Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#2943363 - 09/14/12 11:50 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Wes Parrish]
thejetman
6 Point

Loc: Knox

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
 Originally Posted By: thejetman
What ever happened to Muzzy brand heads? I shot those for years until this year.

Muzzy's are stone-cold killers and have definately stood up to the test of time, but I have seen in several cases that they can be finicky. All that is needed is the time and patience to figure out the "sweet-spot" of someone's entire setup. Most just don't take the time, or have the tools, to find that "sweet-spot"—it's not intended as a knock, just a fact.

Muzzys had been my head of choice for many, many years.
But believe there are better-flying heads today, reasonably priced.

This year, I'm hunting with 4-blade Slick-Tricks which I believe are a tad more forgiving and with more total cutting edge than the 3-blade muzzys.

I also found that the pack of Muzzy heads I bought this year to be all over the board in variations to weight. I have a set of muzzy blades from 10 years ago that are sharper and tighter in respect to weight then the pack I bought this year. My old ones flew just fine. But, for some reason, the ones I got this year would not group at all. Period. They were all over the place. Different manufacturing techniques? I don't know. Also I want to add, Its really hard to fletch a Nano diameter arrow with a helical fletch. There is almost no surface area left on the back of the arrow when its all said and done.

#2943666 - 09/14/12 05:42 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Crow Terminator]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
102 -- You're alright by me. No complaints here. Experience is the best teacher....listening to experience is right there with it. Sometimes newer archers act just like teenagers...they know it all and ain't nobody gonna tell them different. Then they get some time under their belt and they see them ole folks weren't as dumb and outdated as they first thought.

Now onto broadheads. I like mine sharp as well but I look at blade thickness and material as well. I like the concept of mechanical heads but I find most have really thin blades with very fine sharpened edges...basically my findings have been that these edges will dull extremely fast and why so many are bent or broken upon retrieving...just aren't built well. VS some of the thick blade fixed heads....where you can blow through a deer and still be sharp enough to cut you really bad.

Two of the sharpest out of pack broadheads I've handled have been the Slick Tricks and a G5 Stryker. In mechanicals it would be the Grim Reapers. I have a Slick Trick my wife killed a deer with that still has hair and gore on it...the blades aren't nicked or rolled over and its still sharper than some heads I've pulled straight out of the packages.

I have had the same experience with Slick Tricks and G5 Strykers . Both have thick , strong blades that hold a good edge , and a low profile that flies well at higher speeds .
I also shoot mechanicals , such as the Rage , and I'll be trying the new Ulmer Edge this year .
I have learned through experience that the best broadhead is the one I have confidence in , that flies the best out of my setup , and is a durable head . I sharpen any dull blades before using .
One thing that bothers me about these forums are some of of newer Bowhunters who we have all helped get started out right on this forum , disrespecting the older guys like 102 who have more experience . I always looked up to my mentors who helped me out , long before the Internet .
I guess it's easier to disrespect someone behind a computer monitor .

#2943751 - 09/14/12 07:21 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: thejetman]
Big J
16 Point

Loc: Joelton

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
What ever happened to Muzzy brand heads? I shot those for years until this year.

Muzzy's are stone-cold killers and have definately stood up to the test of time, but I have seen in several cases that they can be finicky. All that is needed is the time and patience to figure out the "sweet-spot" of someone's entire setup. Most just don't take the time, or have the tools, to find that "sweet-spot"—it's not intended as a knock, just a fact.

Dude! You shooting a nano hunting?

Muzzys had been my head of choice for many, many years.
But believe there are better-flying heads today, reasonably priced.

This year, I'm hunting with 4-blade Slick-Tricks which I believe are a tad more forgiving and with more total cutting edge than the 3-blade muzzys.

I also found that the pack of Muzzy heads I bought this year to be all over the board in variations to weight. I have a set of muzzy blades from 10 years ago that are sharper and tighter in respect to weight then the pack I bought this year. My old ones flew just fine. But, for some reason, the ones I got this year would not group at all. Period. They were all over the place. Different manufacturing techniques? I don't know. Also I want to add, Its really hard to fletch a Nano diameter arrow with a helical fletch. There is almost no surface area left on the back of the arrow when its all said and done.

#2943754 - 09/14/12 07:23 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Radar]
Big J
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Radar
 Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
102 -- You're alright by me. No complaints here. Experience is the best teacher....listening to experience is right there with it. Sometimes newer archers act just like teenagers...they know it all and ain't nobody gonna tell them different. Then they get some time under their belt and they see them ole folks weren't as dumb and outdated as they first thought.

