Tndeer Logo

Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2971026 - 10/06/12 02:02 PM Public Ground
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

content Online
There was a guy at the Co-op last week talking about hunting public ground like it was some sort of handicap, like he should get a Dewy button for killing a deer on public ground.

Booshway!

Up until I got sick and needed the convenience of hunting close to home with easy access, I hunted a lot of public ground even thought I had a ton of private land to hunt. I killed a lot of deer. I killed as many or more than I did on private land.

Until I began to travel and hunt so much, I hunted more WMA than I did the land I had leased, killed more deer. I had one tree on Cheatham WMA, that if memory serves, we killed 38 deer out of and another I know I killed eight out of in six years.

What is this BS about hunting PG such a bad deal? You just have to know how to hunt PG.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2971041 - 10/06/12 02:15 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
the last sentence you said, I think that nailed it. I have basically learned to hunt on public land and as you know am still learning. When I get onto private land that I can hunt then it's more relaxed because the animals aren't on edge so much.

I killed my first deer ever on public land during gun season... no I don't want a Dewy button, I got my set of antlers on the wall and that's all I need.

#2971045 - 10/06/12 02:22 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: catman529]
Kevin
8 Point

Loc: Jackson, TN

I have more access to private ground this year than ever before and I'm still going to public ground this afternoon. I love it! It's new places and new Challenges. I'm still looking for my first kill on public land, although I have passed on ALOT of deer on it. And let one walk by right to my wife for her first kill.

A bad day fishing is better than a good day of work.

Roll Tide

#2971068 - 10/06/12 03:16 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Kevin]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

I think what I enjoy the most about hunting public ground is that its just you against the deer...

No property lines and 9 times out of 10 there are no hunters if your willing to hunt week days or walk more than half a mile.

#2971100 - 10/06/12 04:19 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: nate17]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

I kill plenty of deer of public land and would kill more if knew how to hunt no complaints here

#2971123 - 10/06/12 04:47 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: ImThere]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

it would be cool to see some of your kills over the years,you seem to have really enjoyed yourself
#2971163 - 10/06/12 05:14 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
bowriter
Non-Typical

content Online
Oh I have had a good time. I enjoyed and enjoy the time when I hunted because I want to a lot more than when I had to. I killed more big deer during those years but it was because of where I was hunting more than anything else.

I feel pretty sure I probably will never kill a buck larger than 125 again and I am plenty okay with that. I don't have any room on the walls for another head anyway.

This morning was a perfect example. I got up intending to go, stepped out the door. It was raining so I never gave it another thought, just went back to bed. Turned out too be a perfect morning but so what? I have the rest of Oct. and all of Nov. and Dec. to hunt.

If they don't decide to field dress me next Tursday, I can hunt every day. I'm sure I'll sleep in a few more mornings. \:\)

I'll tell you what I miss the most of the way I use to hunt. I miss scouting brand new ground and picking stand sites and I miss blood trailing. I use to trail sometimes 50 animals a year. I miss that. I miss picking a stand site and having a hunter nail the biggest deer of his life out of it the first time it is hunted. last week, I blood trailed one I shot about 200-yards with very little sign. I was in 7th heaven.

I'd love to do those things again. But it is good, when the hand or fingers hurt and don't work or some other part is acting up, it is good to know I don't have to go. I'll have another chance.

#2971172 - 10/06/12 05:33 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

content Online
Another note on public ground. There are things you can do to increase your odds but the number one thing is to wear out boot leather and never, ever think that the deeper in the woods you go, the better your chances. That is usually the worst mistake you can make.

It took me about five or six years to figure out Cheatham and how to effectively hunt it. Once I did, I averaged 4 deer a year there, three with bow and one with a gun.

Not sure about now but some years back, I killed and I guided a friend to the two biggest bucks killed there up to that time. That is as far as the manager knew. We also killed seven that were not far behind. I would never tell where we killed them because I already had guys following me trying to find out where I was hunting. But I will say this. All of those bucks were killed from a tree that was so close to the road, you could look down into the trucks going by. The tree was just about 30-steps off the road.

