Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2977930 - 10/11/12 09:07 PM Two Cookbooks from the Library
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I picked up two cookbooks from the library today: The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook by Sharon Kramis & Julie Kramis Hearne and Preparing Fish & Wild Game. Preparing Fish & Wild Game is one of three wild game cookbooks the local library has. I started with it because it has the most squirrel recipes.

Anybody familiar with these books? Favorite recipes from either one? I also pulled out my LL Bean cookbook this week and found a squirrel cobbler recipe that I am eager to try.

#2977946 - 10/11/12 09:12 PM Re: Two Cookbooks from the Library [Re: WMAn]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

I think I have both of them, I bought them yrs ago, but have not used them in some time. I think I got them through a book club my ex was a member of or something.

FDXX75

#2977969 - 10/11/12 09:24 PM Re: Two Cookbooks from the Library [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Heard good things about the LL Bean book.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2978047 - 10/11/12 09:49 PM Re: Two Cookbooks from the Library [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Poser,

I really like the LL Bean book. I also came across a section of it on using juniper berries, which I know you use. The author recommends adding 2 ounces of juniper flavored gin, first warmed, to 8-10 crushed juniper berries, and then flaming the mixture. Then use the remaining liquid after the flames burn out as you would have used the juniper berries in the recipe you are preparing. Have you ever tried this?

There is also a beaver tail recipe we may have to try out. Those beavers taunted me every time I fished that pond this summer.

#2978099 - 10/11/12 10:19 PM Re: Two Cookbooks from the Library [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Never heard of doing that, but we do use Juniper berries a good bit this time of year. They really compliment venison very well.

Beaver is still on my bucket list. Backstraps as well as a tail full of fat. I even stopped to check a road kill beaver last week, but it was too bloated. We might have to revisit that beaver pond next time I'm up that way.

BTW, this book is supposed to be excellent: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1599621142/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2978398 - 10/12/12 07:54 AM Re: Two Cookbooks from the Library [Re: Poser]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Not trying to steal the thread, I have @ 25-30 different cookbooks (at least) in my collection, a good majority of them are outdoor or country style cooking related. If there is anything in particular anyone is/might be interested in, throw it out here and I will give a look see in them and scan the pages and send/post them here.
I know of a really great white chili, it uses wild game birds and white beans & green chili's. I have made it before and it is really good.

FDXX75

Edited by FULLDRAWXX75 (10/12/12 07:55 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#2979501 - 10/13/12 12:43 AM Re: Two Cookbooks from the Library [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

WMAn you really like squirrel don't you! \:D

which is your favorite way to cook squirrel? I need to pull one out of the freezer or shoot a fresh one and cook it sometime soon. Last time I tried squirrel was straight breaded and fried and I didn't like the taste much..

#2979559 - 10/13/12 06:02 AM Re: Two Cookbooks from the Library [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
Not trying to steal the thread, I have @ 25-30 different cookbooks (at least) in my collection, a good majority of them are outdoor or country style cooking related. If there is anything in particular anyone is/might be interested in, throw it out here and I will give a look see in them and scan the pages and send/post them here.
I know of a really great white chili, it uses wild game birds and white beans & green chili's. I have made it before and it is really good.

FDXX75

How about sharing the white chili recipe. Sounds great. hanks.

#2980085 - 10/13/12 06:12 PM Re: Two Cookbooks from the Library [Re: catman529]
WMAn
8 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529
WMAn you really like squirrel don't you! \:D

which is your favorite way to cook squirrel? I need to pull one out of the freezer or shoot a fresh one and cook it sometime soon. Last time I tried squirrel was straight breaded and fried and I didn't like the taste much..

I really like to shoot squirrels. There are few ducks here so my dogs like to retrieve squirrels. I'm learning to like eating squirrels. ;\)

When I was growing up, I shot squirrels and gave them to my grandfather (brains and all). He died in 2005, and I have no one else to give them to so I have to eat my own.

#2980640 - 10/14/12 08:24 AM Re: Two Cookbooks from the Library [Re: Hawk]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Hawk
 Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

FDXX75

How about sharing the white chili recipe. Sounds great. hanks.

Here ya go Hawk,

I added the wild rice soup as well.

FDXX75

PS: Both are from the NAHC Favorite Wild Game Cookbook.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (reloadxx, ruger7mag, Vermin93, BigDaddyFreeze, bassybuck47, DIRTTRAX, 2 invisible) and 74 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95975 Topics
1123848 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.