Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#2968369 - 10/04/12 10:26 AM Single Pin Shooters
Smoked
4 Point

Loc: East TN

All right you single pin shooters, sell me on these. I have been debating on buying one, because I only use two pins on my bow now, and I'm very comfortable doing so, but there is to much clutter with my other pins there I have 5. My top pin is set for 10-30yards and second pin 30-50yards. I know I can take the rest out but just haven't. So the guys who shoot them give me the pros and cons.
#2968651 - 10/04/12 01:51 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: Smoked]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

I used to shoot a mathews reezen.

I had to take some pins out because i dont like clutter and was shooting top pin 25 and under, second pin 40, 3rd pin 50, with my 50 groups sometimes being bigger than a basketball.

I bought a bowtech insanity and put the same sight on it and my pin gaps got even smaller to the point to where i was very inaccurate on my middle pin because of clutter/small pin gap.

Purchased HHA single pin, got rid of clutter, now throwing softball sized groups at 60 yds. Shot a deer at 57 with it and didnt even think twice about it.

A con would be recently i had 5 deer feeding in front of me and went to slide my sight for the shot and i made this really loud squeak. This was probably partially due to the dusty environment i was hunting in. In the end, I still got my shot off, but all of the deer did hear the noise and looked from 40-45yds away.

Just my story tifwiw

Edited by nate17 (10/04/12 01:55 PM)

#2968701 - 10/04/12 02:25 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: nate17]
StalkingWolf
8 Point

Loc: Dyersburg, TN, USA

A variable single pin sight like the HHA requires a little more presence of mind. You cannot forget to adjust for different yardages. I use a fixed single pin because I am disciplined enough to stay within the range of that pin. For me simplicity is the key.
#2968731 - 10/04/12 02:38 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: StalkingWolf]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: StalkingWolf
I use a fixed single pin because I am disciplined enough to stay within the range of that pin. For me simplicity is the key.

x 2.

Single aiming point, dead-on at 30 yards.
Little to think about.
Put it just a tad high when shooting at 30 to 40 yards;
Hold it a tad low when shooting under 30.

A single pin can be a great advantage in low light.

#2968742 - 10/04/12 02:44 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: Wes Parrish]
StalkingWolf
8 Point

Loc: Dyersburg, TN, USA

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: StalkingWolf
I use a fixed single pin because I am disciplined enough to stay within the range of that pin. For me simplicity is the key.

x 2.

Single aiming point, dead-on at 30 yards.
Little to think about.
Put it just a tad high when shooting at 30 to 40 yards;
Hold it a tad low when shooting under 30.

A single pin can be a great advantage in low light.

Wes, Another thing is that I am getting old and my eyes just do not focus as well. All those pins kind of glob together, especially in low light.

#2968925 - 10/04/12 04:55 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: StalkingWolf]
switchbacker
8 Point

Loc: knoxville

I like not covering my target with all the pins on other sights, if i can see it and its under 45 i let it fly

#2968937 - 10/04/12 05:05 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: switchbacker]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Love my Black Gold Ascent

#2968986 - 10/04/12 05:57 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: UTGrad]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have bowhunted for a ton of big game all across the U.S. and Canada. I only shot one pin and fingers for my entire career with vertical bows. Always, my one pin was set dead on at 25-yards.

I shot 65-70 pounds and a 125-gr. head. It was simple to start at 10-yards and shoot one arrow every five yards out to 40-yards. Doing that, I knew exactly where to hold to hit dead on. However, hitting dead center is not important.

You have a minimum of five inches, 2.5 high and 2.5 low on most game. So, with a pin at 25, from 0-30 yards, I simply held dead center of the killzone. Further than that, I simply held a little high.

You see, I was not concerned with nailing a poker chip. I was concerned with hitting a football. Think of it that way and you will be just fine.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#2969001 - 10/04/12 06:25 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: UTGrad]
Knothead
12 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
Love my Black Gold Ascent

Dude, get off the iPhone, for cryin out loud! You are supposed to be hunting, not reading TNDeer. You can live without your iPhone for 2 hrs, surely. Geez! No wonder you haven't killed a deer yet!!

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)“The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.”

#2969094 - 10/04/12 07:44 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: Knothead]
FOX FIRE
8 Point

Loc: Mt. Eagle

I tried all kinds of pin set ups & all made noise & vibrated loose after a while & would need to be reset, always at the worst possable time, plus all the pins bunched up made it a hassle to see what I was shoot'n at.

