Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2974894 - 10/09/12 07:51 PM Looking for an Illinois Outfitter
doubledownranch
8 Point

Loc: Old Hickory / Watertown

content Online
My father is retiring this week, he sold his business this month after 40 years. For his retirement, he wants me and him to go on a trophy deer hunt in Illinois. Can anyone suggest an outfitter or how I can go about finding the best possible hunt. I want to get him the biggest possible deer possible for his retirement, price isn't an issue, and the closer to Nashville the better.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Team Run 'N Gunners

πKa

#2975049 - 10/09/12 09:09 PM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: doubledownranch]
David1475
4 Point

Loc: Loudon County

Cornbelt Whitetail Outfitters !!

They have a website and Facebook
I will be there 1st week in November
Went last year and had a blast

#2975164 - 10/09/12 10:34 PM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: David1475]
Tomahawk
6 Point

Loc: east & west tn

Do not, I repeat, do not go with cornbelt whitetail outfitters. Hunted with them once, will not ever hunt with them again. This is the same outfitter that posted pictures of deer in Kansas and said it was on their farm in Illinois. I guess they didn't pay attention to the corn feeders in the background. You are not allowed to use feeders in Illinois. Most of their farms are spread out and are around 50-400 acres. Very hard to control/manage deer on 400 acres or less, you never know what the neighbors are killing.
Hardly seen any deer on my hunts with them and it was late season and bitter cold. If you have ever hunted Illinois late season then you know you should see around 30-100 deer a day when there's snow on the ground and cold. Just set up on a food source. They set me up on food sources but still only seen very little deer, primarily does. I did see one nice 3.5 yo 10 pointer that was busted up. Both g2's and g3's were missing and when I showed them the video, they were like "wow, can't believe you let him walk". I looked at them like they were crazy, why would I want a busted up young up and comer?
Hadley creek still has some openings. You could check with Buck Chasers but I believe they are full but you never know. I had a friend cancel today but I've already filled his spot with another friend. You never know who else might have cancelled. Good luck!

#2975302 - 10/10/12 07:05 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: Tomahawk]
doubledownranch
8 Point

content Online
Thanks guys, I'll look into those....

Team Run 'N Gunners

πKa

#2975320 - 10/10/12 07:20 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: doubledownranch]
turk870
6 Point

Loc: centerville

illinois wildlife had friend go there said it was great he didnt kill,said the acomadations were great he saw alot of big deer one pushing 200in,and they worked hard to get him on one
#2975365 - 10/10/12 08:02 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: David1475]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

Originally Posted By: David1475
Cornbelt Whitetail Outfitters !!

They have a website and Facebook
I will be there 1st week in November
Went last year and had a blast

x2 Great outfitter.

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#2975393 - 10/10/12 08:29 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: Tomahawk]
S.vitreum
Spike

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Tomahawk
Do not, I repeat, do not go with cornbelt whitetail outfitters. Hunted with them once, will not ever hunt with them again.

x2 BAD outfitter.

Very nice accommodations, crap food (food not cooked on site, it is catered and it stunk) , and the guides on my trip in 2009 sucked. I will never go back. I saw a total of 7 does in 3 days. The owner and guides hunt with you also - not good business in my opinion.

The owner did apologize to me after the hunt (while I was still there) and said he would contact me on coming back at a reduced rate or something. He failed to contact me.

The only good thing I have to say about his operation is that the bunkhouse/rooms are very nice. Not too impressive since I went there for the hunting...

#2975515 - 10/10/12 09:52 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: S.vitreum]
ROOKIE2323
8 Point

Loc: BURNS,TN

happy Online
Xtreme hunts in pike county is good, and good guys
#2975548 - 10/10/12 10:17 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: ROOKIE2323]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

Trophy Buck outfitters good operation great guys work very hard to get hunters on deer. Most good outfitters will be booked by now. I got a bud who guides on the Mo/IA border Cherry Tree Outfitters check him also you can buy tags over the counter may be too late yo get tags in IL.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#2975798 - 10/10/12 01:27 PM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: Roost 1]
doubledownranch
8 Point

content Online
Looks like I'm to late getting tags in IL. I'm going to look into MO now.

Team Run 'N Gunners

πKa

#2975835 - 10/10/12 01:53 PM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: doubledownranch]
Tomahawk
6 Point

Loc: east & west tn

Originally Posted By: doubledownranch
Looks like I'm to late getting tags in IL. I'm going to look into MO now.
You looking for bow tags for Illinois? If so you can buy them over the counter. The draw is over but there are plenty of surplus tags left over (always are). I've got a few friends that have to buy theirs after they get up there. Not sure about muzzle loader/ shotgun tags.

#2975846 - 10/10/12 02:06 PM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: doubledownranch]
Arch-N
4 Point

Loc: Chatt City

If it were me I would contact Premier Outfitters in W KY
I think he has 1 or 2 spots open for gun. He ran 80% success last year with buks over 140' ( gun ) tags are over the counter $190
I missed at 150' during archery and saw a 170 + at last light one night but could not see my pins to take a shot.
His name is Mark Clifford and his cell is 864-938-8699
13,000 acres to hunt on.

