Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2972670 - 10/08/12 09:26 AM I'm Perplexed
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Since opening morning I have not seen the first deer from the stand and I have hunted spots that continually produce deer sightings, and have not hunted the same stand twice. Maybe it is just bad luck, and I am in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I have never experienced low deer activity like this. Most of my stands are in very thick areas right off bedding areas with acorns. In years past I have always seen deer on almost every sit, no matter what time of the week or month, but not this year.
I have heard some on here speak of an October lull and I have seen mention on here lately of this and that some feel it is early this year. Ironically today at the doctor’s office, while in the waiting room I picked up a copy of deer and deer hunting, guess what the cover story was…. how to beat the October lull. So why not I thought lets see what they say. #1 way to beat it according to them; you guessed it, hunt acorns especially those close to bedding areas. The reason they listed this as #1. Deer are transitioning from browse and crops to acorns. Well not in my neck of the woods.
Normally I would not mention it, and write it off as being due to me not having the time to be in the woods like I used to, but this year it seems that this is happening to a lot of folks. At least I seem to be seeing a lot more posts with folks saying they are not seeing deer. I hunt mainly public land, but that has not stopped me from seeing and shooting deer in the past 5 years, so why should it now. I am not sure I buy into the October lull theory, at least not for the whole state of TN.
However, I am perplexed as to where all the deer are and wanted to see what others on here feel is going on. Again, it seems that there are more posts than usual claiming no deer sightings, so I wanted to see what others thought.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#2972688 - 10/08/12 09:34 AM Re: I'm Perplexed [Re: Bone Collector]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I never heard of an Oct. lul until I got on here, I still don't buy it.

The reason you are nto seeing deer is simple. They are not there.

The number one rule in deer hunting is hunt where the deer are.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2972706 - 10/08/12 09:48 AM Re: I'm Perplexed [Re: bowriter]
Kingston
8 Point

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns

If there are heavy acorns[mast crop] in your area, the deer don't really have to move much right now.

#2972761 - 10/08/12 10:24 AM Re: I'm Perplexed [Re: Kingston]
pastorbmp
12 Point

Loc: Wartburg,TN

Find Pursuit Hunter's blog/website. Read his articles on Dominant Oaks. I think you will find some help there. He put in words the method I have been using for bowhunting for years. The October Lull is, imo, when deer get their winter coats - yet you still have warm days in October. It stifles daytime deer movement to some degree.

Edited by pastorbmp (10/08/12 10:26 AM)

1Ti 1:15: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

#2972770 - 10/08/12 10:32 AM Re: I'm Perplexed [Re: pastorbmp]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
I've seen deer only on the opening day this season, and none since. But, I've only hunted twice since then, and then where the property has been busted up by trespassers, so didn't figure to see much, if any.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#2972774 - 10/08/12 10:37 AM Re: I'm Perplexed [Re: pastorbmp]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
I never heard of an Oct. lul until I got on here, I still don't buy it.

The reason you are nto seeing deer is simple. They are not there.

The number one rule in deer hunting is hunt where the deer are.

I don't think i buy the October lull either and like you I had not heard of it until i got on here.

as for the deer not being there, there are tracks in the mud on the trails going in and out of the area and droppings here and there. i have seen them while there. The areas are usually heavily used by deer, but this year that is not happening while i am in the stand.

Again it may be to lack of time available to hunt.

Originally Posted By: pastorbmp
Find Pursuit Hunter's blog/website. Read his articles on Dominant Oaks. I think you will find some help there. He put in words the method I have been using for bowhunting for years. The October Lull is, imo, when deer get their winter coats - yet you still have warm days in October. It stifles daytime deer movement to some degree.

I have read PH's article on dominant trees and found a few since then, but not this year. when I scouted in August I did not see any acorns on the trees (with binos). Now it sounds like a hail storm in some areas. However this is not unusual for the areas i hunt. I do not have a lot of time after hunting to scout, with family duties, so it limits what i can do, because i have to choose, scout or hunt......

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#2972979 - 10/08/12 02:00 PM Re: I'm Perplexed [Re: Bone Collector]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I too have not found a magnet tree this year. Have no explanation for that.

My deer are doing just exactly what they were doing in August. No explanation for that, either.

Bachelor groups broke up early. No explanation for that.

Lots of tracks, no as in not any droppings, rubs or scrapes. Can't expain that.

See deer every time I have gone but once. Had shots all but three times. Hit all of them just about perfect. No explanation for that, either.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2972984 - 10/08/12 02:06 PM Re: I'm Perplexed [Re: bowriter]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

I have just hunted my place for the first time yesterday morning, no Lull, saw 26 during the morning, but there was a Youth gun hunt
going on by me that could have pressured more on me. But friends down the road are seeing large numbers also, and others across the 45 minutes away are looking at low numbers, but several large bucks
earlier than normal

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
71 registered (huntintn, rem270, eandadad, TW, AlabamaSwamper, mountain man 71, 3 invisible) and 117 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95881 Topics
1122768 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.