Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2941870 - 09/13/12 08:36 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: 102]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

Here is something I never thought of until I started skinning and processing my own deer. A deer's hide is rather thick. When skinning them, you want to work under the skin and hide...where that stuff just peels off like an orange peel. When you start getting near the hair, you run into this thick white looking stuff. That thick white stuff and the hide itself will dull a knife rather quick...even the sharpest of knives.

That got me thinking about broadheads and their sharpness. Cutting through a deer's hide is one thing...then its gotta break through the rib cage in order to hit any vitals. If you hit shoulder muscle and bone; this dulls the blades even more.

My question is this....is a razor blade sharp broadhead really what you want? I can see the point of it IF it retained its edge once it cut past through the hide and then through the ribs and meat. BUT...the thing I think of is this...which holds its edge longer: a razor blade or a carpet cutter/utility knife? The razor blade is scary sharp and the sharpest of the two...but wouldn't cut but maybe 3 inches of thick carpet before getting so dull it wouldn't cut hot butter. The utility knife's edge doesn't come down to as fine of an edge...therefore it's not AS sharp as the razor blade but will hold its edge much much longer. I would think you would want a blade with an edge like a utility knife for hunting...that way it don't dull as fast when zipping through thick hair, hide, bone, vitals, and then out the other side.

If you look at the blades on a Slick Trick broadhead...you'll see they don't come down to as fine of an edge as some of the other products on the market...particularly the mechanical heads. Having killed several deer with the Tricks...I wonder if the blade thing is the reason why those little diameter broadheads cause so much damage and blood to be spilled. I've shot deer with 1.5 to 2 inch cut mechanicals that didn't bleed as much as a 1" cut Slick Trick.

#2941883 - 09/13/12 08:42 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: 102]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

Grim Reapers
#2941966 - 09/13/12 09:58 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: UTGrad]
gondo
4 Point

Loc: Chattanooga TN

excited to try some nap killzones... have had great luck with rage
#2942045 - 09/13/12 11:26 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: gondo]
cozy23
6 Point

Loc: Wilson Co.

Originally Posted By: gondo
excited to try some nap killzones...

X2

#2942145 - 09/13/12 01:18 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: cozy23]
redhunterZ71
4 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

Been shooting thunder head 85,s for years they shoot just like my field points! And the good thing is you don't have to throw then away after you shoot a deer with it or shoot one into the ground unlike the open up broad heads that cost 30 to 40 dollars for 3. Lol

#2942353 - 09/13/12 04:00 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: redhunterZ71]
reloadxx
8 Point

Loc: monore tn

slick trick all the way
they are one mean head probably the strongest i have ever used so far have shot 3 deer and one yote with the same arrow same broadhead and same blades before they stop cutting my hair on my arms.with my bow tuned out to 50yrds [thats as far as i have tried them] they fly just like my field points

#2942366 - 09/13/12 04:09 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: redhunterZ71]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Look,
I am not a scientist, so giving you EXACT, scientific details on knife sharpening just isn't going to happen.

What I can do is take HUGE amounts of information, say from a data pool of FIVE HUNDRED BOW KILLED deer, and translate THAT information into something PRACTICAL.

And here is what I have learned.

Dull broadheads simply PUSH veins and arteries out of the way, rather than slicing through them thus causing more severe bleeding and a quicker death.

Afterall, archery killed deer die from BLOOD LOSS. (unless it is asphyxiation due to lung collapse and diaphram damage)

I have recovered over 200 arrow killed deer personally and been involved with HUNDREDS more, gun and bow. I am pretty sure I have seen about every wound channel imaginable, and some that should NEVER be imagined.

DULL blades kill deer. And VERY effectively when you are talking about BOTH lungs. But, according to MY experience, NOT AS EFFECTIVELY as VERY SHARP HEADS.

And finally, I will add this. So many times I have heard hunters say, "hey, I hit that deer way too far back and he dropped after running ONLY a few yards". Yet they had NO CLUE that even thought they did indeed hit the animal high and back, toward the guts, the arrow sliced through the KIDNEYS, A LETHAL but VERY low percentage shot. Or maybe "hey, I GUT shot that deer RIGHT THROUGH THE STOMACH, and it fell after only 75 yards". And yet the hunter had NO IDEA that they sliced the pyloric artery in half.

Luck always plays a role in killing. But luck plays little role in killing effectively, humanely, purposefully, and CONSISTENTLY!!!

SHARP, WIDE (as you can afford), ACCURATE.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#2942468 - 09/13/12 06:06 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: 102]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

My broadhead of choice ? The one I have confidence in !

#2942577 - 09/13/12 07:55 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: gondo]
yamaha200
4 Point

Loc: seymour

Originally Posted By: gondo
excited to try some nap killzones... have had great luck with rage
I loved the Rage, and the 2" cut, and the blood trail they left. Last year though I had one open in flight, and cost me a deer. Brand new out of the pack a week before. Lucky for me it was a doe, and not a good Buck. I have bought 6 Killzone broad heads to try this year. Going to Presidents Island, I don't want no suprised to happen. Can't wait to see how they perform.

#2942602 - 09/13/12 08:18 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: yamaha200]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Swhackers! Much better and reliable than the rage!

Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1, Hunter111, THEdonkey0515
13083 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (Bow Hunter, deadeye 77, ghosthunter, downthebrown, MoonBuzzard, Tennessee Lead, 2 invisible) and 90 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13083 Members
42 Forums
88187 Topics
1033049 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.232 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.