Now onto broadheads. I like mine sharp as well but I look at blade thickness and material as well. I like the concept of mechanical heads but I find most have really thin blades with very fine sharpened edges...basically my findings have been that these edges will dull extremely fast and why so many are bent or broken upon retrieving...just aren't built well. VS some of the thick blade fixed heads....where you can blow through a deer and still be sharp enough to cut you really bad.

Two of the sharpest out of pack broadheads I've handled have been the Slick Tricks and a G5 Stryker. In mechanicals it would be the Grim Reapers. I have a Slick Trick my wife killed a deer with that still has hair and gore on it...the blades aren't nicked or rolled over and its still sharper than some heads I've pulled straight out of the packages.

I have had the same experience with Slick Tricks and G5 Strykers . Both have thick , strong blades that hold a good edge , and a low profile that flies well at higher speeds .
I also shoot mechanicals , such as the Rage , and I'll be trying the new Ulmer Edge this year .
I have learned through experience that the best broadhead is the one I have confidence in , that flies the best out of my setup , and is a durable head . I sharpen any dull blades before using .
One thing that bothers me about these forums are some of of newer Bowhunters who we have all helped get started out right on this forum , disrespecting the older guys like 102 who have more experience . I always looked up to my mentors who helped me out , long before the Internet .
I guess it's easier to disrespect someone behind a computer monitor .

Good post brother!

#2943761 - 09/14/12 07:30 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Big J]
Big J
16 Point

I have a lot of respect for all hunters. Including the newbie that is looking for the correct way to do things in the woods. I have a lot of respect for Radar, BBQ,SCN and even that lunatic bowriter. J/K buddy. I have been hunting for a while and I still don't think I know jack squat. So cool the testosterone and listen before speaking! Just my 2 cents.

#2943873 - 09/14/12 08:47 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Big J]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
Well I'm getting a good whoopin online here but I still think 102 acts "holier than thou". Sure he is knowledgeable but he lurks on the forum to jump out and give a thesis statement. I appreciate the advice but 102's delivery comes across like he is the word from the burning bush.

Radar, you've been blasting me for a while now, nothing new. I will say archery has been my passion for a few years now and I'm not a rookie anymore. It gets old being treated like a rookie.

#2943896 - 09/14/12 09:20 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: UTGrad]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
Well I'm getting a good whoopin online here but I still think 102 acts "holier than thou". Sure he is knowledgeable but he lurks on the forum to jump out and give a thesis statement. I appreciate the advice but 102's delivery comes across like he is the word from the burning bush.

Radar, you've been blasting me for a while now, nothing new. I will say archery has been my passion for a few years now and I'm not a rookie anymore. It gets old being treated like a rookie.

Whatever , it's posts like this that turn me off to posting on forums anymore . I'm glad there are a few experienced voices out there to mentor those getting thier start in bow hunting . Some appreciate it , some dont . There is a big difference between killing foam than there is killing deer !

#2943904 - 09/14/12 09:29 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: UTGrad]
fourwheeler431
14 Point

Loc: Powell

Originally Posted By: UTGrad
I will say archery has been my passion for a few years now and I'm not a rookie anymore. It gets old being treated like a rookie.

How many years is "a few years"? 2,3 at the most. most of these guys have 25+ years of experience,hell I'm still a rookie compared to most of them and I have 20 years myself.

#2943905 - 09/14/12 09:30 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Radar]
UTGrad
16 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
Radar I appeciate all your help but I still remember your thread from last year when you didn't call me by name but Secret Squirrel told you I did a mid year bow swap. You blasted me pretty good. Well, that MR6 is a mighty fine bow and will be in the woods for another season. It draws smooth and it is a shooter. I wouldn't be surprised if you knew how I got the funds to buy that bow. Well let me say I shoot the MR6 almost everyday and don't regret it one bit. I got my "value" out of the deal.
#2943908 - 09/14/12 09:35 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Radar]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

content Online
I have been shooting a bow for nearly all my life. I have been hunting deer for a few years and i still dont know nothing and i apperciate all the input. shooting a bow and shooting deer are two completly different things

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
120 registered (H1234, feathersandfur2214, Allen Sullivan, fullstream, Kayman12, MMHunter, 9 invisible) and 198 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99553 Topics
1171209 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 1.074 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.