Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#2968387 - 10/04/12 10:33 AM Who hunts mainly from the ground???
Kevin B.
8 Point

Loc: Hardin County

And although I have nothing against shooting boxes, or whatever their called, I am talking: taking a pear of hand pruners....whooping ya up a blind, using a seat cushion, and being as scent free as possible. I killed a doe last sat morning like this. I have a grand total of ONE deer stand. I bought it yeterdy. I don't intend on spending that much anymore. BUT,....I went scouting this morning and was NOT disappointed. Acorns galore. A year round spring with tracks around it. Deep in a midnite holler. An awesome evening place. AND PLENTY OF STRAIGHT LIMBLESS TREES!!! I immediately thought: I'm getting another (had two in the past) Viper. Several tres are PERFECT. The understory is situated to hide me good!!! Yes...I'll run to Pickwick and buy JUST ONE MORE!!! And that'll be it!!!
But sanity soon returned and I realized that shooting a good deer from the ground CAN be done. I read an article about a seventy yr old man who still uses one of the first Jennings Compounds. Big FAT cedar arrows (I THINK cedar) and Bear razorheads with inserts. And he ONLY hunts on a dove stool. With no back. He just pops that sucker in the middle of a briar thicket. He kills MONSTERS every year. I'll search for the article and post the linkage.
My fellow ground hunters. Tips? Tricks? Anything ya want to pass on to a teachable soul? There surely other ways to trick a deers senses and instinct than being 15 feet high. I have been busted numerous times and be in a climer. Besides, I'm getting old. I don't care to backpack in a climber...and I am not real crazy about getting this Millenium set up in a tree. My mom has a Drs. appt this afternoon or I'd be out there now setting the Millenium up and dropping sweat everywhere. But this post is dedicated to the ground hunters amongst us. You can feel welcome and accepted here. lol No ostracization!

#2968400 - 10/04/12 10:40 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: Kevin B.]
wayers
6 Point

Loc: TN,Carter

im about 50/50 i have several stands but havent hunted from any this year put im planning on putting up a ladder stand as soon as i can found a new spot but about have to be in a tree to be able to see anything

#2968406 - 10/04/12 10:43 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: wayers]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

I hunt from the ground sometimes. It all depends on the situation at hand.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#2968408 - 10/04/12 10:43 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: wayers]
.444 Marlin
16 Point

Loc: Benton, Polk Co. Tenn.

I been hunting quite a bit from treestands the last few years but i prefer hunting from the ground. less noise to be made getting into the stand, its safer, more comfortable in windy or cold weather, and its more of a challenge.

Alright, I'm here now who wants my autograph??

#2968434 - 10/04/12 10:58 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: Kevin B.]
jbow
4 Point

Loc: Arlington, TN

I have mostly hunted from a tree stand and have killed deer.

This weekend I was strapped for time and I was hunting in an area with straight trees with no cover. I decided to hunt from a stool. On Saturday I saw a small buck and a doe they were very on edge, obviously they smelled me as the wind was blowing straigh across my back to them. Next I saw a group of 7 does coming in on the oposite side, wind in my face. They never knew anything. I didn't take a shot and watched them for about 45 minutes. I sprayed down some before my walk in but did not make a huge scent free effort.

On Sunday I decided to go back into the same area. The night before I washed my clothes in scent free soap. Took a shower that morning with scent free soap and I sprayed everything down good. After a while I saw the same 7 does and they were not on edge at all. I also saw the small buck and a button head a little while later they acted normal with no jitters like the morning prior. I heard a bunch of tree rats behind me during the hunt and turned to look at them several times. The next time I heard the squirrels I never turned to look thinking it was them again. A few minutes passed and all hell broke loose right behind me. I turned to look and a big doe was standing at about 10 feet. Of course when I turned she bolted for another 20 yards before stopping to look. I never shot but man it was fun. Looking at the ground where she bolted from the first time behind me SHE ALMOST TOUCHED ME. I was in a leaf suit and obviously scent free.

