Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#2950402 - 09/20/12 01:12 PM Re: A Great Quote on the Need to Harvest Does [Re: muddyboots]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
 Originally Posted By: BSK
Deer sightings in daylight will be way down and usually the only chance u have at a mature buck is the rut. I have property that i get too hunt sometimes that is 400 acres and the owner hasnt shot a doe there with a firearm ever. Its the best place i get too hunt. I see bigger bucks there than anywhere.

Without question, aggressive doe harvests can drive down daylight sightings. But on that 400-acre property you speak of, the landowner is living off someone else's (a neighbors) hard work. You can't go forever without killing does and not have a seriouosly over-populated and underperforming deer herd. Someone on surrounding lands is having to do all the dirty work while you enjoy the benefits. Is that the right thing to do?

The surrounding properties dont shoot em either. All together about 1500 acres that i know they dont shoot them with firearms.

Again, those 1500 acres are living off the hard work of others. Keeping a healthy deer herd healthy requires a lot of population control. A healthy deer herd doubles in size every two years. And due the inverse relationship between herd health/performance and herd density as it relates to food volume/quality, a healthy deer herd will not stay healthy for long without serious population control. And that population control can only be acheived through doe harvests.

If that 1500 acres is seeing high and stable herd health over time, somebody in the neighboring area is doing the hard work of controlling that herd's growth. Anything else is biologically impossible.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2950414 - 09/20/12 01:24 PM Re: A Great Quote on the Need to Harvest Does [Re: BSK]
Living2Hunt
8 Point

Loc: TN

Deer sightings in daylight will be way down and usually the only chance u have at a mature buck is the rut. I have property that i get too hunt sometimes that is 400 acres and the owner hasnt shot a doe there with a firearm ever. Its the best place i get too hunt. I see bigger bucks there than anywhere.

Without question, aggressive doe harvests can drive down daylight sightings. But on that 400-acre property you speak of, the landowner is living off someone else's (a neighbors) hard work. You can't go forever without killing does and not have a seriouosly over-populated and underperforming deer herd. Someone on surrounding lands is having to do all the dirty work while you enjoy the benefits. Is that the right thing to do?

The surrounding properties dont shoot em either. All together about 1500 acres that i know they dont shoot them with firearms.

Again, those 1500 acres are living off the hard work of others. Keeping a healthy deer herd healthy requires a lot of population control. A healthy deer herd doubles in size every two years. And due the inverse relationship between herd health/performance and herd density as it relates to food volume/quality, a healthy deer herd will not stay healthy for long without serious population control. And that population control can only be acheived through doe harvests.

If that 1500 acres is seeing high and stable herd health over time, somebody in the neighboring area is doing the hard work of controlling that herd's growth. Anything else is biologically impossible.

Agreed! We take serveral does of our property each year. And there are always trophy bucks shot in the area. I hunt farm land and there are always food for them to eat. Besides last year when last spring rain wouldnt allow the farmer to plant crops and it didnt take long for all the deer to eat the soft mast. I couldnt imagine if we didnt kill as many deer as we did. I will say this, we kill does early with a bow and late with a gun. Never during the rut.

#2950429 - 09/20/12 01:46 PM Re: A Great Quote on the Need to Harvest Does [Re: BSK]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Possible just noone is aware of it. When i get too hunt there it just reminds me of how hard hunting is on my leases are where they shoot does with firearms. LOL

#2950474 - 09/20/12 02:20 PM Re: A Great Quote on the Need to Harvest Does [Re: muddyboots]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Possible just noone is aware of it. When i get too hunt there it just reminds me of how hard hunting is on my leases are where they shoot does with firearms. LOL

You are probably just seeing differences in hunting areas, not differences due to shooting does, as somebody is shooting a lot of local does, and probably with firearms (very difficult to kill enough does with a bow).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#2950504 - 09/20/12 02:50 PM Re: A Great Quote on the Need to Harvest Does [Re: BSK]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Does are take off of our lease as well. As for deer sightings, you may not see that many (does and bucks), but we have taken 130-140's every year. The best time of year for a doe harvest is during the rut. It's hard to shot a buck that is full out in timber, but when he stops to smell her, he is a sitting duck.
#2950508 - 09/20/12 02:52 PM Re: A Great Quote on the Need to Harvest Does [Re: BSK]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

You are probably just seeing differences in hunting areas, not differences due to shooting does, as somebody is shooting a lot of local does, and probably with firearms (very difficult to kill enough does with a bow).

How many does a year do you take of your 500 acres? I know every properties needs are going to be different but whats the general rule of thumb say per 500 acres? We have 2500 acres and after running cameras for a year now it seems like we have more bucks than does which I know is very odd or the bucks are just being dominant over the salt, plots, and corn when it was out.

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#2950518 - 09/20/12 02:56 PM Re: A Great Quote on the Need to Harvest Does [Re: Football Hunter]
Bucks & Beards
4 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
 Originally Posted By: Bucks & Beards
I received a newletter from my hunting club today and read a great(and funny)quote about the need to harvest an appropriate number of does. Thought some of you might like it: "With each doe eating 3,000 pounds of yearly food out of the buck's back pocket, or maybe better put, off the top of his head, the best food plot program is to mail a doe a good-bye letter delivered at 3,000 feet per second."
or 300 fps \:\)
Yeah, that'll work too starting Saturday!

#2950526 - 09/20/12 02:58 PM Re: A Great Quote on the Need to Harvest Does [Re: Hollar Hunter]
Bucks & Beards
4 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: Hollar Hunter

How many does a year do you take of your 500 acres? I know every properties needs are going to be different but whats the general rule of thumb say per 500 acres? We have 2500 acres and after running cameras for a year now it seems like we have more bucks than does which I know is very odd or the bucks are just being dominant over the salt, plots, and corn when it was out.
BSK, Aren't does usually dominant on the food sources?

#2950844 - 09/20/12 08:51 PM Re: A Great Quote on the Need to Harvest Does [Re: Bucks & Beards]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

A camera inventory for this year's fawn recruitment/survival has been perfectly dismal on my place. Crazy as it may sound I've gotten more photos of coyotes than fawns this summer...WAY more. The neighbor even found a partially eaten fawn half-buried while bushhogging.

Don't know if it's an effect of the drought, neighbors pulling the trigger, or yotes but we'll likely adjust our doe harvest down a bit (and absolutely go to town on the yodelers). The coyotes seem to have really made a dent.

#2950860 - 09/20/12 08:59 PM Re: A Great Quote on the Need to Harvest Does [Re: LB FANATIC]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Originally Posted By: LB FANATIC
I would think some should be harvested every year..

X~3 ;\)

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
108 registered (Dbllunger, T.J., DirtyBear0311, Snake, bowhunterfanatic, striker12, 7 invisible) and 165 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95724 Topics
1120665 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.