Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2969925 - 10/05/12 01:21 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: RKenney]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: RKenney
I agree with the article, but I wonder how some that agree with the article, that are deer hunters, would handle this
hypothetical situation.

Let's say that by some astronomical odds you kill the new world record typical buck. Would you except any monetary gain from it?

Good question.

I'll preface my answer with this - I don't intentionally hunt trophies (or even exclusively mature deer), so my odds of such an event are zero.

If I were lucky enough to kill the new world record, and someone offered me $100k or whatever for the shoulder mount, I think I'm lying to myself if I said I would turn it down.

But to me, that's different than hunting deer for the purpose of killing big bucks to make money off of. If someone is silly enough to pay me an enormous amount of money for the product of me hunting for meat for the freezer (and I get to keep the meat off my deer anyway!!!), then I don't have a problem taking his money to help my situation in life.

#2969932 - 10/05/12 01:38 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: fairchaser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: fairchaser
Good article and sometimes hyperbole is used to make a point. I do want to say that the P&Y Club, B&C and more recently Buckmasters Trophy Records as well as the Tennessee Deer Registry are good for hunting and have been around way before the craze of trophyism and canned hunts for TV came about. They promote fair chase and conservation and I believe have been good for hunting.

If all of these recordbooks only entered the buck's information, and NOT the hunter's, I would agree. But the drive of some hunters to get their name in the recordbooks is part of the problem. Because of that, I would list all recordbooks that glorify the hunter as being major negatives.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2969933 - 10/05/12 01:38 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: RKenney]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: RKenney
Let's say that by some astronomical odds you kill the new world record typical buck. Would you except any monetary gain from it?

I wouldn't even enter it in the books.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2969934 - 10/05/12 01:40 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Pursuit Hunter
Very thought provoking article. While I agree with the thesis of the article in principle, the question is how to get the genie back in the bottle. We live in a culture that places a high emphasis on keeping score, winning, and recognition in virtually all aspects of life. Those values have permeated sporting pursuits to such an extent that I wonder if we can ever return to the "good old days" of pursuing game for sustenance and personal satisfaction. I suspect it will not happen.

The only way I can think of is to remove hunting from the list of "sports." The word "sport" implies competition. Hunting should not be a competition between hunter;, only between hunter and prey.

#2969971 - 10/05/12 01:58 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have long been a proponent of deleting the hunter's name form all record books. However, to do so would also be the death knell of the organization. Without the revenue driven by the hunter's ego, the desire to see his or her name in the record book, there be no record keep organization.

I have also long wondered,"what would be wrong with that?"

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2969975 - 10/05/12 02:01 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Ironic????

The two posts st the top of the current list are on a big deer killed and on an article decrying hunting for records.

#2970039 - 10/05/12 03:49 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: bowriter]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

So we wipe out P&Y and B&C.no one hunts for Trophy bucks and everyone only hunts for meat to control the herd. bet we would lose 1/2 the hunters or more then where would we be. We just need a little more balance between the meat hunters and the trophy hunters nationwide. I think we have a pretty good balance in TN at least based on my limited experience

#2970052 - 10/05/12 03:56 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: WRbowhunter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WRbowhunter
So we wipe out P&Y and B&C.no one hunts for Trophy bucks and everyone only hunts for meat to control the herd. bet we would lose 1/2 the hunters or more then where would we be. We just need a little more balance between the meat hunters and the trophy hunters nationwide. I think we have a pretty good balance in TN at least based on my limited experience

Why would we lose 1/2 the hunters? I would bet half the hunters don't even know what B& C or P&Y are. There would still be the hunt for horns. It just would not be so commercial and ego driven.

#2970070 - 10/05/12 04:08 PM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: WRbowhunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WRbowhunter
So we wipe out P&Y and B&C.no one hunts for Trophy bucks and everyone only hunts for meat to control the herd.

No one is saying hunting for and challenging one's self against the best Nature can produce is a bad thing. The author even stated, "Taking a representative big buck or bull for a personal wall mount and utilizing all of the meat is a time-honored tradition. The problem is the reason so many are obsessed with killing high scoring bucks these days, and that is, "for fame, fortune, celebrity status, bogus awards and meaningless titles..." THAT is the problem. Once again, "Hunting isn't, nor should it be, about ego-gratification, score keeping and phony, grandiose titles."

Quote:
bet we would lose 1/2 the hunters or more...

Bet we wouldn't. But we might lose some the worst offenders, like the TV "pro" hunters and those who idolize them.

#2970833 - 10/06/12 09:38 AM Re: Hunt for records destroys hunting [Re: BSK]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Do you REALLY think removing the names and doing away with the record books would stop the drive for killing big bucks????

You must have short memories how about the FT CAMPBELL BUST???
Done of those were record book recorded

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
47 registered (turk870, Hillbilly Hunter, 7wsm, cbhunter, mimitk, Sea-ark, 3 invisible) and 202 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99447 Topics
1169841 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.