Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#2968290 - 10/04/12 09:30 AM Re: When using climbers [Re: .243win]
TheMMAn
Spike

Loc: Gallatin

Here's a pretty slick solution for Summit users. I put a bungee for this on my stand last weekend, but have not had to use it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N93PYwmfRXE&feature=related

#2968296 - 10/04/12 09:41 AM Re: When using climbers [Re: TheMMAn]
Pursuit Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Way out there

Originally Posted By: TheMMAn
Here's a pretty slick solution for Summit users. I put a bungee for this on my stand last weekend, but have not had to use it yet.

I can see that it would work, but what happens if the stand somehow slips off your heels while you are adjusting it? You're screwed! It only takes a minute to climb back down and adjust it safely on the ground. For me, the litmus test is whether I would allow my son to do it and the answer is definitely no. In my younger (more invincible) years I would have done it in a heartbeat though.

Edited by Pursuit Hunter (10/04/12 09:42 AM)

http://www.pursuithunting.com
http://www.pursuitland.com

#2968321 - 10/04/12 10:02 AM Re: When using climbers [Re: Pursuit Hunter]
TheMMAn
Spike

Loc: Gallatin

Originally Posted By: Pursuit Hunter
 Originally Posted By: TheMMAn

I can see that it would work, but what happens if the stand somehow slips off your heels while you are adjusting it? You're screwed! It only takes a minute to climb back down and adjust it safely on the ground. For me, the litmus test is whether I would allow my son to do it and the answer is definitely no. In my younger (more invincible) years I would have done it in a heartbeat though.

I thought about that as well. But i use the straps that secure the foot platform to the main climber, so i would use these to pull it back up. I have lost my foot climber a couple of times, and was able to get the foot platform back up. Of course, if the cable came out while pulling it back up, it would make things very interesting...

I'm thinking of adding a small strap across the toe of the foot climber, so that i can secure it to my feet before i pull the trigger, and won't have to worry about it slipping.

And also, i have my handy dandy home-made retriever hook, so i don't worry about being able to recover anything that hits the ground (except me, of course)

#2968567 - 10/04/12 12:49 PM Re: When using climbers [Re: TheMMAn]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Old hickory Tn

I can adjust my summits cable easily and quietly on the way up if I need to. Kneel on your seat when adjusting the platform. Piece a ham:)

Edited by Mudbone (10/04/12 12:52 PM)

#2968572 - 10/04/12 12:53 PM Re: When using climbers [Re: TheMMAn]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Start with it at steep angle.
Start with stand as high up the tree as you can pull yourself up into it.

Don't do some of the CRAZY things some of "us" do to adjust stand when at hunting elevation. \:\)

#2968604 - 10/04/12 01:11 PM Re: When using climbers [Re: TNDeerGuy]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
 Originally Posted By: jbow
Start with the stand at an extreme upward angle at the bottom. As you climb up you'll level out.

Yep! I've been in some trees that are so wide at the base that my climber is almost at a 60 degree angle.

that will do it

#2968629 - 10/04/12 01:28 PM Re: When using climbers [Re: REM7]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Nobody here is going to follow though on this suggestion, but here goes none the less: Get yourself a Etrier They are available in both grey and green, light weight, compact and are rated to 10Kn (2,248 lbf). Since I use rope on tree steps, I place my first step at head height and place a etrier on the first step. This saves me having to place two steps. It also lets me place a step on trees with exceptionally large girth as the base, which are common in the swamps of West TN.

I showed this system to a buddy who uses a climber and he immediately started using one as well. He girth hitches the Etrier to the front edge of the platform. This allows him to place his climber level on trees with large bases. It also allows him to bypass the base of the tree if it is too wide. He then climbs up the Etrier onto his platform.

Pictured is one placed on a screw in step in my backyard -not the best pic, but it will give you a good idea of how I quickly bypass the first 6 feet of any tree.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2968646 - 10/04/12 01:44 PM Re: When using climbers [Re: Poser]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Thanks for posting this Poser. An Etrier is exactly what my buddy needs for some of his lock on stands. I will pass this along as we were just discussing some of his options the other day.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2968649 - 10/04/12 01:48 PM Re: When using climbers [Re: Andy S.]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
Thanks for posting this Poser. An Etrier is exactly what my buddy needs for some of his lock on stands. I will pass this along as we were just discussing some of his options the other day.

They have them at Outdoor Inc in Memphis. Make sure to not get the Alpine models. Though lighter, they don't have the rigid steps and are hard to get your feet in when its dark or stepping down.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2968650 - 10/04/12 01:49 PM Re: When using climbers [Re: Poser]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Cool beans man, thanks.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (Eric Kilby, Sting, tnbucs1, jumpmaster21, redheadshooter, H1234) and 82 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.