(I'm rambling but it is a good for it.)

I had 640 acres leased in Hickman county. It was nothing but up and down hardwood ridges. No road, no houses, no fields, just a section of timber. I loved that place, it was my classroom. One of the toughest pieces of ground to hunt I ever saw. I learned so much from that place it made hunting other spots easy.

I had the lease for 10-years then they sold it. By then, I knew every rock and oak tree on it. I literally lived on that ground, camped in a tent or in my truck for days at a time. I cried when they sold it.

All of that, all of those years, all of those blood trails, allow me now to tell someone over the phone where to look for a wounded deer and be right about half the time. There is no substitute for hours and days and years in the woods and doing it day after day until you get it right. Two days scouting and dead deer won't teach you meadow muffins.

Killing one or two or six deer does not mean jack as so many hunters learn when something changes or a switch flips and suddenly, "they jes aint no deer cause the bears ate them." That is what a guy at Cheatham told me after hunting nine days and not seeing a deer. I never did find out how he explained the four we had hanging up \:\)

Thas e-nuff fo now.

#2971356 - 10/06/12 08:49 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
JSPAL270
6 Point

Loc: BLOUNT CO

I love cheatham wma it's a pretty good ace to hunt , and a very good place to hang out around a campfire. One tip I was given by a older man was if you can't see the road you have gone to far!!!
#2971510 - 10/07/12 05:07 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: JSPAL270]
bowriter
Non-Typical

content Online
Smart old man.

#2971513 - 10/07/12 05:12 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: JSPAL270]
BrokenArrow
Spike

Loc: Columbia ,TN.

Hunting on the Yanahli WMA is a learning experiance. Bowriter gave some good advice on PHL. I am still trying to get a handle on hunting Yanahli but seems the smaller woodlots are looking better than the larger tracks as far as fresh sign.got a book bowriter wrote on the shelf. Reading his post has got me thinking about reading it again...lol.

Edited by BrokenArrow (10/07/12 05:15 AM)

#2971551 - 10/07/12 07:47 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
DEERDOWN
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee,USA

i have killed many deer on public land fed eight for the last four years never have hunted private land but there is no room for even a little sloppiness on tva land. its free and no trails people drive, walk and do what they want to
#2971582 - 10/07/12 08:14 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: DEERDOWN]
Mag
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville

Since the Gallatin Steam Plant has been ruined I've turned to Cheatham WMA so notching much of this year off to a learning year. We've been hunting an area that looks really great so far but we haven't taken any yet. Seeing a few here and there though. We will get a chance I'm sure.
#2971747 - 10/07/12 11:20 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: Mag]
7mminatree
6 Point

Loc: Unicoi Tn.

Sixtyone bucks in Cherokee WMA since 1990. In probably the lowest deer density in the state. Yep, I have to walk a lot, No, Cherokee WMA is not what's considerd giant buck country. Yep, you can hunt for days and never see a deer. But you gotta have faith and believe in your tactics. And when you kill a good "mountain buck" you know you hunted what I think are the hardest buck's in the state. Some will disagree with me, but I have and still do hunt farm deer but the challenge just isn't the same. Of course a lot depends on whats availible to hunt locally. And you guys in unit L are blessed with a lot of deer for sure. When I was younger, I used to complain about hunting around here in the mountains.Now that I'm getting older I worry that my physical abillities will limit my time on the mountain.
#2971821 - 10/07/12 01:46 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
JSPAL270
6 Point

I hope to see cheatham rebound. I don't know if it was ehd or just over hunting but there are still plenty of deer there.
#2971943 - 10/07/12 04:21 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: 7mminatree]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: 7mminatree
Sixtyone bucks in Cherokee WMA since 1990. In probably the lowest deer density in the state. Yep, I have to walk a lot, No, Cherokee WMA is not what's considerd giant buck country.

That's impressive, man.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2971964 - 10/07/12 04:54 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

This may be just me, but it seems that public land is getting a lot more traffif then it was just 4 or 5 years ago. Could be coincidence, but WMAs that use to have 4 or 5 vehicles on Saturdays now often have 20-25 vehicles. I suspect that this is a symtom of the economy and people not being able to afford leases. Any similar observations out there?

