Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2971773 - 10/07/12 12:19 PM BSK or anyone else who knows a lot about scrapes
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

This morning I decided to hunt were my big trail cam buck was till 8:00 then scout, it's a salt lick so I didn't expect to see much. As expected, I didin't see anything in stand so I climbed out and looked around. As soon as I got to a whiteoak, maybe 60 yards from the lick, I found a nice trail with his tracks fresh in it. I followed it around the ridge and decided it looked good enough. Then I walked back up the middle of the ridge and found a large scrape in a patch of small poplar trees. It didn't have a licking branch though, what does that mean? Does it matter? There was a 2" tree demolshed about 5 yards away and a little dime size rub.

I started too pee in it but looked up and saw a doe trot off. I knew were she went so I waited a bit then followed. When I got to were she was standing I noticed she had been bedded by a tree with another deer. I ended up stalking them in a patch of kudzu. Unfortunately I couldn't get any closer and can't shoot good enough at 40 so I just let em be and moved my stand 20 yards from the scrape and trail.

May try an evening hunt and putting a cam over the scrape today.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#2971877 - 10/07/12 02:56 PM Re: BSK or anyone else who knows a lot about scrapes [Re: Master Chief]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Usually, in my humble opinion and experience, a buck will visit a scrape about every three days or so.

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#2971900 - 10/07/12 03:26 PM Re: BSK or anyone else who knows a lot about scrapes [Re: Coach]
double browtine
8 Point

Loc: north mid tn

Sounds like you moved to the right spot.
#2971986 - 10/07/12 05:21 PM Re: BSK or anyone else who knows a lot about scrapes [Re: double browtine]
yamaha200
4 Point

Loc: seymour

How did you know they were his tracks ?
#2972024 - 10/07/12 06:37 PM Re: BSK or anyone else who knows a lot about scrapes [Re: yamaha200]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Originally Posted By: yamaha200

Good question but was your original question?

If it was me, I would forget I ever saw the scrape other than to pee in it now and then and hunt the trail where you saw "his" tracks. The scrape means little in terms of hunting.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2972036 - 10/07/12 06:44 PM Re: BSK or anyone else who knows a lot about scrapes [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Yeah, what BW said. Individual scrapes are super hit miss (more on the "miss" for daytime hunting). Now, if you can find a primary scrape area, you have a midday gold mine for the pre rut, but, primary scrape areas don't happen everywhere. I was not able to find one last season for example. In 2011, I stumbled upon one: A huge community scrape with another ~20 scrapes in the surrounding vicinity. I hunted it immediately and encountered 3 mature bucks in one day on public land.

Note:

1. Do not confuse turkey scratchings with scrapes.
2. Don't get overly excited about early season scrapes.
3. Try to use the scrapes more to understand the way the bucks are using the terrain rather than see them in isolation. They can happen anywhere and everywhere, but sometimes, they will give you important information about the travel corridors.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2972067 - 10/07/12 07:12 PM Re: BSK or anyone else who knows a lot about scrapes [Re: Poser]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

I disagree on hunting the scrapes with BW and Poser...everyone has their ideas I guess and that's what makes this site a goodun...

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#2972114 - 10/07/12 07:50 PM Re: BSK or anyone else who knows a lot about scrapes [Re: Master Chief]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
This morning I decided to hunt were my big trail cam buck was till 8:00 then scout, it's a salt lick so I didn't expect to see much. As expected, I didin't see anything in stand so I climbed out and looked around. As soon as I got to a whiteoak, maybe 60 yards from the lick, I found a nice trail with his tracks fresh in it. I followed it around the ridge and decided it looked good enough. Then I walked back up the middle of the ridge and found a large scrape in a patch of small poplar trees. It didn't have a licking branch though, what does that mean? Does it matter? There was a 2" tree demolshed about 5 yards away and a little dime size rub.

I started too pee in it but looked up and saw a doe trot off. I knew were she went so I waited a bit then followed. When I got to were she was standing I noticed she had been bedded by a tree with another deer. I ended up stalking them in a patch of kudzu. Unfortunately I couldn't get any closer and can't shoot good enough at 40 so I just let em be and moved my stand 20 yards from the scrape and trail.

May try an evening hunt and putting a cam over the scrape today.

I have never been one to stick to scrapes in general but have learned a few things.
In certain years i have this one scrape location beneath a beech and it is a primary and i have killed a best ever buck near it.
while tracking that same buck i came across another set of beech trees with about 7 of them concentrated close together and noticed at least 7 or 8 large scrapes within that 20 yard area. I made note of it and the next year i placed my son over that scrape for two days in a row and got busted by several deer. Finally on the third attempt at nearly 11 am in the morning he shot a nice 8 pt coming in to it right at the eve of breeding phase. Not every scrape means something important, not every scrape means it is not the one that is............... \:\)

#2972115 - 10/07/12 07:51 PM Re: BSK or anyone else who knows a lot about scrapes [Re: bowriter]
Master Chief
10 Point

Loc: Henderson County

Originally Posted By: bowriter
 Originally Posted By: yamaha200

Good question but was your original question?

If it was me, I would forget I ever saw the scrape other than to pee in it now and then and hunt the trail where you saw "his" tracks. The scrape means little in terms of hunting.

yamaha-Obviously I can't tell for 100% sure but I'm pretty sure it is.. if not then oh well, theres a different big buck in there now.

BW & Poser-thanks for the advice, I set it up to focus on the trail, the poplar trees around the scrape are too thick for a bow shot anyways

Hunted it this evening and saw one walk up the adjacent ridge, couldn't tell what it was. I'll hunt it again Wed barring a change in wind prediction. After that I'll have to wait till the 20-23

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#2973646 - 10/08/12 09:38 PM Re: BSK or anyone else who knows a lot about scrapes [Re: Master Chief]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

As Poser mentioned, turkey scratching can closely mimic a scrape. Most scrapes will have either an overhanging limb or brushy shrub tye plant directly adjacent (I've seen bucks make scrapes next to tiny cedar trees or even patches of grape-vine that they were using for scent-marking instead of an overhanging branch).

Hunting scrapes can be really hit and miss. Although as Poser mentioned (primary scrape) and Boone 58 alluded to ("traditional" scrapes--scrapes that show up in the same spot year after year), hunting some scrapes can be fairly productive. Personally, I like scrape concentrations--an area of 25-30 yards with 5-8+ fresh scrapes scattered around.

And contrary to popular belief, the size of a deer's track cannot be used to tell the size, age, or sex of the deer. Some small/young does just have big hooves, and some older bucks do not.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
18 registered (BamaProud, junebugwapiti, SharpEyeGirl, NoNtYpiCaL1, Fence Post, hinshm, 1 invisible) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94109 Topics
1099513 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.134 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.