Please tell him Steve from Chattanooga sent you.

http://www.premieroutfitters.com/

#2976389 - 10/10/12 08:33 PM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: S.vitreum]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

Originally Posted By: S.vitreum
 Originally Posted By: Tomahawk
Do not, I repeat, do not go with cornbelt whitetail outfitters. Hunted with them once, will not ever hunt with them again.

x2 BAD outfitter.

Very nice accommodations, crap food (food not cooked on site, it is catered and it stunk) , and the guides on my trip in 2009 sucked. I will never go back. I saw a total of 7 does in 3 days. The owner and guides hunt with you also - not good business in my opinion.

The owner did apologize to me after the hunt (while I was still there) and said he would contact me on coming back at a reduced rate or something. He failed to contact me.

The only good thing I have to say about his operation is that the bunkhouse/rooms are very nice. Not too impressive since I went there for the hunting...

What dates did you go? What was the weather like? Which farm did you hunt? I have been on alot of the farms they hunt and can't imagine not seeing more deer than that.

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#2976779 - 10/11/12 07:44 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: fredfred]
S.vitreum
Spike

Loc: TN

Opening weekend of shotgun - 3 day hunt. IIRC, Weather was 45 morning and 60-65 afternoon. Sunny for three days. I think there were around 20 people that hunted with them that weekend and there were 6-8 nice bucks killed. I am not so upset with the deer sightings (I understand that it's called hunting for a reason), but more so for the lack of service I got for the money I spent (going from memory $1,500 - $2,000). The food sucked, my guide sucked, and the owner's response to the situation sucked. Can't make it any clearer than that, but I'll try:

They put me in a stand near some Amish farm the first two days (12 hours in the stand each day). Supposedly, they had access to this 80 acres during archery and the first two days of gun season only. I saw five deer total. The Amish must have shot 75-100 times in two days. It sounded like a war around me (I mentioned this to my guide. He said "yeah, the Amish shoot at everything that walks") ??? - should have been a hint to me and to him after day #1, that I was not going to see deer there. The last day, they took me to a stand they film out of. I sat in that stand from an hour+ before sunrise till dark. Saw two fawns at 5pm. I got the feeling (I do not know this for certain) that the stand I hunted on the last day got hunted by everyone in Illinois. The grass was all trampled beneath the stand and there were candy and cracker wrappers beneath.

My guides name was Chris and he could not hunt his way out of a paper bag. Now, I understand that some people hunt differently than I, but I was put in a stand before daylight and told not to come down until dark. I normally re-assess my situation at lunch if I'm not seeing anything. Not these guys. I got thirty-six hours of their stupidity. Was not impressed with the owner (Joe?) either. He apologized onsite, but failed to contact me like he promised.

Sorry to be long-winded, but given every chance, I tell everyone that asks about my VERY POOR experience with Cornbelt. The rooms are nice though \:\)

#2976905 - 10/11/12 09:23 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: S.vitreum]
golfpro
Spike

Loc: West Tn

Illinois Whitetails. Owners name is Darrell, and his wife Angel does all the cooking and I mean it is some kind of good. I feel like I put on 10 pounds everytime I go there. Darrell is a super nice guy and has some big deer for sure. He only takes a limited amount of people. Check his website out at illinoiswhitetails.net
#2976986 - 10/11/12 10:25 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: golfpro]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Golfpro - I met Daryl and Angel up in Knox county few years back, but I never booked a hunt with them. They were very nice and cordial people when I met them. We ate very well and rode around and looked at some nice bucks, this was in August. My question to you is what was your hunting experience like, what dates did you hunt and did you kill anything? No reason for asking other than I was just wondering.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2977056 - 10/11/12 11:13 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: Andy S.]
golfpro
Spike

Andy - We have hunted with them for the last two years. First year my brothers nephew wanted to go on a hunting trip for his high school graduation present. It was last minute and late season. When we went up it was a full moon and temps were in the high 30's snow was melting. So needless to say not much deer movement til right at dark. Saw several deer, my brother saw about a 135-140 first night about 75-100 yards away. Second year went up around November 1st-6th, Saw several good deer I passed on 130 9 point at 15 yards. No kills in camp but a couple of misses and my brother had a 175+ headed right at him chasing a doe and the neighbor son rattled and grunted and spooked the doe and the buck followed.

We are going back at the end of the month. They are two awesome people. They have gone far and away out of their way for us. It was more like hunting with a friend that has really big deer than with a guide.

#2977062 - 10/11/12 11:19 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: golfpro]
golfpro
Spike

I will also say that if you look at the kill photos from last year they are a little misleading, I know he had at least 10-12 people miss deer last year and 2 wounded deer. Not much an outfitter can do about that.
#2977065 - 10/11/12 11:22 AM Re: Looking for an Illinois Outfitter [Re: golfpro]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Sounds typical of the Daryl I met few years back. My gut feeling at the time was that he was a good guy. Thanks for the response.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
99 registered (Duck Dog 10, Bo Diddley, Rubberduck270, spottedbass, muddyboots, Poser, 11 invisible) and 163 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92923 Topics
1085781 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.199 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.