Originally Posted By: bowriter
Another note on public ground. There are things you can do to increase your odds but the number one thing is to wear out boot leather and never, ever think that the deeper in the woods you go, the better your chances. That is usually the worst mistake you can make.

And this... BW, this is a STUPID statement on your part. The worst mistakes you make make? Are you kidding me? Ok, its a bell curve: The majority of the hunters go a few hundred yards to a a half a mile in from where they can park. This is for a variety of reasons but mostly because one of the following:

1. They are carrying a hunk of metal on their back
2. They are over 50 and 50 lbs over weight
3. They don't want to drag a deer any further than that
4. They are afraid of getting lost
5. All or some combination of the above

Now, a small number of hunters will go very far in and a small number will hunt very close to the roads and parking areas. Of course deer will quickly figure out where the gaps in the pressure are and these gaps certainly do exists in overlooked areas close to roads. Gaps in pressure also exists in hard to access areas. Depending on the time time of year, the best place to hunt may be a specific terrain feature. What if a certain terrain feature happens to be a 1.5 mile walk? Do you not hunt the best spot because it is too far back in favor a spot 30 feet from your truck?

You hunt where the deer are. Period. Yes, that could be 30 feet from your truck, but it might be 3 miles, too. In the end, you are after the same goal as the hunter going far on foot. Yeah sure, we all know that you are on this "I'm so lazy and I am still successful at hunting" phase, but that is terrible advice. What could you possibly be doing that is so bad as to be "The worst thing you could do" by walking deep into the deer woods?

Sure, I hunt close to the truck sometimes. In fact, I have a spot on public land that is not 5 minutes from my truck and, anytime there is a NW wind, I can see deer there guaranteed. No one else hunts it. It is overlooked and there are no trees that will work for conventional stands. However, it is not very aesthetic. Its ugly and you have to listen to cars drive by all day.

I also have some really excellent spots that are over a mile walk where you have to navigate a system of beaver dams to get there. A good spot is a good spot regardless of how far you have to walk to get there. The best advice is to hunt the best spots. You know.... where the deer are and where other hunters are not. There is something to be said for feeling remote: The aesthetic of being a man alone in the middle of the woods (You know, that whole "hunting" thing). Its nice to put in some extra effort and have an entire stretch of the woods to yourself, no cars, no doors slamming, no parking lot chatter.

Another thing is, some WMAs have singular access points. If you hunt next to your vehicle, you will have hunters walking right by you all morning because that is the only way in and out. What do you do in those cases? You hunt next to your truck there and you are in for a terribly un aesthetic hunt. Isn't that what its all about? Enjoying the hunt? I have not interest in watching a camo parade to and from the parking lot.

All and all, if you add up the experience of public land hunters on this forum, you will find that they tend hunt further in than most hunters, OR, they go to great trouble to figure out how to get around other hunters. They may only hunt 50 yards from the road, but they may have to park their truck a 3 quarters of a mile away to hide their spot or because there is no parking there. None of these aspects are factored into your advice, which is terrible advice and I suspect that you are just trying to demonstrate (again) how lazy you are in your hunting (as if we needed another reminder). If that's what makes it enjoyable for you, by all means, but, not good advice for public land hunting

#2972060 - 10/07/12 07:02 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Poser]
Dolan82
4 Point

Loc: Hermitage. Tn

Well put poser. I have only ever hunted public land. Growing up as a kid I always begged my dad to join a lease but he always told me if he was going to pay that much money to hunt he would just go buy a cow. Looking back on it now it has more than likely made me a better hunter because I learned to find those out of the way places. And it makes you feel like you really earned the deer you killed. I would hunt private land but I would never pay to hunt someone's property or ever pay to go on a guided deer hunt. That's just me.

#2972148 - 10/07/12 08:13 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

There was a guy at the Co-op last week talking about hunting public ground like it was some sort of handicap, like he should get a Dewy button for killing a deer on public ground.

