Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2971513 - 10/07/12 05:12 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: JSPAL270]
BrokenArrow
Spike

Loc: Columbia ,TN.

Hunting on the Yanahli WMA is a learning experiance. Bowriter gave some good advice on PHL. I am still trying to get a handle on hunting Yanahli but seems the smaller woodlots are looking better than the larger tracks as far as fresh sign.got a book bowriter wrote on the shelf. Reading his post has got me thinking about reading it again...lol.

Edited by BrokenArrow (10/07/12 05:15 AM)

#2971551 - 10/07/12 07:47 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
DEERDOWN
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee,USA

i have killed many deer on public land fed eight for the last four years never have hunted private land but there is no room for even a little sloppiness on tva land. its free and no trails people drive, walk and do what they want to
#2971582 - 10/07/12 08:14 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: DEERDOWN]
Mag
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville

Since the Gallatin Steam Plant has been ruined I've turned to Cheatham WMA so notching much of this year off to a learning year. We've been hunting an area that looks really great so far but we haven't taken any yet. Seeing a few here and there though. We will get a chance I'm sure.
#2971747 - 10/07/12 11:20 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: Mag]
7mminatree
6 Point

Loc: Unicoi Tn.

Sixtyone bucks in Cherokee WMA since 1990. In probably the lowest deer density in the state. Yep, I have to walk a lot, No, Cherokee WMA is not what's considerd giant buck country. Yep, you can hunt for days and never see a deer. But you gotta have faith and believe in your tactics. And when you kill a good "mountain buck" you know you hunted what I think are the hardest buck's in the state. Some will disagree with me, but I have and still do hunt farm deer but the challenge just isn't the same. Of course a lot depends on whats availible to hunt locally. And you guys in unit L are blessed with a lot of deer for sure. When I was younger, I used to complain about hunting around here in the mountains.Now that I'm getting older I worry that my physical abillities will limit my time on the mountain.
#2971821 - 10/07/12 01:46 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
JSPAL270
6 Point

Loc: BLOUNT CO

I hope to see cheatham rebound. I don't know if it was ehd or just over hunting but there are still plenty of deer there.
#2971943 - 10/07/12 04:21 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: 7mminatree]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: 7mminatree
Sixtyone bucks in Cherokee WMA since 1990. In probably the lowest deer density in the state. Yep, I have to walk a lot, No, Cherokee WMA is not what's considerd giant buck country.

That's impressive, man.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2971964 - 10/07/12 04:54 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

This may be just me, but it seems that public land is getting a lot more traffif then it was just 4 or 5 years ago. Could be coincidence, but WMAs that use to have 4 or 5 vehicles on Saturdays now often have 20-25 vehicles. I suspect that this is a symtom of the economy and people not being able to afford leases. Any similar observations out there?

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Another note on public ground. There are things you can do to increase your odds but the number one thing is to wear out boot leather and never, ever think that the deeper in the woods you go, the better your chances. That is usually the worst mistake you can make.

And this... BW, this is a STUPID statement on your part. The worst mistakes you make make? Are you kidding me? Ok, its a bell curve: The majority of the hunters go a few hundred yards to a a half a mile in from where they can park. This is for a variety of reasons but mostly because one of the following:

1. They are carrying a hunk of metal on their back
2. They are over 50 and 50 lbs over weight
3. They don't want to drag a deer any further than that
4. They are afraid of getting lost
5. All or some combination of the above

Now, a small number of hunters will go very far in and a small number will hunt very close to the roads and parking areas. Of course deer will quickly figure out where the gaps in the pressure are and these gaps certainly do exists in overlooked areas close to roads. Gaps in pressure also exists in hard to access areas. Depending on the time time of year, the best place to hunt may be a specific terrain feature. What if a certain terrain feature happens to be a 1.5 mile walk? Do you not hunt the best spot because it is too far back in favor a spot 30 feet from your truck?

You hunt where the deer are. Period. Yes, that could be 30 feet from your truck, but it might be 3 miles, too. In the end, you are after the same goal as the hunter going far on foot. Yeah sure, we all know that you are on this "I'm so lazy and I am still successful at hunting" phase, but that is terrible advice. What could you possibly be doing that is so bad as to be "The worst thing you could do" by walking deep into the deer woods?

Sure, I hunt close to the truck sometimes. In fact, I have a spot on public land that is not 5 minutes from my truck and, anytime there is a NW wind, I can see deer there guaranteed. No one else hunts it. It is overlooked and there are no trees that will work for conventional stands. However, it is not very aesthetic. Its ugly and you have to listen to cars drive by all day.

I also have some really excellent spots that are over a mile walk where you have to navigate a system of beaver dams to get there. A good spot is a good spot regardless of how far you have to walk to get there. The best advice is to hunt the best spots. You know.... where the deer are and where other hunters are not. There is something to be said for feeling remote: The aesthetic of being a man alone in the middle of the woods (You know, that whole "hunting" thing). Its nice to put in some extra effort and have an entire stretch of the woods to yourself, no cars, no doors slamming, no parking lot chatter.

Another thing is, some WMAs have singular access points. If you hunt next to your vehicle, you will have hunters walking right by you all morning because that is the only way in and out. What do you do in those cases? You hunt next to your truck there and you are in for a terribly un aesthetic hunt. Isn't that what its all about? Enjoying the hunt? I have not interest in watching a camo parade to and from the parking lot.

