Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 6 « First<23456
Topic Options
#2944449 - 09/15/12 06:25 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Radar]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Sorry to cause a fuss. Come on deer season. One week!!
#2944492 - 09/15/12 06:59 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: UTGrad]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
Sorry to cause a fuss. Come on deer season. One week!!

Hope you bust a big one next Sat. I'm interested in an Ulmer report.

#2944498 - 09/15/12 07:09 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: UTGrad]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

UT,
PM me when you get an arrow through one. If you don't see it fall and need a little "verbal support", I might be able to help.

And Radar, about the broadheads, one of the BEST heads is a 2 inch COC, rearward deploying (looses less energy on deployment), mechanical shot out of a WELL tuned bow.

OR...a Muzzy.

OR...a Thunderhead!

OR...any head that goes through BOTH lungs of a deer, about mid lung.

BUT...I like ECONOMICAL value.

I like to shoot often. At deer, turkey, coyote.

And I simply am too cheap to shoot expensive heads.

If I can find FREE heads, that work very effectively, that is what I shoot.

That is why I shoot Magnus Stinger 4 blade COC fixed.

But...(again with the buts) I highly value your opinion. Especially when it comes to bows and equipment. I know you know your stuff.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#2944503 - 09/15/12 07:18 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: scn]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Jumped a big shooter this morning after the hunt from the stand on the first day of the Mo. Season . He was no more than 100 yards from my truck and bedded only 30 yards from a well traveled access drive . Lesson learned , I should have just walked back to the truck instead of scouting along the drive to see where they were crossing . Biggest buck I have seen while hunting in Mo. So far . Just hope I didn't bump him out of the area , but they are used to the landowners in the area.
Good luck to everyone this season . Shoot the broadhead you have confidence in , and put it in the vitals !

#2944725 - 09/15/12 08:48 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Radar]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Originally Posted By: Radar
Jumped a big shooter this morning after the hunt from the stand on the first day of the Mo. Season . He was no more than 100 yards from my truck and bedded only 30 yards from a well traveled access drive . Lesson learned , I should have just walked back to the truck instead of scouting along the drive to see where they were crossing . Biggest buck I have seen while hunting in Mo. So far . Just hope I didn't bump him out of the area , but they are used to the landowners in the area.
Good luck to everyone this season . Shoot the broadhead you have confidence in , and put it in the vitals !

Amen and good luck...hope you get him

#2944954 - 09/16/12 07:00 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: double browtine]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

Originally Posted By: double browtine
Going to go buy some new heads tomorrow. I am torn between the nap killzones and the schwackers. I have used nap products in the past with success, thunderheads and spitfires. Every nap product hit just like my field points in the past. Has anyone shot both and have an opinion? Great thread by the way!

I can say this about ThunderHeads, they don't weight what they claim and I called them on it and it was confirmed. A 100 weighs 106-8, that's 6% more. It is a difference enough to make flight change from points to heads and also why I'm not all that concerned about the two hitting the same spot. Just saying you could experience a change in flight with the killzone and that could be the reason why, still could be a killing machine.

#2944963 - 09/16/12 07:23 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: scn]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

Originally Posted By: scn
 Originally Posted By: richmanbarbeque
At times it appears 102 comes across as cocky, arrogant and whatever you want to think. in the past I have felt the same way. I now look at him as trying to get across his experiences so other people learn not to make mistakes he may have made in the past. I am sure he will admit he doesn't know everything but him and his hunting buddies have a lot of experience. Now, when he starts chasing gut shot deer like Bowriter and name dropping we can all kick him in the nuts but until then I will try to learn what I can.

x2 on 102, Rich.

I think this is my 43 consecutive bow season. I've seen a lot of changes and waded through a lot of bs during those years. You learn to recognize knowledge. When 102 and Radar speak about bows and bow hunting, I listen and learn.

I haven't been around any of you enough to know what you know, but I do know he's right about sharpness. Rapid blood lose is the key to a short track job and razor sharp is the best at doing that.

There is nothing sharper than a broken toilet believe it or not and if anyone is ever cut by one you won't know it till you see the blood flowing rapidly all over. Razor sharp is it.

#2945050 - 09/16/12 09:16 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: nodog]
Big J
16 Point

Loc: Joelton

Yeah! Beyond scary sharp is the only way. Blade thickness being next.

#2945151 - 09/16/12 12:43 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Big J]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

You guys do realize we've been arguing this for no real reason. Tennessee size whitetail deer are like shooting through a wet paper bag. Our average doe is what, 70-80 lbs field dressed? Our biggest bucks might go 150 field dressed...MIGHT. I dare say the average 2-3 yr old TN buck is 125-130 lbs. I've killed 2 that scored in the upper 120s and one in the 130s that field dressed what they scored lol

A well placed .177 cal pellet from an air rifle will kill one. I've killed two so far with just knives. You ain't lived til you've tried to put down a car hit deer that you think is about already dead...that comes back to fight for every ounce of life left in it.

What concerns me most are hearing and seeing more hunters making statements like "just put an an arrow in it somewhere and the Rage will take care of the rest". Usually made after they completely gut shoot one.

#2947169 - 09/17/12 10:50 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Crow Terminator]
holstonangler
6 Point

Loc: Johnson City

Such an emphasis on sharpness and cutting diameter, when a flint arrowhead got the job done well. lol As the saying goes, maybe its the indian and not the arrow or maybe its the margin of error that keeps decreasing as broadheads keep getting more efficient. Whatever it might be, I'll be shooting rages again this year and maybe switching to Ol Hanks Swackers.
Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
13 registered (trm, pcrc, BamaProud, Buzzard Breath, tn droptine, barkscraper, 3 invisible) and 55 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91379 Topics
1068318 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.