Booshway!

Up until I got sick and needed the convenience of hunting close to home with easy access, I hunted a lot of public ground even thought I had a ton of private land to hunt. I killed a lot of deer. I killed as many or more than I did on private land.

Until I began to travel and hunt so much, I hunted more WMA than I did the land I had leased, killed more deer. I had one tree on Cheatham WMA, that if memory serves, we killed 38 deer out of and another I know I killed eight out of in six years.

What is this BS about hunting PG such a bad deal? You just have to know how to hunt PG.

Bowriter wasn't that tree beside a gravel road that you watched the cars drive by, I remember reading the story you wrote about
that one

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#2972166 - 10/07/12 08:27 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Poser]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Originally Posted By: Poser
This may be just me, but it seems that public land is getting a lot more traffif then it was just 4 or 5 years ago. Could be coincidence, but WMAs that use to have 4 or 5 vehicles on Saturdays now often have 20-25 vehicles. I suspect that this is a symtom of the economy and people not being able to afford leases. Any similar observations out there?

And this... BW, this is a STUPID statement on your part. The worst mistakes you make make? Are you kidding me? Ok, its a bell curve: The majority of the hunters go a few hundred yards to a a half a mile in from where they can park. This is for a variety of reasons but mostly because one of the following:

1. They are carrying a hunk of metal on their back
2. They are over 50 and 50 lbs over weight
3. They don't want to drag a deer any further than that
4. They are afraid of getting lost
5. All or some combination of the above

Now, a small number of hunters will go very far in and a small number will hunt very close to the roads and parking areas. Of course deer will quickly figure out where the gaps in the pressure are and these gaps certainly do exists in overlooked areas close to roads. Gaps in pressure also exists in hard to access areas. Depending on the time time of year, the best place to hunt may be a specific terrain feature. What if a certain terrain feature happens to be a 1.5 mile walk? Do you not hunt the best spot because it is too far back in favor a spot 30 feet from your truck?

You hunt where the deer are. Period. Yes, that could be 30 feet from your truck, but it might be 3 miles, too. In the end, you are after the same goal as the hunter going far on foot. Yeah sure, we all know that you are on this "I'm so lazy and I am still successful at hunting" phase, but that is terrible advice. What could you possibly be doing that is so bad as to be "The worst thing you could do" by walking deep into the deer woods?

Sure, I hunt close to the truck sometimes. In fact, I have a spot on public land that is not 5 minutes from my truck and, anytime there is a NW wind, I can see deer there guaranteed. No one else hunts it. It is overlooked and there are no trees that will work for conventional stands. However, it is not very aesthetic. Its ugly and you have to listen to cars drive by all day.

I also have some really excellent spots that are over a mile walk where you have to navigate a system of beaver dams to get there. A good spot is a good spot regardless of how far you have to walk to get there. The best advice is to hunt the best spots. You know.... where the deer are and where other hunters are not. There is something to be said for feeling remote: The aesthetic of being a man alone in the middle of the woods (You know, that whole "hunting" thing). Its nice to put in some extra effort and have an entire stretch of the woods to yourself, no cars, no doors slamming, no parking lot chatter.

Another thing is, some WMAs have singular access points. If you hunt next to your vehicle, you will have hunters walking right by you all morning because that is the only way in and out. What do you do in those cases? You hunt next to your truck there and you are in for a terribly un aesthetic hunt. Isn't that what its all about? Enjoying the hunt? I have not interest in watching a camo parade to and from the parking lot.

All and all, if you add up the experience of public land hunters on this forum, you will find that they tend hunt further in than most hunters, OR, they go to great trouble to figure out how to get around other hunters. They may only hunt 50 yards from the road, but they may have to park their truck a 3 quarters of a mile away to hide their spot or because there is no parking there. None of these aspects are factored into your advice, which is terrible advice and I suspect that you are just trying to demonstrate (again) how lazy you are in your hunting (as if we needed another reminder). If that's what makes it enjoyable for you, by all means, but, not good advice for public land hunting

I think a lot of the traffic is coming from the Media, Outdoor stories, Hunting Shows, even sites like this....The same reason land sales got Hot in Illinois and Kentucky the word gets put out there everywere, people who have never heard of a Refuge or Presidents Island(I never heard of it until I got on here) Hunters want to show their Kills off and the word gets out

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#2972200 - 10/07/12 08:42 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: landman]
Elmer
6 Point

Loc: Ft. Campbell/Montgomery co.