Got a single pin set up from Carolina Archery & fixed all that, set it at 30 yards & guess the rest, my bow ( my beloved old High Country) shoots relatively flat so it aint hard to figure out wher ya need to place the pin, noth'n to it.

Just to try it remove all your pins but one, take it for a test drive, if ya dont like it replace them...at no cost to you, HA !!

#2969243 - 10/04/12 09:11 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: FOX FIRE]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Been using single pin HHA sights for the last 7 years, I would NEVER considering going back to a multi-pin sight ever again!!!! All I can say is try one and see for yourself!

#2969274 - 10/04/12 09:26 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: W.Seay]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

I have a range rover now that i really like. I am getting a hha for xmas and i know it will be great.

#2969342 - 10/04/12 10:34 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: muddyboots]
DMAG
4 Point

Loc: Bradley County, TN

just made the switch last weekend. I love it. I am not used to the slider yet as I mad a 60 yard shot on my 30 yard mark. You will like it. I can tell you I will probably leave it at 30 yards and hold high and low. Just less to think about. I bought the HHA slider with a .010 pin. Man it is sweet.
#2969587 - 10/05/12 08:16 AM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: DMAG]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

There are positives and negatives to both single pin sliders and multi pin sights. You have the weigh each according to your own likes and dislikes. There is no wrong answer in it. Just a bunch of opinions.

I have shot the single pin slider sights...some things I like about them and some things I do not. The #1 gripe I have is the weight associated with them. All of the HHA sights are 8+ ounces in weight. All of the sliders are compact and weigh in that 8-12 ounce range. The weight wouldn't be bad if it were balanced/distributed out away from the riser...but with them being short and compact, the weight all sits right there on the riser. It's more of a balance issue for me.

So here's Crow's way of getting around this. Most people say they set the slider pin in one spot and don't move it. What I've done is incorporate the best of both worlds. I bought a cheap pin sight with bright fibers. Honestly the only reason I did this was because my pin sight I planned on hunting with didn't have a place to mount a quiver bracket on it. The one I got is a Trophy Ridge Punisher. $30 plus tax. I took one pin off...which left me with two pins. I set the top pin in the middle of the sight housing and used the gang adjustment to make that pin my 25 yard pin. Then I used the 2nd pin as a "hail mary" pin. I set it for 50 yards, which is about as far as I am going to shoot at a deer. This acts as a safety buffer for me...I don't have the clutter of pins blocking the sight picture. If I range the deer at 35 yards I know I need to aim high with my 25 pin...but I know not to aim any higher than where my 50 pin is...so I wont overshoot. Basically I can bridge the gap between the two pins. I didn't choose the Punisher for any other reason than #1....it was cheap. #2 it is extremely light weight.

I've been practicing long shots all late summer...and the first deer kill of 2012 for me was at about 8 yards. lol

#2969685 - 10/05/12 09:25 AM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: Crow Terminator]
Smoked
4 Point

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'll pull out my pins except one and start there.
#2969844 - 10/05/12 11:56 AM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: Smoked]
southernhunter
8 Point

Loc: alabama

i am hoping to buy a new bow this year that shoots at least 300 fps with a hunting shaft .then i will set one pin out to 30 and be done with it. i have made the mistake of shooting at a deer with the wrong pin.so seeing that in the timber this time of year its very hard to shoot pass 30 to 40 yards . and thats about my comfort level any way . one fixed pin on a faster bow seems ideal to me ..but my pse xs just ain t up to the task . as from 20 to 30 it drops over pretty quick with the set up i have now.any way thats what i am going to try next but it all depends if i can handle shooting a higher poundage faster bow..
#2969871 - 10/05/12 12:17 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: FOX FIRE]
thejetman
6 Point

Loc: Knox

Always shot a single pin sight. It eliminates guessing at the moment of truth. I site it in it 30 yards and stay within my range. Plus. It helps you not want to throw an 8 dollar arrow at a deer past that. I hate losing arrows. So this way I know that if I keep my max distance to target 30 and closer, I am morenlikely to make a kill shot. I don't like taking those iffy shots. Personal preference. But it works for me. Once I get to my stand sight
I walk off 30 yards and hand a scent thing from a branch, or lay it on the ground. Then I get into my stand, and imagine a circle around me. Using the scent can as a reference. Anything inside that "circle" is then ok for a shot.

