Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2969602 - 10/05/12 08:26 AM Hunt for records destroys hunting
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

http://www.reporterherald.com/columnists/homewaters/ci_21684278/hunt-records-may-destroy-hunting

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2969636 - 10/05/12 08:46 AM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: Poser]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Very well put. This is the reason that ethics are so important to hunting, not just the "if its legal, then do it," or the "we should not be negative toward other hunters," arguments. Some things that we believe in as hunters seem a but trifling to argue about, but many more are of far more importance to the way that we portray ourselves to the nonhunting public. This greatly effects our hunting rights, as well as land use and other privileges and respect from nonhunters. The old saying of "pride come before the fall" definitley applies here, as if we continue to hold our noses high and wait until the tide of public perception fully turns, then we will be too late turn it back.
#2969643 - 10/05/12 08:49 AM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: EastTNHunter]
hunterncoach
6 Point

Loc: northern middle tn

Good Read....I'm glad many writers & a few TV hosts are starting to put the brakes on! Hopefully we don't continue down the slippery slope
#2969674 - 10/05/12 09:08 AM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: hunterncoach]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Exceptional article. An excellent discussion of how trophyism is such a threat to our hunting heritage.

These words bear repeating:

"...I've never been a fan of hunting contests, big rack tournaments, "tape-measure" hunting or other similar, gratuitous hunting events. They create a horribly distorted and incredibly destructive image of what traditional, fair chase hunting and game conservation is all about.

Killing animals for fame, fortune, celebrity status, bogus awards and meaningless titles... portrays us and what we do in the worst possible light to the millions of non-hunters who have little understanding of what our legitimate purpose is or what our responsibilities to our game herds and flocks are. It's evident from the number of hunting competitions, high-dollar canned hunts and closed-fence trophy hunts these days that a lot of hunters have lost sight of it too.

Hunting isn't, nor should it be, about ego-gratification, score keeping and phony, grandiose titles. Taking a representative big buck or bull for a personal wall mount and utilizing all of the meat is a time-honored tradition, but shooting animals for cash prizes or hollow recognition and then trying to convince the rest of the world that we hold our game animals in the highest regard reeks of the same kind of hypocrisy animal-rights groups practice.
"

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2969687 - 10/05/12 09:31 AM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: BSK]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Great read and one that I concur with 110%. Thanks for sharing.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2969722 - 10/05/12 10:14 AM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: Andy S.]
htnseymour
8 Point

Loc: sevier county Tn

Great article. Man that was eye opening. Gonna show that to a couple of my "TROPHY" hunting buddies

#2969794 - 10/05/12 11:21 AM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: htnseymour]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

Good article and sometimes hyperbole is used to make a point. I do want to say that the P&Y Club, B&C and more recently Buckmasters Trophy Records as well as the Tennessee Deer Registry are good for hunting and have been around way before the craze of trophyism and canned hunts for TV came about. They promote fair chase and conservation and I believe have been good for hunting. Some may see this as "hollow recognition" of a trophy but I see it as recognizing the animal as much as the hunter. I don't think this is the emphasis of the article but let's be careful we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

#2969860 - 10/05/12 12:08 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: fairchaser]
RKenney
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co.

I agree with the article, but I wonder how some that agree with the article, that are deer hunters, would handle this
hypothetical situation.

Let's say that by some astronomical odds you kill the new world record typical buck. Would you except any monetary gain from it?

#2969868 - 10/05/12 12:16 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: RKenney]
RKenney
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co.

Sorry. I meant..accept.
#2969907 - 10/05/12 12:51 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: RKenney]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Way out there

Very thought provoking article. While I agree with the thesis of the article in principle, the question is how to get the genie back in the bottle. We live in a culture that places a high emphasis on keeping score, winning, and recognition in virtually all aspects of life. Those values have permeated sporting pursuits to such an extent that I wonder if we can ever return to the "good old days" of pursuing game for sustenance and personal satisfaction. I suspect it will not happen.

http://www.pursuithunting.com
http://www.pursuitland.com

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
65 registered (Bow Hunter, medic, tndeerman, leader, Beekeeper, DaveB, 8 invisible) and 139 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89300 Topics
1044383 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.212 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.