curtis. Curtis is wheel chair bound. That doesn't stop Curtis from living life to the fullest. Curtis has recently had some other health problems build up. A life threatening blood clot in his leg, and some other infections have kept Curtis in the hospital or in bed at home for several weeks. Curtis has been wanting to get a deck built at his house for some time now but with the health issues he just couldn't get it done. So the family at tndeer pulled together and went to Curtis's house Saturday and worked all day and built his deck!!! Finished, done, complete! These fine folks fulfilled this verse:

Galatians 5:13

For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

I wish I could have been there myself Saturday but I wasn't. I did pray for this group and for Curtis that he will get well soon. My friends if we would take these men and women's example and serve others this world would be a much better place. They world would see Jesus through our love in serving others. It brings tears to my eyes thinking about what you all have done for Curtis. I want to personally thank those who served, I am honored to call you my friends! Keep up the good work!

Tom

Edited by preachermantom (10/15/12 08:07 AM)

Jesus Christ

Page 200 of 262 « First<198199200201202>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
18 registered (Daniel n, varmint1111, hillbill, Brandon Todd, usanglure, gobblegrunt, 1 invisible) and 70 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95695 Topics
1120202 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.096 seconds in which 0.04 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.