#2969964 - 10/05/12 01:54 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: thejetman]
Smoked
4 Point

right now I'm at the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" way of thinking, because I CAN shoot just fine the way my bow is set up now, but i just HATE THE CLUTTER.
#2970015 - 10/05/12 03:13 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: Smoked]
TheAirMan
16 Point

Loc: Moss, Tennessee

I have used them in the past. As Crow said, there are advantages and disadvantages to single and multiple pins. I prefer multiple pins myself. I do like the less cluttered look and also like the single pin coming up from the bottom. I do like the idea of being able to mark a bunch of yardages on a slider to have a lot more yardages where you could hold dead on. However, I'm not much on leaving the sight in one place and holding high or low. I also, do not like the idea of having to try and move the sight with a deer in range. In the right situation, I am comfortable to 40 and a little beyond. I don't want to not be able to shoot at one or have to move my sight to shoot at one at 42 yards because my sight is locked at 25. I have never shot the wrong pin but I did shoot at a turkey thinking I had my slider locked at 20 when it was actually at 25. So you can make mistakes with single pins to.

#2970621 - 10/06/12 04:16 AM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: TheAirMan]
TN Whitetail Freak
8 Point

Loc: Bradford, TN (Gibson Co.)

Just get one of these and keep your fixed pin sights

I had a 10-20 yard pin and other pins at 30,40,50 & 60

Now I just use one pin 10-50 yards

Life's Not Handed To Ya; Go Get It.

Sure, the rut is a GREAT time to hunt if you don't know what you're doing!

#2970726 - 10/06/12 07:39 AM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: TN Whitetail Freak]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

I feel your pain. I changed this year to single pin and WOW what a difference. I was amazed to the accuracy and range improvement. I have just 1 pin to focus on instead of 5 which allows better visability of the target. I have NO regrets at all about swapping. For me,the single pin improves me as a bow hunter by giving me more confidence in longer shots. Go to your bow shop and try an HHA single pin out, I bet you leave with it.
#2971168 - 10/06/12 05:28 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: REM7]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I love my Trohpy Ridge Pusuit single pin adjustable sight . I have been using single pin moveable sights for about 10 years now without any problems . I keep them locked down at 25 yards in wooded areas , or whenever close shots are likely .

#2972338 - 10/07/12 09:52 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: REM7]
W.Seay
14 Point

Originally Posted By: REM7
I feel your pain. I changed this year to single pin and WOW what a difference. I was amazed to the accuracy and range improvement. I have just 1 pin to focus on instead of 5 which allows better visability of the target. I have NO regrets at all about swapping. For me,the single pin improves me as a bow hunter by giving me more confidence in longer shots. Go to your bow shop and try an HHA single pin out, I bet you leave with it.

Yep! Dead on the $$!

#2972341 - 10/07/12 09:53 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: W.Seay]
W.Seay
14 Point

Been using HHA adjustable sights for 6-7 years, it's the only way to go in my opinion!

#2974767 - 10/09/12 06:27 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: FOX FIRE]
bassinbrian
4 Point

Loc: tennessee

Okay, are you guys shooting super fast bows? I shoot a mission bow and about 284fps is what im at. Is this too slow for a single pin out to say 50yds?

#2975306 - 10/10/12 07:11 AM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: bassinbrian]
deerjackie
6 Point

Loc: henry co tn

Get a hha and make your own marks or use the tapes and detailed instructions no matter how fast or slow your bow is .btw,if your quiver interferes with the lock down on the slider leave it a tad loose so you can slide in the heat of the moment.Happy Hunting Always!!!!!

#2976611 - 10/10/12 11:51 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: deerjackie]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
I have a fixed single pin and shoot out to 20 yards. At 10 yards, aim 2 inches low. I don't shoot out past 20 though. Bow isn't tuned, or arrows are too heavy or something, because it drops too much past 25 yards. But bow hunting is about getting closer to your prey isn't it?

...since last deer season

#2977578 - 10/11/12 05:43 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: catman529]
bassinbrian
4 Point

Loc: tennessee

I like 0 to 40 yds, wont shoot past that unless im on the ground, which is unlikely.