I think I will hunt alot more from the ground this year. If you do it, pay close attention to becoming scent free or hunt the wind for sure.

#2968438 - 10/04/12 10:59 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: .444 Marlin]
Stalkhunter
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville TN

I hunt from the ground almost 100% of the time. Killed all my deer from the ground except 2. all bow kills been from ground and no ground blinds or shooting houses.

Μολων λαβε
I am a cancer Killer.

#2968445 - 10/04/12 11:02 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: .444 Marlin]
Hit&Miss84
Spike

Loc: Kingsport, Tn

I have only hunted in a tree stand a few times, I grew up hunting public land in VA and always hunted from the ground. What helps me the most is having a dark background and being comfortable. I had a doe walk by within 5 yards of me last year during rifle seaon and I didn't have a bit of cover in front of me. I was in a shadow and I had a large log behind me. I didn't move and she never spooked, she looked directly at me but never spooked. As soon as she was about 20 yards behind I think she smelled me and then she took off. I like to always have cover behind me so I can turn and look without spooking anything. The things I usually do include:

1. Clear leaves and branches so I have room to move a little without making much noise. If you are sitting make sure you can still see well once you sit down.

2. Make sure I have good cover behind me.

3. Get comfortable

4. Make sure I can point my weapon in most directions without having to make big movements or make sure I have cover to hide movements to the side or rear. I will pick up dead logs/branches or use whatever is lying around to make some cover.

5. Makes sure my head and hands aren't standing out, thin gloves and some sort of face covering.

#2968468 - 10/04/12 11:21 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: Hit&Miss84]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

Hunting from the ground has many advantages and I have killed a few deer that way. But, I can't see as well from the ground and I move too much. Another spot always looks better to me and I want to move there. It takes more energy to hunt from the ground because you are consciously make an effort to see and hear and not get caught flat footed. If something comes in behind you, its very difficult to turn around. I discovered this turkey hunting. I have great admoration for those of you who can do it successfully.

#2968479 - 10/04/12 11:33 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: Hit&Miss84]
Kevin B.
8 Point

Gentlemen (forgive me if a lady replied as the forum names don't tell me sometimes), THIS IS the info that was looking for. I remember well, waking up in the morning at 445 am and DREADING what lay ahead. I had a Summit Viper. Putting on my safety apparatus. Laying my bow and quiver on the ground. Attaching a lift rope to them (and forgetting sometimes).
THE WIND!!!!! I think that you nailed it! But there were several equally good points. I use a face net. I am thinking of investing in a ghillie suit. But really, the cedar branches (they have a good scent masking affect as well as being thick) that I cut with my hand pruners work well. Th olny problem is ...hillsides. Sliding downhill. I have to level out the ground at the base of the tree. But I have a perfect hillside point that is aiming down at a watering hole and a dropping white oak right next to it. This is buck territory too!!! I just cannot hike my Millenium stand in that far, Hiking a Viper stand would require some maneuvering as it is a THICK walk-in. I cleared a tunnel thru the thickness with my pruner. But I have found were the bucks call home BEFORE the pre rut. And brother....it is thick! I appreciate all tips and replies. I MAY scratch the ghillie suit or I may not.
By the time I attempt to hike a Viper stand in, attach it, climb up, pull bow up, I will be dripping sweat and will be nothing but a SCENT PRODUCING factory!!! I am gonna have to alter my hunting methods for this wild, cutover (big woods in the hollers) lease. I just cannot have a stand for every occasion. Last saturday proved that I can kill a deer from the ground. It wasn't my first from the ground. But learning stuff from y'all is already helping. I wish that y'all could see what I saw this morning. This place is magical. It would be PERFECT for a Viper!!!! But GETTING IN THERE with the Viper would be monumental. Getting a deer out EVEN with my new game cart will require alot of pruning as I go. The Game Cart has opened this place up fo rme to hunt. It's down hill going in. Uphill, obviously, coming out. I am adamant about the washing with scent and die free ALL. I also have some scent killer spray. The deer sees well with its nose. Poorly with its eyes.....until you move. Thanks again yall!! I appreciate ya.

