Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#2977159 - 10/11/12 12:35 PM Re: Stupid Dog [Re: OnceMoreIntoTheFray]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Originally Posted By: OnceMoreIntoTheFray
Not going to shoot the dog. I love dogs. Like I said its not his fault. The property is fenced. Im planning to run chicken wire on the bottom to keep him and the goats from crossing. I was only venting because I had a buck grunting down the hill below me and the dog was barking at it and spooked it off. Its funny though to watch him out in a field and those goats just follow his every move.

Good deal...yeah, I think we just got a little sidetracked and probably hijacked ya! Good luck with it

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#2977298 - 10/11/12 02:00 PM Re: Stupid Dog [Re: Coach]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Coach
 Originally Posted By: BSK
All I can say every time there is a thread like this is...don't shoot the dog. The dog is being a dog. Regardless, it's just a dog being a dog...If the owner won't do anything about it then take action in court or something but shooting the dog is not the answer...it will only make things worse. Maybe put some chicken wire on that section of fence or something?

And exactly what action could be taken in court and how would that solve the problem?

Well, honestly, BSK, this is above my pay grade. All I know in my heart is shooting the dog is wrong...morally and ethically. Has to be other avenues...maybe load the dog up in the truck and take him home a few times or something...My best friend Jerry totally disagrees with me on this also but killing a dog for being a dog doesn't work for me.

What if the dog has no intention of being caught? Youcan't carry a dog home that you can't catch.

What if he does want to be caught? Hypothetically, it could go either way...what's with the negative thinking? So, you are saying just shoot the dog?

No, I'm saying have regular problems with dogs chasing deer across my property, quite often on a daily basis. And these aren't strays, they are neighbors' dogs allowed to run free. These dogs have no intention of letting me get anywhere near them (they run when they see a person), but are back chasing every day. What is the landowner to do if the dogs' owners don't care? And by law, I cannot hunt deer that are I know are being chased by a dog, so these dogs can literally prevent me from hunting on my own property.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2977312 - 10/11/12 02:17 PM Re: Stupid Dog [Re: BSK]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

I know this thread has been hijacked to no end by now.But the way I see it is that if a dog owner that supposedly loves their dog so much,lets it run loose during deer season,when they know the dogs roams other folks land doesn't love their dog too much.I have a beagle that I love dearly,but I wouldn't for a min let that dog run loose during ML or Gun season where I live.I know there is a good chance of it getting shot. So if you let your dog run loose during ML or Gun season,then you don't care about your dog at all.Plain and Simple..I used to have problems with dogs day in day out every time I hunted..I no longer have that issue.

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#2977313 - 10/11/12 02:17 PM Re: Stupid Dog [Re: BSK]
Coach
16 Point

All I can say every time there is a thread like this is...don't shoot the dog. The dog is being a dog. Regardless, it's just a dog being a dog...If the owner won't do anything about it then take action in court or something but shooting the dog is not the answer...it will only make things worse. Maybe put some chicken wire on that section of fence or something?

And exactly what action could be taken in court and how would that solve the problem?

Well, honestly, BSK, this is above my pay grade. All I know in my heart is shooting the dog is wrong...morally and ethically. Has to be other avenues...maybe load the dog up in the truck and take him home a few times or something...My best friend Jerry totally disagrees with me on this also but killing a dog for being a dog doesn't work for me.

What if the dog has no intention of being caught? Youcan't carry a dog home that you can't catch.

What if he does want to be caught? Hypothetically, it could go either way...what's with the negative thinking? So, you are saying just shoot the dog?

No, I'm saying have regular problems with dogs chasing deer across my property, quite often on a daily basis. And these aren't strays, they are neighbors' dogs allowed to run free. These dogs have no intention of letting me get anywhere near them (they run when they see a person), but are back chasing every day. What is the landowner to do if the dogs' owners don't care? And by law, I cannot hunt deer that are I know are being chased by a dog, so these dogs can literally prevent me from hunting on my own property.

