Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#2969689 - 10/05/12 09:33 AM Re: When using climbers [Re: 156p&y]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Poser,

Could you use multiple etriers? For example, a strap on step every 6 feet with an etrier attached to it.

#2969704 - 10/05/12 09:58 AM Re: When using climbers [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: WMAn
Poser,

Could you use multiple etriers? For example, a strap on step every 6 feet with an etrier attached to it.

Yep, occasionally I carry two and might start doing so more frequently. The one caveat (there's that word again ) is that stepping down with boots on in the dark can be a little tricky. Its not bad, but it is tricky, so really just depends on the users dexterity. With boots on, its hard to "feel" what your feet are doing and it can be a bit physical. If you are a big guy, out of shape, not very flexible, doing this this 12 feet off the ground is not advisable, but, for most people, 6 feet off the ground won't be a problem at all. These were designed for ascending, descending not so much, but they'll work and save you time/ allow you to climb "unclimbable" trees.

I always carry 3 sewn slings because I find them very useful for all kinds of things, plus they are light and full strength. Often, I'll do a "cheat" step or two further up the tree, particularly of the tree gets wider in the middle, which happens sometimes. This isn't a full 6 feet of "cheating" but it saves me at least one step. With this combination, I can often get 25-30 feet with only 8 steps. This saves quite a bit of time.

Note, always use a lineman's belt especially when climbing down because you'll want to load your body weight onto your belt as you are stepping down.

These sewn slings can be found in the rock climbing gear section of a outdoor store. You can girth hitch 2 or 3 of them together if you needed to. Mere ounces of weight and by carrying three of these and a Etrier, you have a total of about 12 feet of sewn sling with you which could be extremely useful if you had rescue yourself or another hunter. You can also use this stuff to drag a deer, hang a deer carcass, tow your truck out of the mud etc

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2969716 - 10/05/12 10:07 AM Re: When using climbers [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Giving away all of my secrets here.... should be charging for this

Punk Rock Tree Climbing masterclass
Presented by Poser
admission $25

The secrets to climbing trees for hunting in a light and fast "Alpine" style.

-climb the "unclimbable"
-hunt where others cannot/will not
-impress your friends and hunting partners
-get chics
-manage hangovers while in a elevated position

#2969733 - 10/05/12 10:21 AM Re: When using climbers [Re: Poser]
volsgo1
10 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN. 38017

25.00 bucks Im in. Refreshments provided???

#2969814 - 10/05/12 11:34 AM Re: When using climbers [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
The one caveat (there's that word again ) is that stepping down with boots on in the dark can be a little tricky. Its not bad, but it is tricky, so really just depends on the users dexterity. With boots on, its hard to "feel" what your feet are doing and it can be a bit physical.

What about slipping your boots off, lowering them with your gun or bow, and descending in socks? Or, carrying a pair of climbing shoes?

#2969822 - 10/05/12 11:38 AM Re: When using climbers [Re: volsgo1]
WMAn
8 Point

Originally Posted By: volsgo1
25.00 bucks Im in. Refreshments provided???

Yes, they are. Full menu to include:

- Braised deer shanks - participants must suck the marrow or be banned from participation without refund.
- Southwestern Squirrel
- Duck Breasts sauteed in beaver fat

A broad selection of fine whiskeys will be served, but only after climbing activities are complete. Those who overindulge may crash in yard, but will face a 4:00 am wake-up crew followed by climbing in the dark, with hang over, drills. ;\)

#2970106 - 10/05/12 04:53 PM Re: When using climbers [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

I'm liking this idea more and more.

#2990255 - 10/20/12 09:38 AM Re: When using climbers [Re: Poser]
bigasports
8 Point

Loc: Spring Hill

This is a thread I have read over many times & keep going back to. I am gonna have to try this typy of climbing. Very informative!!!
I love only that which they defend.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
48 registered (Rob R., ruger7mag, muzzy76, bowhunterfanatic, TNDeerGuy, shaneb, 2 invisible) and 99 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91786 Topics
1072703 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.089 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.