All and all, if you add up the experience of public land hunters on this forum, you will find that they tend hunt further in than most hunters, OR, they go to great trouble to figure out how to get around other hunters. They may only hunt 50 yards from the road, but they may have to park their truck a 3 quarters of a mile away to hide their spot or because there is no parking there. None of these aspects are factored into your advice, which is terrible advice and I suspect that you are just trying to demonstrate (again) how lazy you are in your hunting (as if we needed another reminder). If that's what makes it enjoyable for you, by all means, but, not good advice for public land hunting

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2972060 - 10/07/12 07:02 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Poser]
Dolan82
4 Point

Loc: Hermitage. Tn

Well put poser. I have only ever hunted public land. Growing up as a kid I always begged my dad to join a lease but he always told me if he was going to pay that much money to hunt he would just go buy a cow. Looking back on it now it has more than likely made me a better hunter because I learned to find those out of the way places. And it makes you feel like you really earned the deer you killed. I would hunt private land but I would never pay to hunt someone's property or ever pay to go on a guided deer hunt. That's just me.

#2972148 - 10/07/12 08:13 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

There was a guy at the Co-op last week talking about hunting public ground like it was some sort of handicap, like he should get a Dewy button for killing a deer on public ground.

Booshway!

Up until I got sick and needed the convenience of hunting close to home with easy access, I hunted a lot of public ground even thought I had a ton of private land to hunt. I killed a lot of deer. I killed as many or more than I did on private land.

Until I began to travel and hunt so much, I hunted more WMA than I did the land I had leased, killed more deer. I had one tree on Cheatham WMA, that if memory serves, we killed 38 deer out of and another I know I killed eight out of in six years.

What is this BS about hunting PG such a bad deal? You just have to know how to hunt PG.

Bowriter wasn't that tree beside a gravel road that you watched the cars drive by, I remember reading the story you wrote about
that one

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#2972166 - 10/07/12 08:27 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Poser]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Originally Posted By: Poser
This may be just me, but it seems that public land is getting a lot more traffif then it was just 4 or 5 years ago. Could be coincidence, but WMAs that use to have 4 or 5 vehicles on Saturdays now often have 20-25 vehicles. I suspect that this is a symtom of the economy and people not being able to afford leases. Any similar observations out there?

Another note on public ground. There are things you can do to increase your odds but the number one thing is to wear out boot leather and never, ever think that the deeper in the woods you go, the better your chances. That is usually the worst mistake you can make.

And this... BW, this is a STUPID statement on your part. The worst mistakes you make make? Are you kidding me? Ok, its a bell curve: The majority of the hunters go a few hundred yards to a a half a mile in from where they can park. This is for a variety of reasons but mostly because one of the following:

1. They are carrying a hunk of metal on their back
2. They are over 50 and 50 lbs over weight
3. They don't want to drag a deer any further than that
4. They are afraid of getting lost
5. All or some combination of the above

Now, a small number of hunters will go very far in and a small number will hunt very close to the roads and parking areas. Of course deer will quickly figure out where the gaps in the pressure are and these gaps certainly do exists in overlooked areas close to roads. Gaps in pressure also exists in hard to access areas. Depending on the time time of year, the best place to hunt may be a specific terrain feature. What if a certain terrain feature happens to be a 1.5 mile walk? Do you not hunt the best spot because it is too far back in favor a spot 30 feet from your truck?

You hunt where the deer are. Period. Yes, that could be 30 feet from your truck, but it might be 3 miles, too. In the end, you are after the same goal as the hunter going far on foot. Yeah sure, we all know that you are on this "I'm so lazy and I am still successful at hunting" phase, but that is terrible advice. What could you possibly be doing that is so bad as to be "The worst thing you could do" by walking deep into the deer woods?

Sure, I hunt close to the truck sometimes. In fact, I have a spot on public land that is not 5 minutes from my truck and, anytime there is a NW wind, I can see deer there guaranteed. No one else hunts it. It is overlooked and there are no trees that will work for conventional stands. However, it is not very aesthetic. Its ugly and you have to listen to cars drive by all day.

I also have some really excellent spots that are over a mile walk where you have to navigate a system of beaver dams to get there. A good spot is a good spot regardless of how far you have to walk to get there. The best advice is to hunt the best spots. You know.... where the deer are and where other hunters are not. There is something to be said for feeling remote: The aesthetic of being a man alone in the middle of the woods (You know, that whole "hunting" thing). Its nice to put in some extra effort and have an entire stretch of the woods to yourself, no cars, no doors slamming, no parking lot chatter.

Another thing is, some WMAs have singular access points. If you hunt next to your vehicle, you will have hunters walking right by you all morning because that is the only way in and out. What do you do in those cases? You hunt next to your truck there and you are in for a terribly un aesthetic hunt. Isn't that what its all about? Enjoying the hunt? I have not interest in watching a camo parade to and from the parking lot.

All and all, if you add up the experience of public land hunters on this forum, you will find that they tend hunt further in than most hunters, OR, they go to great trouble to figure out how to get around other hunters. They may only hunt 50 yards from the road, but they may have to park their truck a 3 quarters of a mile away to hide their spot or because there is no parking there. None of these aspects are factored into your advice, which is terrible advice and I suspect that you are just trying to demonstrate (again) how lazy you are in your hunting (as if we needed another reminder). If that's what makes it enjoyable for you, by all means, but, not good advice for public land hunting

I think a lot of the traffic is coming from the Media, Outdoor stories, Hunting Shows, even sites like this....The same reason land sales got Hot in Illinois and Kentucky the word gets put out there everywere, people who have never heard of a Refuge or Presidents Island(I never heard of it until I got on here) Hunters want to show their Kills off and the word gets out

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (WillB25, wolfpack, JWhite1301) and 77 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.