Wow, that is a problem BSK...not sure about TN but in MI I'd have the dog catcher out there in a heartbeat. Trespassing dogs and dogs chasing deer are both also illegal and the owner can be held responsible...so there must be some legal way to stop these dogs from ruining your leisure time

#2977318 - 10/11/12 02:19 PM Re: Stupid Dog [Re: cecil30-30]
Coach
16 Point

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
I know this thread has been hijacked to no end by now.But the way I see it is that if a dog owner that supposedly loves their dog so much,lets it run loose during deer season,when they know the dogs roams other folks land doesn't love their dog too much.I have a beagle that I love dearly,but I wouldn't for a min let that dog run loose during ML or Gun season where I live.I know there is a good chance of it getting shot. So if you let your dog run loose during ML or Gun season,then you don't care about your dog at all.Plain and Simple..I used to have problems with dogs day in day out every time I hunted..I no longer have that issue.

You'll have it again as soon as they get some more dogs...and again as soon as they get some more dogs. Shooting them is a bandaid, gotta somehow deal with the owners

#2977328 - 10/11/12 02:23 PM Re: Stupid Dog [Re: Coach]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Alot of rural counties dont have animal control. If we do in my county then its a new thing and I havent heard of it. That is generally not seen as worth the expense to the taxpayer when the citizens can just handle it on their own. I have actually been in a situation where I was threatened by a dog on my families farm and so I just shot it. The owners called police, I told police it was threatening and police told the owners "tough luck" and to keep their dogs off our place.

#2977354 - 10/11/12 02:34 PM Re: Stupid Dog [Re: smstone22]
HDUKE1986
4 Point

Loc: Hamilton

I had the same problem with a dog that was tending sheep not only the dog chasing deer but the sheep mowed down my food plot in about two days I was hot but I gave the guy a call and asked him to keep his dog up during hunting seasons cause accidents do happen and he basically laughed at me saying he doesn't care what his sheep and dogs do so the next week sad to say a hunting accident happened and the dog ran into a arrow and if you get questioned just make sure its on your property for sure and by all means the dog was aggressive and you had no choice
#2977396 - 10/11/12 02:58 PM Re: Stupid Dog [Re: HDUKE1986]
Coach
16 Point

Originally Posted By: HDUKE1986
I had the same problem with a dog that was tending sheep not only the dog chasing deer but the sheep mowed down my food plot in about two days I was hot but I gave the guy a call and asked him to keep his dog up during hunting seasons cause accidents do happen and he basically laughed at me saying he doesn't care what his sheep and dogs do so the next week sad to say a hunting accident happened and the dog ran into a arrow and if you get questioned just make sure its on your property for sure and by all means the dog was aggressive and you had no choice

Each of us have to find it in his heart to do what is best and what he can live with...I don't fault anyone for those decisions...I just personally have a hard time with it I guess

#2977412 - 10/11/12 03:07 PM Re: Stupid Dog [Re: HDUKE1986]
Savage
8 Point

Loc: Crossville, TN

Originally Posted By: HDUKE1986
he basically laughed at me saying he doesn't care what his sheep and dogs do so the next week sad to say a hunting accident happened and the dog ran into a arrow and if you get questioned just make sure its on your property for sure and by all means the dog was aggressive and you had no choice

Why didnt you kill all the sheep too?

#2977418 - 10/11/12 03:10 PM Re: Stupid Dog [Re: Coach]
BowGirl
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

My problem was to the point that last year on opening day of archery i saw a pack of 15 dogs (that i counted) come by me looking for a deer. They were not friendly either. We didnt hardly even see a deer there last year. No animal control in my county either. I know its not the dogs fault, but there is a leash law in TN. It aint right and I dont put up with it. SSS
Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
166 registered (762hunter, fins&fur, Deer slayer85, LanceS4803, Mudbone, landman, 12 invisible) and 174 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93264 Topics
1089023 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.144 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.