Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2976625 - 10/11/12 12:36 AM Rookie thoughts
eweisner
8 Point

Loc: Portland, TN

So this my second year deer hunting. I've been watching the posts about food sources, hunting from the ground, tree stands, and all other sorts of great information and opinions.

With all this info bouncing around in my head I started into a WMA that was new to me. I hit the tree line and started walking on Acorns. I scouted a bit, found a bedding area, a good trail, and then stumbled on a small waterning hole. Scoured the ground found good sign and a good spot. Got still and in less than 10 minutes I had a doe at 50 yards. Watched her for the better part of 15 minutes and she meanadered off.

I waited a while and and wanted to know where she came from so I moved. Found her trail and a different spot. I never saw the second one, but the alarm blow was so close I heard th inhale aftwards. Great afternoon.

So after my litle narrative I have to ask, how many hunt watering holes?

Edited by eweisner (10/11/12 12:38 AM)
Edit Reason: can't spell

http://confessionsofanovicebowhunter.wordpress.com

#2976626 - 10/11/12 12:42 AM Re: Rookie thoughts [Re: eweisner]
TNGunhunter
6 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

Cover, food, & water. Normally can't go wrong...I found a place with all three and picked a couple of stand spots overlooking the trails between these destinations. I won't be hunting till gun season, so I went and checked trail cam at mid day...jumped 2 deer while I was there. One walked in on me as I was checking the trail cam...cool day.

#2976633 - 10/11/12 02:55 AM Re: Rookie thoughts [Re: TNGunhunter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Some years, when it is hot and dry, they can be awesome. Most years, they are average at best EXCEPT for one time. In the peak of the chasing, bucks get hot and thirsty. A water hole at MIDDAY can be quite productive especially if it is in thick cover.

But you have got to quit moving around somuch and sit still when you find a good spot. and I have a question. You said you found a bedding area. How do you know?

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2976682 - 10/11/12 05:46 AM Re: Rookie thoughts [Re: bowriter]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Cool hunt but stay in one spot
#2976705 - 10/11/12 06:23 AM Re: Rookie thoughts [Re: UTGrad]
bigtex
8 Point

Loc: Brush Creek

Water sources can be great spots if the conditions are right. [drought, hot weather, etc] most times deer get enough water from the food they eat though.
And yes, you need to pick a stand and stay there till you head back to the truck. One reason I usually hunt from a tree stand. If i'm on the ground I move around too much.

#2977520 - 10/11/12 04:50 PM Re: Rookie thoughts [Re: bigtex]
eweisner
8 Point

Loc: Portland, TN

The hunt for me was as much about familiarizing myself with a new area as it was actually taking a shot. I know scouting needs to be done prior to season but on minimal income very few trips have a single purpose without becoming frivolous. I try to squeeze in a hunting trip when I'm close to an area that is available.

This was one that I had my eye on for a while but could not justify the trip until this week. So it was a combined hunt / (gasp) scouting trip rolled into one.

I've only been hunting two years but I have been in the woods my whole life. We boys had the run of over 200 acres in TN and over 300 in NC growing up. In the summer my mom worked at a summer camp with 1500 acres. I got to know these areas very well. We always had in interest in wild game and tracking. But our dad was more fisherman than hunter.

The bedding area was a nice little grassy area that looked like a hollow in a thicket. The depressions indicated doe and fawn to me. The area around it was nearly impossible to get through on most sides but did have egress in several directions. I've jumped deer in such areas as a kid and when I was a Scout in the Army.

I also wanted to see how well I could stalk. All on all in my opinion not a bad day.

http://confessionsofanovicebowhunter.wordpress.com

#2977806 - 10/11/12 08:21 PM Re: Rookie thoughts [Re: eweisner]
LessIsLess
4 Point

Loc: Morgan County

great day indeed. happy to hear you had a good hunt. all that matters at the end of the day.
#2977875 - 10/11/12 08:49 PM Re: Rookie thoughts [Re: eweisner]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

Originally Posted By: eweisner

The bedding area was a nice little grassy area that looked like a hollow in a thicket. The depressions indicated doe and fawn to me. The area around it was nearly impossible to get through on most sides but did have egress in several directions. I've jumped deer in such areas as a kid and when I was a Scout in the Army.

I also wanted to see how well I could stalk. All on all in my opinion not a bad day.

Not bad there for just a 2nd yr hunter. Way to be atenttive.

#2978010 - 10/11/12 09:38 PM Re: Rookie thoughts [Re: Poleaxe]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

During the rut, find thickets between doe bedding areas! Stay away from the "open" woods.

#2978093 - 10/11/12 10:17 PM Re: Rookie thoughts [Re: W.Seay]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Sounds like a great time im the woods. You know much more than I knew in year #2.

Good post!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Savage Shooter, vixty, mjac, wireman, Thunderroost) and 83 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.