Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#2973908 - 10/09/12 07:05 AM Re: Ridge question [Re: baller_9]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

BirdDog123,

Eventually, deer get around to using all areas, including steep hillsides (which they primarily use by walking parallel to the topography), but just as you mentioned that walking up and down the hillsides kicks your butt, so it does for the deer. For survival purposes, deer will find the "path of least resistance" when crossing terrain--the path that burns the least body resources to use. For climbing up steep hillsides, the path of least resistance involves finding and using small points that descend down from the ridge-tops. These small points produce something like an entrance ramp onto a freeway.

For ten years I conducted a rub density and distribution study, where I recorded and measured where bucks make their rubs based on habitat and terrain, and I found that bucks concentrate their rubs, based on terrain, along ridge-tops, secondary points, and valleys where there is thick cover in the valleys (they ignored wide open valleys). To give you some idea about what I term "secondary" points, below is a map I used in one of the articles describing the research. I broke topographic points into "primary" points--those at the terminal end of ridge-lines--and "secondary" points--those that descend down from the sides of ridge-lines. For some unknown reason, bucks prefer to use secondary points far more than primary points.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2973924 - 10/09/12 07:26 AM Re: Ridge question [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
....below is a map I used in one of the articles describing the research.
Good stuff Bryan, thanks for sharing. Where can a hunter, like myself and others here, get a copy of this article/these articles?

Edited by Andy S. (10/09/12 07:28 AM)

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2973944 - 10/09/12 07:39 AM Re: Ridge question [Re: Andy S.]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

That is awesome BSK. I've looked at various blogs and websites describing topo scouting but throwing color on it makes it "Topo Scouting For Dummies".

I too am interested in where these articles are published.

#2974203 - 10/09/12 10:50 AM Re: Ridge question [Re: DntBrnDPig]
BirdDog123
4 Point

Loc: Tennesssee, US

Wow what an awesome resource!!! Congrats on conducting such a thorough study. I really appreciate your input.
#2974888 - 10/09/12 07:49 PM Re: Ridge question [Re: BirdDog123]
BSK
Non-Typical

Andy,

I don't know if any of those articles are available online. One was published in Deer and Deer Hunting quite a few years ago, another in Field and Stream, and several articles that touch on the research were in Quality Whitetails. I also discussed that research project (as well as others) in my talk at the QDMA's National Convention this year.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2974943 - 10/09/12 08:17 PM Re: Ridge question [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Thanks Bryan.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2975330 - 10/10/12 07:35 AM Re: Ridge question [Re: Andy S.]
Old Smokey
Button

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

This is such good information but I do have a question:
On the map you provide as an example I see the ridge that is partly covered by the "Topo Classification" legend. The primary point is indicated as the far left point and then there are two secondary points to the right of the primary.
Is there something that would indicate to someone looking at a topo of a ridge such as this of what the primary would be versus the secondarys? Other that seeing there is a little more 'steepness' on the point designated as the primary, they look deceptivly similar to each other.
Can this be determined from the topo or would boots on ground be required to confirm?
Thanks

#2975344 - 10/10/12 07:52 AM Re: Ridge question [Re: Old Smokey]
BSK
Non-Typical

Old Smokey,

Since this was a research project, I needed clearly stated "criteria" for what constituted a primary versus secondary point. For the project, I defined primary points as the terminal end of a ridgeline (the final endpoint of a ridge), or a sudden change in elevation of a ridgeline (a section where the ridgeline suddenly lowered in elevation). Seconday points were everything else.

Of course, sometimes that required a judgement call. "Is the piont on the left the end of the ridge or the point on the right the end of the ridge?" In those situations, I tried to choose the point that visually lined up with the direction the ridge was aligned as it ended.

#2975554 - 10/10/12 10:18 AM Re: Ridge question [Re: BSK]
Old Smokey
Button

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying, now I know what to start looking for.
This is a valuable tool for the hunter's pouch :-)

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
58 registered (Mudbone, cardia10, DaveB, medic, 53caddy, Steverino, 5 invisible) and 178 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91550 Topics
1070222 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.