Popcorn ready

Mathews Reezen, CVA Wolf, 7mmWSM

#2972204 - 10/07/12 08:46 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: landman]
Public land rat
Spike

Loc: Tn

1 can tell easily by reading my user name that i wonder around piblic ground a touch. I killed an 8pt on catoosa and an 8pt on bridgestone firestone last year. along with three does all with a bow. I scout very hard, walk way to many miles and swear at myself everytime its gets dark and im nowhere near the truck. All of the public land i hunt is getting more and more people every year. I walk 1.7 miles to my spot at firestone. Im still a blundering idiot compared to most. But i see more deer and have better success when i hunt away from the majority. I try to figure out where people access the land and hunt the places deer slip away. My pitiful advice would be to get where the people arent. the best oak flat in the forest wont do ya any good if theres people all over it
#2972454 - 10/08/12 05:31 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
BrokenArrow
Spike

Horseback riding and dog training has kept things interesting here on Yahnali.
#2972472 - 10/08/12 06:17 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: BrokenArrow]
richmanbarbeque
16 Point

Loc: Middle, Tn

Not all public ground is created equal. A lot depends on hunting pressure, terrain features(or lack of), season dates and several other factors. For one to pat himself on the back and say it is easy on any wma is foolish. I have hunted some that was like hunting private property and also some that had so much pressure that all deer was close to being nocturnal. We arae so lucky to have as much as we do but don't kid yourself some of it is very tough to hunt. BUT it is a great learning experience.
#2972596 - 10/08/12 08:41 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: richmanbarbeque]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: richmanbarbeque
Not all public ground is created equal. A lot depends on hunting pressure, terrain features(or lack of), season dates and several other factors. For one to pat himself on the back and say it is easy on any wma is foolish. I have hunted some that was like hunting private property and also some that had so much pressure that all deer was close to being nocturnal. We arae so lucky to have as much as we do but don't kid yourself some of it is very tough to hunt. BUT it is a great learning experience.

I agree. There is some public land that is just brutally difficult and problematic to hunt, despite holding decent amounts of deer.

#2972599 - 10/08/12 08:43 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: landman]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: landman

I think a lot of the traffic is coming from the Media, Outdoor stories, Hunting Shows, even sites like this....The same reason land sales got Hot in Illinois and Kentucky the word gets put out there everywere, people who have never heard of a Refuge or Presidents Island(I never heard of it until I got on here) Hunters want to show their Kills off and the word gets out

You mean that there are people hunting public land to prove that they can kill big deer on it? That could be a factor in some spots, but I think that most of it is economics.

#2972636 - 10/08/12 09:06 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: Public land rat]
Savage
8 Point

Loc: Crossville, TN

Originally Posted By: Public land rat
1 can tell easily by reading my user name that i wonder around piblic ground a touch. I killed an 8pt on catoosa and an 8pt on bridgestone firestone last year. along with three does all with a bow. I scout very hard, walk way to many miles and swear at myself everytime its gets dark and im nowhere near the truck. All of the public land i hunt is getting more and more people every year. I walk 1.7 miles to my spot at firestone. Im still a blundering idiot compared to most. But i see more deer and have better success when i hunt away from the majority. I try to figure out where people access the land and hunt the places deer slip away. My pitiful advice would be to get where the people arent. the best oak flat in the forest wont do ya any good if theres people all over it

Thats tough doin's right there. Last year, opening morning of bow season at Firestone, there were 36 vehicles. I think its about 15,000 acres, and probably less than 2000 is accessible.

As someone said, not all public ground is created equal. For example, the first morning I ever hunted Ft. Campbell, I saw 14 deer, two shooter bucks.

