Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2972374 - 10/07/12 10:12 PM Who has had good luck making mock scrapes?
DMAG
4 Point

Loc: Bradley County, TN

I have been wanting to do this a while and one area I have to hunt is eat up with does, but I have only seen two small bucks on camera. During rut bruisers move in and out, but I wanted to see if this would have any positive impact on giving a buck a more specific place to check. While we are on the subject of bucks in a given area, have any of you guys ever put cams and corn out before season and see a buck on a pattern that you never get on camera. I have heard several people say they have bucks that are not on their trail camera, but every area I have hunted in early season has proven to me that, if I didnt get pics of them on camera before season chances are I won't see different bucks early season. I have always wondered if there is any truth to this. It may be a coincidence but If I do see a bachelor group early season, it has always been the a group of bucks that I have had on camera and no different. I have seen the most mature buck be the last to come out the majority of the time, but in these groups I have never seen a mature buck that I didnt have pictures of. I just always thought that this was a way to give the people that were telling me "He is here" hope to see a bruiser early season. Sorry for the million questions in one, but didnt want to have to separate posts. Thanks
#2973677 - 10/08/12 10:09 PM Re: Who has had good luck making mock scrapes? [Re: DMAG]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Lots of questions to answer:

I have a lot of succes making mock scrapes for trail-camera use (a mock scrape specifically made to bring bucks in front of a trail-camera). In fact, it is my most successful technique for catching really old bucks on camera--ones that are camera-shy at other locations.

However, I don't do much scrape hunting, so I can't really comment on using mock scrapes as a hunting technique.

As for making a mock scrape to draw a buck to a particular location, that depends on how far you hope to "draw" him from. When I make mock scrapes for camera work, it is usually to test the theory that bucks are moving through a particular location (some type of terrain or habitat bottleneck). I only make a mock scrape if no natural scrape exists. If bucks are moving through that immediate area, they will stop and investigate the mock scrape and I get their picture. If bucks aren't using that immediate area, the mock scrape is a dud. In essence, mock scrapes won't draw bucks from a distance. They will use it if they see it. Maybe it will pull them 25-30 yards off of their normal travel route, but probably not too further. Although that may be far enough for a bow-hunting set-up.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2973919 - 10/09/12 07:20 AM Re: Who has had good luck making mock scrapes? [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

DMAG,

To answer the second part of your question:

Bucks do not use all of their annual range all of the time. They often have seasonal sub-ranges, where they only use part of their annual range during any one season of the year. They may not even use all of their range during the rut, in that they may have one specific area of their range that is only used during the breeding season. For the hunter on a smaller piece of land (less than a 1,000 acres), these seasonal sub-ranges are important because a particular buck may only use your hunting property during one season of the year. This means that if you are running trail-cameras all year, that buck will suddenly appear at one time of year and then disappear during the rest of the year.

Not only is this commonly experienced by hunters, but these changing seasonal sub-ranges have been proven in studies where older bucks are equiped with GPS collars.

Monitoring properties with a high density of trail cameras for six months out of the year (August through January), I often find that which bucks are using a given property changes fairly dramatically over this time period. Two of the primary times for bucks to change their sub-ranges is the switch from summer to fall, when buck bachelor groups break up and bucks return to their individual fall ranges, and then again just before the rut starts. These two sudden switches in which bucks are using a property occur in early September and late October, respectively (for areas with a November rut). It is not uncommon for the identity of bucks using a property to change fairly dramatically at these two times.

Of course, all of that said, getting all bucks using a property on trail-camera is not easy. But getting the vast majority can be done. However, it takes much experience and practice. I've been experimenting with this process for over 13 years, and I'm still trying to perfect my technique.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2973961 - 10/09/12 07:58 AM Re: Who has had good luck making mock scrapes? [Re: BSK]
benellivol
4 Point

Loc: TN

BSK, I have nowhere near the experience you do on the sub range topic, but I've seen it first hand on one area I hunt. It's 700 acres of ridges and a few fields.

In the front of the property early season, I've gotten pictures of two bucks in the summer, consistently for 4 years. I consistently get 4 or 5 bucks from the very back of the property. Come late October - early November, I have consistently gotten those same 4 or 5 bucks that have shifted from the very back and neighboring properties to the front.

I have a good relationship with the surrounding land owners and hunters and always get together with them to try and pool info and determine where and what we are keeping.

I always pick up a newbie or two during the season too.

Anyways, just an observation.

#2974872 - 10/09/12 07:42 PM Re: Who has had good luck making mock scrapes? [Re: benellivol]
BSK
Non-Typical

Good observation benellivol. Now just imagine the hunter on 70 acres. Those summer-time bucks can completely vanish from the smaller property come fall. Or just the opposite, new bucks can suddenly appear "out of nowhere" as the seasons change. I have 500 acres I personally hunt on. over the last 13 years, only about a third of the bucks we have to hunt during the hunting season actually use the property during the summer. Two-thirds of the bucks that are around during hunting season either show up in early September--just as bachelor groups break up--or just before and during the rut. i have even seen very small properties that see a complete turnover of bucks from summer to hunting season, in that none of the bucks present during hunting season use the property during summer.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
128 registered (moondawg, oldmanelrod, OldFart, pressfit, MBG, TNGrizzly, 15 invisible) and 191 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
93960 Topics
1097617 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.106 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.