Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2972991 - 10/08/12 02:08 PM When would you hunt this stand?
meemphisbluesagain
4 Point

Loc: Memphis

I put up a lock on stand yesterday in a middle of a big cedar and sweet gum thicket that is about 30 acres. I only have permission to hunt this block of woods and it's really loud getting in and out. I don't get many big bucks on camera in this area until later in the season. It seems like the does bed in this thicket once the season starts and then I start seeing nicer bucks. Would you hunt it now or wait until later in the year closer to the rut. There is nothing in this block of woods to eat as far as mast goes, it's mostly a bedding area. This place is in southwest tn.
#2972996 - 10/08/12 02:14 PM Re: When would you hunt this stand? [Re: meemphisbluesagain]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

It makes sense that as deer become more pressured, as in gun season, they would seek out thicker cover. Now as to the does bedding there-could be.

To me, it would not matter what the does are doing if the bucks are coming to a secure area. I would wait until mzl and hunt it sparingly, as in opening day-then wait a week or so and hunt it again.

If it is noisey, I would probably label it a morning stand and not worry about the noise. I would wait until I could see to walk and go in as quietly as possible. But...noise or no noise, that to me is an obvious morning stand and could payoff way into the season if hunted sparingly. One thing I would not do under any circumstances is call or rattle. I would not even take a call with me.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2973000 - 10/08/12 02:19 PM Re: When would you hunt this stand? [Re: bowriter]
meemphisbluesagain
4 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: bowriter
It makes sense that as deer become more pressured, as in gun season, they would seek out thicker cover. Now as to the does bedding there-could be.

To me, it would not matter what the does are doing if the bucks are coming to a secure area. I would wait until mzl and hunt it sparingly, as in opening day-then wait a week or so and hunt it again.

If it is noisey, I would probably label it a morning stand and not worry about the noise. I would wait until I could see to walk and go in as quietly as possible. But...noise or no noise, that to me is an obvious morning stand and could payoff way into the season if hunted sparingly. One thing I would not do under any circumstances is call or rattle. I would not even take a call with me.

Good advice, the call thing is going to be hard!!

#2973003 - 10/08/12 02:20 PM Re: When would you hunt this stand? [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Yeah, later in the season, the deer will be seeking out thicker cover. You can also wait until it rains or after a rain when everything is wet to cover the sounds of entering the woods. I hunt a property that I only hunt when the ground is wet.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2973014 - 10/08/12 02:28 PM Re: When would you hunt this stand? [Re: Poser]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I never worry too mucha bout making noise. See, man is the only two legged aminal in the woods. Take a stout pole with you and make that third and fourth step every now and then.

Course, deer can't count so I don't know if that works or not.

About the call. Why let every deer in the thicket know where you are. If you hear other deer calling, then it might be okay but wait until you hear them \:\) Think about it. Why would a deer in that thicket to hide, make any vocal sound?

Stay natural my friend, stay natural.

#2973073 - 10/08/12 03:12 PM Re: When would you hunt this stand? [Re: bowriter]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

I would definitely wait til muzzleloader or rifle season to hunt it!!! I don't hunt my best spots til Thanksgiving week. I also do not call!!!!!

#2973284 - 10/08/12 05:32 PM Re: When would you hunt this stand? [Re: bowriter]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Old hickory Tn

content Online
[quote=bowriter]I never worry too mucha bout making noise. See, man is the only two legged aminal in the woods. Take a stout pole with you and make that third and fourth step every now and then.

Course, deer can't count so I don't know if that works or not.

Wow, never thought of that! I could definately see that working at some of the spots I hunt. Will try that!! Might never know if it works but if it makes me feel better I will be more confident.

#2973312 - 10/08/12 05:58 PM Re: When would you hunt this stand? [Re: Mudbone]
bassbug
Spike

Loc: northeast AL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa3rfvxpFxY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Check this out

#2973456 - 10/08/12 07:40 PM Re: When would you hunt this stand? [Re: bassbug]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I should sue G. Fred. he got that from me as a joke. next somebody will come out with a pole that sounds like a deer's foot.

The whole thing came from some campfire talk with Jim Barnhart at a traditional shoot in IN. I'm guessing this was 25-years ago.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
105 registered (huntinkev, TNGrizzly, bigtex, TNGunsmoke, Homebrewer, Woodchuck, 11 invisible) and 185 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96005 Topics
1124210 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.061 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.