Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2972799 - 10/08/12 11:01 AM Deer camp cooking weekend of 10-6
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Nothing real fancy this past weekend. I did a simple Venison stew Friday evening and we reheated it on Saturday night. I also made some camp Cherry cobbler. Everyone has their own recipes for these items, but here are mine:

Venison Camp Stew

2 lbs of venison stew meat
Quart or 2 of Venison stock (or Beef stock)
32 oz of crushed tomatoes
Onion and garlic
Vegetables -whatever is available (I used carrots, Okra, corn, broccoli and peas)
Potatoes
Salt and pepper
Chili power, Ancho chili and Paprika to taste

Slice the meat into small, thin pieces broan it in the pan. Remove
Brown the onions and garlic for a few minutes and then add the potatoes for a minute as well. Salt and Pepper
Pour in the stock and tomatoes.
Add your meat and vegetables.

Put the lid on it, place charcoals on top and go hunting. Come back, check that the meat is tender and then add the spices until the flavor is where you want it.

Deer camp cobbler:

Pre heat the dutch oven

Add two cans of pie feeling (I prefer to get some organic kind from Whole Foods as I can't stand that corn syrup taste, but that's just me).

Pour one box of white cake mix on top.

Place pieces of sliced butter on top of the mix.

Put the lid on and place coals on top. Check every 20 minutes or so. Depending on heat, might take anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes. I like a longer, slow heat.

When done, add Cinnamon to flavor. -real easy.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2972905 - 10/08/12 12:44 PM Re: Deer camp cooking weekend of 10-6 [Re: Poser]
rabbit hunter
14 Point

Loc: Beech Bluff, TN

happy Online
Yummy

#2972923 - 10/08/12 12:58 PM Re: Deer camp cooking weekend of 10-6 [Re: rabbit hunter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Oh, and don't forget the whiskey

#2973210 - 10/08/12 04:44 PM Re: Deer camp cooking weekend of 10-6 [Re: Poser]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

nice
#2973352 - 10/08/12 06:29 PM Re: Deer camp cooking weekend of 10-6 [Re: Inkstainz]
TrailWatcher
8 Point

Loc: Tn,Knox

Looks great!!!!! try adding a little Granola to the cobbler next time for a crunch.....

#2974029 - 10/09/12 08:47 AM Re: Deer camp cooking weekend of 10-6 [Re: TrailWatcher]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Nice!

#2974159 - 10/09/12 10:20 AM Re: Deer camp cooking weekend of 10-6 [Re: BamaProud]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

My mom made a cobbler recently in a similar fashion (minus the dutch oven), but used a friend's plums instead. I can't say that I've had plum cobbler many times, but it was great!

Have you ever tried cobbler with a more "home-made" deer camp feel, like persimmons or something? I've never cooked with any and always wondered if they were palatable for stuff like that.

#2974167 - 10/09/12 10:27 AM Re: Deer camp cooking weekend of 10-6 [Re: Crosshairy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
My mom made a cobbler recently in a similar fashion (minus the dutch oven), but used a friend's plums instead. I can't say that I've had plum cobbler many times, but it was great!

Have you ever tried cobbler with a more "home-made" deer camp feel, like persimmons or something? I've never cooked with any and always wondered if they were palatable for stuff like that.

I've never done the cobbler, though that is a great idea. I love persimmons and have done persimmon pie before, which is the same thing. If you want to get real homemade, go collect some white oaks, grind them into meal, sweeten them up with some honey and use that instead of cake mix.

#2974594 - 10/09/12 03:46 PM Re: Deer camp cooking weekend of 10-6 [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Poser

I've never done the cobbler, though that is a great idea. I love persimmons and have done persimmon pie before, which is the same thing. If you want to get real homemade, go collect some white oaks, grind them into meal, sweeten them up with some honey and use that instead of cake mix.

Good idea, Paleface.

I bit into a persimmon once, and it reminded me of the non-nut part inside a pecan. How does it end up after cooking?

#2974606 - 10/09/12 03:53 PM Re: Deer camp cooking weekend of 10-6 [Re: TAFKAP]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
 Originally Posted By: Poser

Good idea, Paleface.

I bit into a persimmon once, and it reminded me of the non-nut part inside a pecan. How does it end up after cooking?

You have to wait until after the first frost, otherwise they are too waxy.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
30 registered (Mike Belt, Rockhound, dralarms, bull, ruger7mag, buckaroo, 4 invisible) and 129 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93200 Topics
1089420 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.135 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.