I hunted Catoosa for a week last year, and saw 3 deer. Obviously, this year I've worn out a pair of boots, and anticipate things being a little different!

#2972677 - 10/08/12 09:28 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: Savage]
bowriter
Non-Typical

content Online
Poser- How far can you walk into the woods. It is a simple statement, yet, everytime I asked it in one of my seminars, I had very few right answers.

On most public ground, the answer is not very far before you reach halfway. Then you are walking out. So, a guy walk two miles back in the woods to avoid human traffic. Another guy on a different road does the same. They end up huntnig on top each other.

The truth is, most hunters walk by more deer than they will ever see. You said my statement was stupid. had I said hunt right by your truck, although surprisingly effective, that might have been stupid. What I said was in effect, the biggest mistake hunters make is hunting too far in the woods. Most of them are walking so far in, they are walking out. If my statement is stupid, so is yours. We said the same thing. Some go too far, some don't go far enough. However, by far my best public land stands have been in places hunters walk by and are within sight of the road.

The hunters walk in in the dark. The deer hold tight and let them walk by. 7:30 maybe 8:00 the deer get up to cross the road. Bowriter puts his apple down and thwak!

The key is, just pick the right spot. It isn't just any tree near a road. It is the right spot near a road. The places no hunter in his right mind would hunt. That is why the deer are there.

#2972705 - 10/08/12 09:46 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Poser- How far can you walk into the woods. It is a simple statement, yet, everytime I asked it in one of my seminars, I had very few right answers.

On most public ground, the answer is not very far before you reach halfway. Then you are walking out. So, a guy walk two miles back in the woods to avoid human traffic. Another guy on a different road does the same. They end up huntnig on top each other.

The truth is, most hunters walk by more deer than they will ever see. You said my statement was stupid. had I said hunt right by your truck, although surprisingly effective, that might have been stupid. What I said was in effect, the biggest mistake hunters make is hunting too far in the woods. Most of them are walking so far in, they are walking out. If my statement is stupid, so is yours. We said the same thing. Some go too far, some don't go far enough. However, by far my best public land stands have been in places hunters walk by and are within sight of the road.

The hunters walk in in the dark. The deer hold tight and let them walk by. 7:30 maybe 8:00 the deer get up to cross the road. Bowriter puts his apple down and thwak!

The key is, just pick the right spot. It isn't just any tree near a road. It is the right spot near a road. The places no hunter in his right mind would hunt. That is why the deer are there.

You are still assuming that all public land is circular and has access from all sides. That is simply not the case. Furthermore, some areas are very large -tens of thousands of ares. Sure, you are walking past deer to get to where you are going. For that, matter, you are driving past deer to get there. The reason that one may go to a secluded spot is to get to a area where the deer do not experience pressure and therefore, feel comfortable moving during daylight hours. Or, maybe it is a terrain funnel that any deer passing through will have to use. Again, the key is to zero in on where the deer are and where the hunters are not. This could be 30 feet from your truck or 3 miles, but there is no hard fast rule that walking too far in is a mistake. I think you are taking an example from one WMA and trying to apply that to all WMAs and, as other public lander hunters on here have vouched, you simply cannot do that. Some areas have singular access points, are cut off by lakes, rivers, swamps and sloughs. Others are cut off by cliff lines and mountains. In other cases, you are only allowed to park in certain areas,and, while the WMA may be small, walking a mile down the road and then stepping 75 yards into the woods may be the key to getting away from other hunters. Use you head. Use your feet. Use your head AND your feet, if necessary.

#2972708 - 10/08/12 09:49 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
bowriter that reminds me of a big, old oak tree I walked by in a thicket right next to the foot travel road and parking area in a rather large and popular tract of land in Yanahli. I thought to myself, everyone who hunts here probably walks far past that tree, as I myself walked far past it. I bet I could kill a deer there if I wanted to.

#2972971 - 10/08/12 01:54 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: catman529]
BrokenArrow
Spike

Originally Posted By: catman529
bowriter that reminds me of a big, old oak tree I walked by in a thicket right next to the foot travel road and parking area in a rather large and popular tract of land in Yanahli. I thought to myself, everyone who hunts here probably walks far past that tree, as I myself walked far past it. I bet I could kill a deer there if I wanted to.

