Topic Options
#2972712 - 10/08/12 09:54 AM Hunter Harassment on public lands
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
http://www.parkrapidsenterprise.com/event/article/id/34398/

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2972776 - 10/08/12 10:39 AM Re: Hunter Harassment on public lands [Re: Poser]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

There was a spot on public land we hunted for years on with no competition. It didn't really look like a good spot, so we pretty much had it to our own. We took a good family friend in there a couple of times. Next thing we know, there's someone there every time we tried it. We had to abandon the spot to avoid this type of confrontation. Admittedly, I felt like someone took "our spot" even though it wasn't on private property.

#2972792 - 10/08/12 10:53 AM Re: Hunter Harassment on public lands [Re: BigD_625]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Heck I have been harassed on my PRIVATE land for years by trespassers.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#2972794 - 10/08/12 10:56 AM Re: Hunter Harassment on public lands [Re: MUP]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

And there's not much you can do to retaliate. It's like a football game. They always see the second guy.

Originally Posted By: MUP
Heck I have been harassed on my PRIVATE land for years by trespassers.

#2972805 - 10/08/12 11:07 AM Re: Hunter Harassment on public lands [Re: BigD_625]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

i learned the hard way to keep ur mouth shut about ur public land spots.
#2972811 - 10/08/12 11:12 AM Re: Hunter Harassment on public lands [Re: nate17]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: nate17
i learned the hard way to keep ur mouth shut about ur public land spots.

Yup.....

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2972947 - 10/08/12 01:30 PM Re: Hunter Harassment on public lands [Re: Poser]
m411b
6 Point

Loc: .

What I hate is when you get to your stand location before anyone else is in the woods, and you sit there for hours. Then someone else shows up, doesn't see you but knows you're there, and sets up facing you 200yds away!

I was on 33 Sat. when some FNG showed up and got in a tree 250ft from the trucks. Between myself and the trucks. I saw him the whole time, and used bino's to keep an eye on him. He saw a deer, and started unloading his pump shotgun. The first shot was a loud "BOOM", the second, third, and fourth were all "CRACK". You know what that means right? The third shot hit my tree 10 or 12 inches behind my chest!!! Well, he missed the deer with all 4 shots, and the deer ended up right behind my tree scared as all get out.

Needless to say, I was pretty unhappy, to says the least. I wanted to get down, and go speak my mind. But I had multiple deer right in front of me, and didn't want to completely ruin my hunt, or get into a shoot out in the woods with another hunter. I didn't do anything about it. Basically because I have learned the hard way that in reality there is nothing the GW is going to do about it. They never do anything!

Last year, I had a similar event happen. I was in a tree in 34, and another hunter was in a tree 300yds to my right. About an hour before dark, a young buck, 2 doe, and 2 fawn stepped out right in front of me about 150yds. To my left about 20yds, 2 doe came up behind me. I was watching the deer in front of me with my bino's, and all in a sudden the guy 300yds to my right shot. I literally watched his bullet fly through the air and land right on the other side of the young buck in front of me.

I mean, really? The dude tried to shoot a buck 300yds away with a friggin muzzle loader on PUBLIC land! Right in front of me! Later he claimed he didn't know I was there. Which was BS because when I got there, I walked all way to where the deer came out in front of me, and the guy waved to me! The GW did nothing...........

I know this is more in the line of idiot hunters that don't have consideration for other hunters, or that don't belong in the woods in the first place, and not harassment. But it goes along with the whole public land thing.

As far as hunter harassment. It's something that is VERY hard to prove no matter the circumstances. One would have to spend a large amount of time in the woods to catch the harassers rather than spending that time in the woods actually hunting.

#2973144 - 10/08/12 04:05 PM Re: Hunter Harassment on public lands [Re: BigD_625]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Originally Posted By: BigD_625
There was a spot on public land we hunted for years on with no competition. It didn't really look like a good spot, so we pretty much had it to our own. We took a good family friend in there a couple of times. Next thing we know, there's someone there every time we tried it. We had to abandon the spot to avoid this type of confrontation. Admittedly, I felt like someone took "our spot" even though it wasn't on private property.

I have one of those spots but I know someday a new crowd will come in and that will be the end my Buddies and I little piece of paradise. Never invite anyone outside the circle.

#2973165 - 10/08/12 04:19 PM Re: Hunter Harassment on public lands [Re: WRbowhunter]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Yeah...I hate telling my hunting stories lately, because they all involve an almost-unknown piece of public land that I've only seen one person on EVER. It's got such limited access that I have to keep it to myself 100%, or I'll be sorry. My dad is the only person I've ever brought there to hunt.

It's a bit frustrating, because I like to be able to share stories with folks. Instead, I feel like I work for the KGB.

At the end of the day, I spent a LOT of effort to find places like that, so it's worthwhile to keep it under my hat and enjoy it while I can.

#2973181 - 10/08/12 04:29 PM Re: Hunter Harassment on public lands [Re: Crosshairy]
HenryCohunter
4 Point

Loc: Cottage Grove TN/Horn Lake MS

Yeah we had a honey hole down in the white river bottoms for years. Only way in was across a cypress break that stayed about 2 foot deep in water unless the river was way up. Five of us knew the way in .. One of us carried another "good buddy" down there and the next year there were 20 people trying to hunt it. Never again . I find a spot I don't say a word to anyone but my kid.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
111 registered (redheadshooter, Jacoprint, BOGS615, Puddleduck, bowfisher87, Buzzard, 14 invisible) and 151 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93104 Topics
1088105 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.096 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.