#2978424 - 10/12/12 08:20 AM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: bassinbrian]
W.Seay
14 Point

284 fps is plenty fast enough, mine is about 288

#2979165 - 10/12/12 06:15 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: W.Seay]
bowriter
Non-Typical

I am a dinosaur. I don't want any pin that moves and use super glue to make sure that doesn't happen. The entire purpose of a single pin is to eliminate guessing. So, I want one pin that can't be moved to another yardage. I want one, clear bright pin that I just hold dead on, slightly high or slightly low. I don't shoot a peep, never have.

I love simplicity, especially when it is cheap.

#2979173 - 10/12/12 06:25 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Hard to get much simpler than this...and a great surprise!

While I was getting the bow case out for this picture, I noticed anothr bow case I had forgotten about. Sure enough, it had a bow in it I had forgotten and it is setup just like this one, just waiting to be put on a plane.

#2979182 - 10/12/12 06:37 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

So I get out the other case. It is the indestructible traveling case witgh all the stikers on it including one to RSA. The last trip was Quebec and on to Schefferville. Caribou.

The bow is in the lock. In this case, the bow sets on two small pedestals and it completely locked down. It can handle tremendous bad handling with no part of the bow being damaged. It is, in short, one tough case.

Also in the case was my hunting quiver. It holds three arrows and all three had 125-gr., Thunder Heads. The memory it brought to mind brought tears.

To just once more, shoot that bow, make that trip, relive those days. To think I had forgotten that case.

Maybe someday, because that bow and case are doing no good in my equipment room, I might put it up for sale. It is not high tech, maybe shoots 265. But it is fool proof, designed for the hunter who just wants to go kill something and not be fighting equipment or worrying about what Jim Bob's bow shoots.

Bow, case and arrows would not leave this house for less than $500. The case probably cost dang near that.

#2981582 - 10/14/12 08:03 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: bassinbrian]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: bassinbrian
Okay, are you guys shooting super fast bows? I shoot a mission bow and about 284fps is what im at. Is this too slow for a single pin out to say 50yds?

If you are talking about a single fixed pin I suspect you would have some holdover issues at that speed. My bow is about the same speed, and 50 yds would be more than I would want to negociate with a fixed pin.

I'm in year 2 of a HHA single pin (slider) sight. with their instructions and tapes it was easy to get sighted in. I keep the pin set at 30 yds, and know where to hold from point blank to around 40 yds. From that point on I will use the slider for a dead on hold.

With aging eyes, the lack of clutter made a positive difference for me. I can't see myself going back to a multi-pin sight.

#2986792 - 10/17/12 08:53 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: W.Seay]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

Originally Posted By: W.Seay
Been using HHA adjustable sights for 6-7 years, it's the only way to go in my opinion!

Same here. Once u get your tape on for your yardages if u miss it isnt the bows fault.

HHA also makes 2,4, and 6 power lens' that go over the sight to magnify your target. Their about $90 for the 2inch sight and $80 for the smaller one. I love that magnification now. I use the 4x. Dont buy em without gettin a lens cover because thats to much $ to be spending on something and scratching it.

#2988376 - 10/18/12 10:39 PM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: Poleaxe]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: Poleaxe
 Originally Posted By: W.Seay

Same here. Once u get your tape on for your yardages if u miss it isnt the bows fault.

HHA also makes 2,4, and 6 power lens' that go over the sight to magnify your target. Their about $90 for the 2inch sight and $80 for the smaller one. I love that magnification now. I use the 4x. Dont buy em without gettin a lens cover because thats to much $ to be spending on something and scratching it.

Have you had any issues with the magnifier fogging up or with rain?

#2988948 - 10/19/12 11:12 AM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: FOX FIRE]
RussellvilleRob
8 Point

Loc: Russellville

1-pin.. Dead on at 25......

#2988991 - 10/19/12 11:53 AM Re: Single Pin Shooters [Re: RussellvilleRob]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

Been thinking about a single pin slider myself. Went to basspro last night just to check them out, compared the Trophy Ridge, Copper John, and HHA side by side just in the package and looks like I will be ordering up a HHA fairly soon. Tired of all the clutter when I am shooting past my first pin.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (Mr.Squirrel, Nealmeally, mossyoakmantn, paincave_2000, catman529, Harvester, 2 invisible) and 60 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93135 Topics
1088549 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.112 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.