I think i may have tried that same oak a time or two....lol

#2973009 - 10/08/12 02:25 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: catman529]
Doskil
6 Point

Loc: NC USA

If public land is so good, why do most of it have no or restricted gun either-sex seasons?
#2973017 - 10/08/12 02:31 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Doskil]
bowriter
Non-Typical

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Doskil
If public land is so good, why do most of it have no or restricted gun either-sex seasons?

1-Biological foundation for population control.

Just because it is public land does not mean it is good. I don't know who said it was good. In most cases, it is just available. So, in order to build the population to a biologically sound number, does are protected.

Makes perfect sense to me.

#2973077 - 10/08/12 03:13 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
JSPAL270
6 Point

Ok I know a spot on cheatham wma that I have killed several deer from and a friend of mine killed a 4.5 year old 9 point there and I can almost see my camper. I was given some sound advice from a older hunter there and Randy( the TWRA officer) most of the best spots are closer to the road than you would think. I hunt another spot there that I can smell food cooking at the gas station and hear all the BS out front. I always love it when I shoot my rifle and I hear someone say that scared the **** out of me
#2973078 - 10/08/12 03:14 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: JSPAL270]
JSPAL270
6 Point

At cheatham the farther you walk the closer you are to another road or private property
#2973091 - 10/08/12 03:26 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: JSPAL270]
bowriter
Non-Typical

content Online
 Originally Posted By: JSPAL270
Ok I know a spot on cheatham wma that I have killed several deer from and a friend of mine killed a 4.5 year old 9 point there and I can almost see my camper. I was given some sound advice from a older hunter there and Randy( the TWRA officer) most of the best spots are closer to the road than you would think. I hunt another spot there that I can smell food cooking at the gas station and hear all the BS out front. I always love it when I shoot my rifle and I hear someone say that scared the **** out of me

Do not hunt that spot by the store. I have had that reserved for many years. I killed a very nice 9-pt there that had been bedding behind the store.

repeat...That is my spot. Randy gave it to me.

\:\)

#2973204 - 10/08/12 04:41 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
JSPAL270
6 Point

I was hunting off little Bethany creek a lot and noitced deer always crossing the rd every time I passed so I parked near by. Put a stand up at 1230 and at 200 I was tagged out 2 doe and a nice buck
#2973211 - 10/08/12 04:46 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: JSPAL270]
JSPAL270
6 Point

The group I hunted with all hunts off 250 and we always have several deer even after the EHD out break. And I know none are more than 200 yd from the road. We only hunt public land.
#2973359 - 10/08/12 06:31 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: JSPAL270]
Rackseeker
12 Point

Loc: Franklin County

happy Online
The older I get the closer I hunt to the road. Not because of the things someone posted earlier, but because after I learned what to look for. I have hunted a spot on public land several times since archery opened. I have seen 6 different bucks only one shooter. Its funny no matter how many bucks I have killed I have one make a fool out of me every now and then. I had a upper 130's 9pt at 15 yards the other afternoon and couldn't close the deal.

#2973611 - 10/08/12 09:13 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Rackseeker]
BrokenArrow
Spike

Had better luck with the turkeys than the deer on cheatham.
#2973697 - 10/08/12 10:34 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: BrokenArrow]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Ya'll keep hunting public land.....Maybe eventually it will make finding a private lease easier!! Ya'll can have it.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#2973710 - 10/08/12 10:51 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: rukiddin?]
BuckHunter511
6 Point

Loc: Cumberland County,Tennessee, U...

I hope I can do well during the archery hunt at Catoosa. Might apply this advice.