#2968481 - 10/04/12 11:37 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: fairchaser]
hunterncoach
6 Point

Loc: northern middle tn

I have killed 3 of my 4 wall-hangers from the ground...the one I killed from a tree stand was also the only one that I killed with a bow. I only hunt from the ground with a bow when the situation doesn't allow me to put up a stand. When I was in high school & college I bow hunted from the ground all the time & was very successful. I just try to take it easy now
#2968482 - 10/04/12 11:37 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: Kevin B.]
TNGunhunter
6 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

Man, you're lucky...as a kid, I had to hunt up hill both ways!! lol...good luck

#2968502 - 10/04/12 11:51 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: Kevin B.]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I hunt from the ground a lot (probably 80+% in areas with hills), and kill virtually all of my deer that way. I love the simplicity of it.

Another tool to add to your arsenal is a small camo netting setup on fold-out poles. I don't recall what brand mine is, but it's essentially a camo wall that's about 5 feet wide and 2 feet tall with a leafy camo design and several foldable plastic stakes. I would say that it weighs about 8-9 ounces, and rolls up to a small bundle about the diameter of your forearm.

It's an almost-solid screen with holes cut out of it from the leafy design. This allows you to have a "base layer" shield in front of you, and thread surrounding vegetation into the screen to help blend it into the surroundings. This helps a lot in areas like field edges that may not have as much durable cover to move about.

I use it whenever cover is not as thick as I need, or if I'm using a crossbow (since it has a large profile and catches attention).

2 years ago I had 3-4 deer come in close, and I was able to slowly shift my body, keeping the crossbow low to the ground, and slowly ease it up onto my knee for a shooting rest. The blind I made allowed me to shift my feet/legs/x-bow/hands around enough to line up the shot on deer that were inside of 40 yards.

You will generally get busted more often ground hunting, but you will also be more willing to go in farther than before.

As far as gun/MZ hunting in areas with decent hills, a stand is completely unnecessary most of the time. I simply get high enough from the floor of the holler on the side of a hill against a good tree, and keep at least 50 yards away from the trails I am watching. A little bit of distance will buy you a lot of forgiveness on subtle movements.

#2968507 - 10/04/12 11:54 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: TNGunhunter]
Trapper John
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: La Vergne,TN/Decaturville, TN

100% from the ground for the past few years. I take in a seat designed for turkey hunters, a cushion, shooting stick and a weapon.

I wish I had tips to offer, but they'd just be the basics. Don't move much, keep your eyes and ears open, don't jerk your head when you hear or see something, and try to look like a patch of weeds.

Some of my best experiences came from hunting on the ground. I've had a doe and a little forkhorn come up and sniff my rifle before walking off, a turkey nearly walk over my legs, and had a squirrel try to burrow into my pocket. Fun stuff.

#2968517 - 10/04/12 12:01 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: Trapper John]
jbow
4 Point

Loc: Arlington, TN

Lot easier to sleep on the ground too.
#2968562 - 10/04/12 12:45 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: jbow]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Williamson cty. Tn

content Online
I have killed a few nice deer from the ground with a bow, all from the same spot. Some areas don't offer good ground spots for archery equipment.

#2968579 - 10/04/12 12:57 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: Mudbone]
Kevin B.
8 Point

Wow thanks guys. I haven't posted much in the last year, but you fellers are pretty nice and obliging and don't mind sharing your secrets with a stranger......if you can REALLY call a fellow outdoorsman a stanger. I bet that we have more similarities than differences. But here I go wanting to get philosophical and that is like a man working without tools. El Oh El!!!!
#2968584 - 10/04/12 12:58 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: hunterncoach]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I am hunting all day today. Took a lunch break. Have not touched a stand yet and probably wont, today. I'll hunt from a stand sometimes but I also like being on the ground, up close and personal with the deer. Saw a doe at about 30 yards today, but she was on private land and I looked away for 10 seconds to pick up my bow just in case, and when I looked back she had disappeared silently. But I've also pulled my bow back on 2 deer this season, both times from the ground.

