Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2971026 - 10/06/12 02:02 PM Public Ground
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

There was a guy at the Co-op last week talking about hunting public ground like it was some sort of handicap, like he should get a Dewy button for killing a deer on public ground.

Booshway!

Up until I got sick and needed the convenience of hunting close to home with easy access, I hunted a lot of public ground even thought I had a ton of private land to hunt. I killed a lot of deer. I killed as many or more than I did on private land.

Until I began to travel and hunt so much, I hunted more WMA than I did the land I had leased, killed more deer. I had one tree on Cheatham WMA, that if memory serves, we killed 38 deer out of and another I know I killed eight out of in six years.

What is this BS about hunting PG such a bad deal? You just have to know how to hunt PG.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2971041 - 10/06/12 02:15 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

the last sentence you said, I think that nailed it. I have basically learned to hunt on public land and as you know am still learning. When I get onto private land that I can hunt then it's more relaxed because the animals aren't on edge so much.

I killed my first deer ever on public land during gun season... no I don't want a Dewy button, I got my set of antlers on the wall and that's all I need.

...since last deer season

#2971045 - 10/06/12 02:22 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: catman529]
Kevin
8 Point

Loc: Jackson, TN

I have more access to private ground this year than ever before and I'm still going to public ground this afternoon. I love it! It's new places and new Challenges. I'm still looking for my first kill on public land, although I have passed on ALOT of deer on it. And let one walk by right to my wife for her first kill.

A bad day fishing is better than a good day of work.

Roll Tide

#2971068 - 10/06/12 03:16 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Kevin]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

I think what I enjoy the most about hunting public ground is that its just you against the deer...

No property lines and 9 times out of 10 there are no hunters if your willing to hunt week days or walk more than half a mile.

#2971100 - 10/06/12 04:19 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: nate17]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

content Online
I kill plenty of deer of public land and would kill more if knew how to hunt no complaints here

#2971123 - 10/06/12 04:47 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: ImThere]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

it would be cool to see some of your kills over the years,you seem to have really enjoyed yourself
#2971163 - 10/06/12 05:14 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Oh I have had a good time. I enjoyed and enjoy the time when I hunted because I want to a lot more than when I had to. I killed more big deer during those years but it was because of where I was hunting more than anything else.

I feel pretty sure I probably will never kill a buck larger than 125 again and I am plenty okay with that. I don't have any room on the walls for another head anyway.

This morning was a perfect example. I got up intending to go, stepped out the door. It was raining so I never gave it another thought, just went back to bed. Turned out too be a perfect morning but so what? I have the rest of Oct. and all of Nov. and Dec. to hunt.

If they don't decide to field dress me next Tursday, I can hunt every day. I'm sure I'll sleep in a few more mornings. \:\)

I'll tell you what I miss the most of the way I use to hunt. I miss scouting brand new ground and picking stand sites and I miss blood trailing. I use to trail sometimes 50 animals a year. I miss that. I miss picking a stand site and having a hunter nail the biggest deer of his life out of it the first time it is hunted. last week, I blood trailed one I shot about 200-yards with very little sign. I was in 7th heaven.

I'd love to do those things again. But it is good, when the hand or fingers hurt and don't work or some other part is acting up, it is good to know I don't have to go. I'll have another chance.

#2971172 - 10/06/12 05:33 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Another note on public ground. There are things you can do to increase your odds but the number one thing is to wear out boot leather and never, ever think that the deeper in the woods you go, the better your chances. That is usually the worst mistake you can make.

It took me about five or six years to figure out Cheatham and how to effectively hunt it. Once I did, I averaged 4 deer a year there, three with bow and one with a gun.

Not sure about now but some years back, I killed and I guided a friend to the two biggest bucks killed there up to that time. That is as far as the manager knew. We also killed seven that were not far behind. I would never tell where we killed them because I already had guys following me trying to find out where I was hunting. But I will say this. All of those bucks were killed from a tree that was so close to the road, you could look down into the trucks going by. The tree was just about 30-steps off the road.

(I'm rambling but it is a good for it.)

I had 640 acres leased in Hickman county. It was nothing but up and down hardwood ridges. No road, no houses, no fields, just a section of timber. I loved that place, it was my classroom. One of the toughest pieces of ground to hunt I ever saw. I learned so much from that place it made hunting other spots easy.

I had the lease for 10-years then they sold it. By then, I knew every rock and oak tree on it. I literally lived on that ground, camped in a tent or in my truck for days at a time. I cried when they sold it.

All of that, all of those years, all of those blood trails, allow me now to tell someone over the phone where to look for a wounded deer and be right about half the time. There is no substitute for hours and days and years in the woods and doing it day after day until you get it right. Two days scouting and dead deer won't teach you meadow muffins.

Killing one or two or six deer does not mean jack as so many hunters learn when something changes or a switch flips and suddenly, "they jes aint no deer cause the bears ate them." That is what a guy at Cheatham told me after hunting nine days and not seeing a deer. I never did find out how he explained the four we had hanging up \:\)

Thas e-nuff fo now.

#2971356 - 10/06/12 08:49 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
JSPAL270
6 Point

Loc: BLOUNT CO

I love cheatham wma it's a pretty good ace to hunt , and a very good place to hang out around a campfire. One tip I was given by a older man was if you can't see the road you have gone to far!!!
#2971510 - 10/07/12 05:07 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: JSPAL270]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Smart old man.

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
92 registered (Backstrapcrazy, outdoors crazy, caretaker, TIGGREM2, SEC, rustyloafer, 11 invisible) and 109 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90974 Topics
1063111 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.104 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.