#2973771 - 10/09/12 01:07 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: BuckHunter511]
Wells Taxidermy
4 Point

Loc: Millington,TN

I have had to grow up on public land simply because we could not afford to lease land. Its actually simple to hunt but you have to 1. do your homework, 2. Hunt and be smart about when and how long you hunt. and 3. sometimes its better to be lucky than good. Most public areas get more pressure than you think even during the week. So that being said I look for natural funnels thats is close to some very thick spots. I have been fortunate enough to be involed in 4 or 5 120 to 130" deer a 150" 10 pt and a 167" 14pt. all within 300 yard radius of each other. the old saying deer don't get big and old by being stupid is a fact.when smoke sticks and rifles start poping left and right on year and a half old 6 pts not to metion whats happening on the private land that boarders the wma's. deer hit the thickest nastiest stuff they can find and run the local cane cutter out of his home. Do your homework, hunt hard, have a little luck, and don't tell a human being about it. not even family. and you will find success.
#2973823 - 10/09/12 05:31 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: Wells Taxidermy]
BrokenArrow
Spike

Got some places where I hunt on Yahnali that a rabbit hates to go in. Plan on checking some of it out before the smokepole season sets in.
#2973847 - 10/09/12 05:59 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: BrokenArrow]
JSPAL270
6 Point

I just can not justify taking money from my family to pay for a lease. Especially when there is so many options, if it was only a couple hundred dollars, but it's more like 800 to over 1000. Then there is still no way to keep people off your property. Maybe once my children are old enoughf to hunt but for now I am sticking to it
#2973851 - 10/09/12 06:09 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: Poser]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

You mean that there are people hunting public land to prove that they can kill big deer on it? That could be a factor in some spots, but I think that most of it is economics.

I read alot even on here where private land hunters are hunting public land to save there "good" spots until rifle or the rut i see and hear it alot

#2973980 - 10/09/12 08:08 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: ImThere]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: ImThere

I read alot even on here where private land hunters are hunting public land to save there "good" spots until rifle or the rut i see and hear it alot

Yeah, I've talked to people who do that, too. They want to kill a deer or turkey on public land first to keep pressure off their land until Mid-Season. I can't say that there is anything wrong with that approach, in fact I would recommend it if your property is rather small.

#2974520 - 10/09/12 02:34 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Poser]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

[/quote]
I read alot even on here where private land hunters are hunting public land to save there "good" spots until rifle or the rut i see and hear it alot [/quote]

Yeah, I've talked to people who do that, too. They want to kill a deer or turkey on public land first to keep pressure off their land until Mid-Season. I can't say that there is anything wrong with that approach, in fact I would recommend it if your property is rather small. [/quote]

I certainly do that, especially when trying to fill the freezer. Last year I went out with the intention of shooting the first deer I saw on several occasions, and my first pick for hunting land was a public spot relatively close to home.

Poser - if it weren't for the fact that we have to keep our spots under our hats so religiously, I'd love to compare notes on all the little honey holes on public land in SW Tennessee that we've been able to accumulate. It wouldn't surprise me to find some areas that overlap on each other's lists. Oh well...some other time. Maybe when we are on our death beds \:\)

#2974521 - 10/09/12 02:34 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Crosshairy]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Oops...goofed that quote up \:\(

#2974596 - 10/09/12 03:48 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: Crosshairy]
bowriter
Non-Typical

content Online
I don't see how Poser finds time to hunt. I owuld think he is busy finding news articles to share with us. \:\)

#2974659 - 10/09/12 04:35 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Bowriter,

I had a thought. Haven't you posted before that you do a lot of walking to stay in shape? Why not combine your daily walks with hunting and just walk further to go hunting? Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak ;\)

#2975204 - 10/10/12 01:01 AM Re: Public Ground [Re: Poser]
Treestand Troubadour
4 Point

Loc: Carter County

since i dont own a pedometer i just walk til it looks good, i got spots 20 yards from the road and spots over 2 miles back, i aint got nothin to prove, just deer to shoot

#2976072 - 10/10/12 04:55 PM Re: Public Ground [Re: ImThere]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: ImThere

Yep I do it all the time.The wma I hunt is empty during bow season so I hunt till muzzy opens.

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
119 registered (tbird13, Eric Kilby, Coker, junebugwapiti, MBG, 7mm08, 18 invisible) and 181 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95663 Topics
1119738 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.066 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.