Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#2965626 - 10/02/12 01:18 PM New to the "Game"
TNnewgirl
Button

Loc: Wilson County

I will be Deer Hunting for the first time this season with a new Marlin 308 Rifle from a 15' tree stand, and... I'm a girl. My fiance' has taught me all he knows over the last two years, and I have helped scout and "observe" with him. I'm curious to know if anyone can give me some good advice on shot placement, best shot yardage, breathing, scent control, etc.

#2965651 - 10/02/12 01:38 PM Re: New to the "Game" [Re: TNnewgirl]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Shot placement- Go for the broadside shot in or just above the front shoulder.

Yardage-The closer the better. Practice,practice, practice and don't shoot further than you are comfortable.

Breathing-yes

Scent control-Use scent free body soap and scent and dye free detergent for your cloths but MOST IMPORTANTLY, hunt the wind.

and welcome to the site

#2965664 - 10/02/12 01:50 PM Re: New to the "Game" [Re: Dbllunger]
TNnewgirl
Button

Thank you so much! Does it really help to put cedar branches in with scent free washed clothes? That's what I was told to do to help with scent... When is it best to hunt from a tree stand? Morning or Afternoon or Both? How far away should I park my ATV from the stand? (I'll be huntin' deep in a wooded area). Wouldn't the exhaust from an ATV keep deer away? Should I cover the ATV with CAMO netting or does it matter? Probably dumb questions to all you seasoned hunters, but this inquiring mind wants to know...

#2965670 - 10/02/12 01:53 PM Re: New to the "Game" [Re: TNnewgirl]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: TNnewgirl
Does it really help to put cedar branches in with scent free washed clothes?

Usually not necessary. If there are no cedar trees in the immediate vicinity you're hunting, this can be counter-productive.

When is it best to hunt from a tree stand? Morning or Afternoon or Both?

Most any time, generally speaking, your success rate will be higher when elevated vs. on the ground.

Again, generally speaking, tree stand locations overlooking fields tend to be a little more productive in afternoons, while tree stand locations in woods tend to be a little more productive in mornings. This is in part because deer have a natural habit of heading into "more open" areas as darkness approaches, while moving into "more cover" areas as daylight blows the cover of darkness.

How far away should I park my ATV from the stand? (I'll be huntin' deep in a wooded area).

I wouldn't recommend using an ATV at all, other than possibly having it on a trailer just in case it could be beneficial in getting out a harvested deer.

Wouldn't the exhaust from an ATV keep deer away?

It can, and it will never attract one.
But I'd be more concerned about the sound of the ATV. Can't tell you how many times I've witnessed older deer leave a bed upon hearing the sound of an approaching ATV over 1/2 mile away.

Now, yes, sometimes deer can become "conditioned" to not be alarmed by the sound, just like they "can" become conditioned to feel no threat from a farmer on a tractor. But how often have older deer heard an ATV before daylight on a year-round basis? There's much greater chance of reducing your odds than increasing in most circumstances I've experienced regarding ATV's and deer hunting (at least in terms of riding the ATV to get closer to the hunting spot). There are exceptions, but most usage I witness from most hunters is more just their wanting to use their ATV instead of walking.

Should I cover the ATV with CAMO netting or does it matter?

I'd say if you're parking so close to your hunting area that this might matter, then you're parking your ATV way too close to where you're hunting.

But if you're more into ATV-ing than hunting, you could park your ATV right under or beside your hunting spot, at which location covering the ATV with CAMO netting might be of benefit.

Hunting is an activity which can involve many other "activities" to a more or lesser degree. Some "hunters" are actually more into "shooting" than hunting; others are more into hiking than hunting; others are more into outdoor camaraderie. Nothing wrong with anyone's preferences. But if you're strictly wanting to increase your odds at killing deer, best advise I have is to leave the ATV on a trailer or at home.

#2965743 - 10/02/12 02:40 PM Re: New to the "Game" [Re: Wes Parrish]
TNnewgirl
Button

Thanks for the great advice! I think I will leave the ATV on the truck till after a (hopeful) kill/harvest. I don't want to ruin ANY chances for my first time. I want the odds in my favor as much as possible. And, I did plan to be out there and ready as soon as daybreak. I'm glad you confirmed that for me. Helps to know about deer movement from seasoned hunters such as yourself! As far as cedar trees, there are such, but hardly in the IMMEDIATE area (where my stand is located). So, I'll hold off on that idea for sure! Thanks again!

#2966249 - 10/02/12 08:40 PM Re: New to the "Game" [Re: TNnewgirl]
348Winchester
6 Point

Loc: Coon Creek

Just enjoy yourself and be observant! Time will give you experience. Shoot your rifle often and you will gain confidence.

Is your Marlin a lever action?

#2966254 - 10/02/12 08:42 PM Re: New to the "Game" [Re: 348Winchester]
348Winchester
6 Point

Loc: Coon Creek

Oh, and do not restrict yourself to a treestand. When conditions are right (wet or very windy) get down and creep through likely areas. That's stillhunting. It is the most rewarding and challenging method of hunting there is!
#2966266 - 10/02/12 08:50 PM Re: New to the "Game" [Re: 348Winchester]
TNnewgirl
Button

No, it's a bolt action, actually. I will practice much before I go out in the woods, definitely! What do you mean by likely areas? I can say that my stand is near a small pond to the east, a slight ridge to the west, a small field to the north, barred by a barbed wire fence. Should I stay close to the field?

#2966292 - 10/02/12 09:12 PM Re: New to the "Game" [Re: TNnewgirl]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Be careful using the scent free body soap for scent control. It can be bad for females.

#2966306 - 10/02/12 09:17 PM Re: New to the "Game" [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

Originally Posted By: 8 POINTS OR BETTER
Be careful using the scent free body soap for scent control. It can be bad for females.

hows that?

Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
44 registered (bigluresonly, diamond hunter, MUP, postal rage, Model70Man, meat hunter, 7 invisible) and 73 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93073 Topics
1087584 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.094 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.