...since last deer season

#2968596 - 10/04/12 01:05 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: hunterncoach]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

Bow usually from a stand, gun and ml 50/50 split
#2968618 - 10/04/12 01:21 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: hunterncoach]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

I've killed all of my gun deer from the ground and all of my bow deer from the tree

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#2968631 - 10/04/12 01:30 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: REM7]
Savage
8 Point

Loc: Crossville, TN

I gun hunt a LOT from the ground. Last year, I didnt have anywhere I was really comfortable hunting, OR had other people hunting there, so my rifle hunting consisted of me throwing a knife and four shells in my pocket and taking off. I killed a big 8, a 10, and three hogs this way.

In particular, I hunted from the top down, staying on high ground, shooting downward. I think it helped with scent control. I also had more mobility to play the wind, etc.

One particular place I wont ever carry a stand into again. It has a very narrow ridge of rock that runs to the end of a saddle between two hollows. When you get to the end, your 25-30 feet above the ground, strait off on either side, watching 2 hollers and the saddle deer and hogs cross on. Its perfect.

#2968845 - 10/04/12 04:02 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: hunterncoach]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

I do a lot during muzzleloader and rifle just because I don't have enough stands, killed my 2 biggest off the ground

#2968853 - 10/04/12 04:06 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: hunterncoach]
Pic IN the Casa
14 Point

Loc: TN

50/50 for me.

#2970803 - 10/06/12 08:47 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
soshock1
4 Point

Loc: Columbia, TN

I do a lot. I killed two deer last with my crossbow from the ground.
#2970996 - 10/06/12 01:09 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: soshock1]
lung punch
4 Point

Loc: washington co

I hunt crp, overgrown fencerows, and river bottom land with a bow and a fawn bleat in my mouth. When I jump a doe I blow that thing hard and draw my bow and once in a while I'll get one to stop at 20 yards. I'll jump 10-15 deer a day hunting fencerows in overgrown fields this time of year

#2971350 - 10/06/12 08:33 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: lung punch]
eweisner
8 Point

Loc: Portland, TN

That makes so much sense. Funny thing is I have a stand and am not completely enthralled with the idea. My brother and I installed a screened in aluminum sunroom last week. We took scraps from the deck and the room and made a one legged stool. It's white at the moment but will be either wraped in burlap or painted when I get done. I'm leaning towards burlap.

http://confessionsofanovicebowhunter.wordpress.com

#2971467 - 10/06/12 11:26 PM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: eweisner]
Kevin B.
8 Point

Matter of fact, I think that i'll hunt from the groun in the morning. Cold, wet (still raining). Might be a good morning for a still-hunt. Just slipping along with the breeze in my face. I've walked up on bucks sparring in this type scenario, at a bit later time of year than this, but who knows what kind of deer activity will be triggered by this cool snap. Should at least SEE some deer in the morn. And hopefully not just their white flags.
#2971514 - 10/07/12 05:20 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: hunterncoach]
jetwrnch
8 Point

Loc: Clinton

100% from the ground. I like the pop-up blinds. Warm, dry and can move around unditected. Don't even need camo.

#2971674 - 10/07/12 09:54 AM Re: Who hunts mainly from the ground??? [Re: jetwrnch]
ROVERBOY
4 Point

Loc: clay

I hunt about 1/2 the time from the ground. I've got one spot that I've got a ground blind and killed a good 8 point last gun season.

Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
mikescooterhester, PinkCamo, shaneb, Mr.Squirrel, Tadtad2!
13172 Registered Users
Who's Online
72 registered (EastTNHunter, rem270, ImThere, geezer, mimitk, jr450r, 9 invisible) and 74 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13172 Members
42 Forums
90778 Topics
1060063 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.241 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.