Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2972380 - 10/07/12 10:24 PM Need Model 700 Safety Work Done in Mid TN
smyrnagc
6 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

I have a Remington Model 700 .270 that the safety is very stiff and hard to move from Safe to Fire. I did some internet research and one recommendation was the stock needed some shaving but when I take the stock off the safety is still the same.

Anybody have any knowledge on how to fix this? Or, live in the Murfreesboro/Smyrna/Lavergne area that could take a look at it?

Thanks

#2972390 - 10/07/12 10:46 PM Re: Need Model 700 Safety Work Done in Mid TN [Re: smyrnagc]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I can give you the number of a gunsmith that is well known nationally.... he is on the Manchester side of Murfreesboro....

Bill Scarpino

PM me for his number if interested.

#2972857 - 10/08/12 11:54 AM Re: Need Model 700 Safety Work Done in Mid TN [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Rackseeker
12 Point

Loc: Franklin County

happy Online
I assume you are in Smyrna? That should be an easy fix. If you were closer I would fix it for you. I going to guess and say it needs cleaning a little lube. You should be able to do it yourself.

#2972867 - 10/08/12 12:07 PM Re: Need Model 700 Safety Work Done in Mid TN [Re: Rackseeker]
smyrnagc
6 Point

Yes, I am in Smyrna. I looked at it and have done some work on my guns from time to time. I also sprayed some Remington gun oil into it and it didn't seem to make it any easier.

Can you tell me the process I would need to go through to clean and lube it (maybe a link to internet instructions)?

Thanks

#2972878 - 10/08/12 12:21 PM Re: Need Model 700 Safety Work Done in Mid TN [Re: smyrnagc]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

Spray some Remington action cleaner or gun scrubber in the assembly to get all the gunk out. \:\)

#2972895 - 10/08/12 12:34 PM Re: Need Model 700 Safety Work Done in Mid TN [Re: smyrnagc]
Rackseeker
12 Point

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: smyrnagc
Yes, I am in Smyrna. I looked at it and have done some work on my guns from time to time. I also sprayed some Remington gun oil into it and it didn't seem to make it any easier.

Can you tell me the process I would need to go through to clean and lube it (maybe a link to internet instructions)?

Thanks

First you need to take the barreled action away from the stock. Once you get the barreled action away from the stock you should be able to see if it rubbing anywhere. Shouldn't just spray oil in the trigger and safety assembly. Inspect the safety and see if it moves freely once its off the stock. If it does its rubbing on the stock somewhere. If not use compressed air to remove any lent, dirt, etc. On the side of the trigger where the safety lever attaches to the trigger, there is a indent ball, thats what your feeling when you move the safety from safety to fire. This little ball needs alittle grease on it not oil. This should fix the problem.

#2972901 - 10/08/12 12:40 PM Re: Need Model 700 Safety Work Done in Mid TN [Re: Rackseeker]
smyrnagc
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Rackseeker
 Originally Posted By: smyrnagc

Thanks

First you need to take the barreled action away from the stock. Once you get the barreled action away from the stock you should be able to see if it rubbing anywhere. Shouldn't just spray oil in the trigger and safety assembly. Inspect the safety and see if it moves freely once its off the stock. If it does its rubbing on the stock somewhere. If not use compressed air to remove any lent, dirt, etc. On the side of the trigger where the safety lever attaches to the trigger, there is a indent ball, thats what your feeling when you move the safety from safety to fire. This little ball needs alittle grease on it not oil. This should fix the problem.

OK...I had already been told to check the rubbing on the stock and that is not it. It is just as stiff on or off the stock. I will take the air compressor to it and see if that helps. How do I get the grease onto the indent ball?

#2972910 - 10/08/12 12:48 PM Re: Need Model 700 Safety Work Done in Mid TN [Re: smyrnagc]
Rackseeker
12 Point

happy Online
You can use a syringe with some light grease or take it apart. If you take it apart be careful not to drop the little ball. If you take the safety off go ahead and use some action cleaner to the trigger assemble then blow it out with air, then light oil. Then put the safety back on using some light grease on the indent ball.

#2972926 - 10/08/12 12:59 PM Re: Need Model 700 Safety Work Done in Mid TN [Re: Rackseeker]
Rackseeker
12 Point

happy Online
By the way I'm not a gunsmith. If your not sure take it to a gunsmith. I don't want to be responsible if you take my advise and for some untold reason the safety doesn't work and the rifle accidentally goes off.

#2972931 - 10/08/12 01:11 PM Re: Need Model 700 Safety Work Done in Mid TN [Re: Rackseeker]
smyrnagc
6 Point

Thanks guys...I'll give it a look this evening.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
69 registered (Roost 1, hinshm, southernhunter, cdw338, John3, Tracker, 7 invisible) and 113 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
91001 Topics
1063411 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.