Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#2941618 - 09/12/12 10:49 PM Re: Reminded why I hate baitcasting reels [Re: jakeway]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: jakeway
I Use baitcasters only with crankbaits and occasionally with spinner baits, and only in daylight. I fished with Spinning reels for 40 years before I bought my first baitcaster. All my reels, spinning, baitcast, and fly reels all have left-hand retrieve. It costs a little more to find a left hand baitcaster, but it's well worth it to me. I can't get a good feel for the bait, nor cn I get good hookset, with the rod in my left hand. It just feels too WEIRD.
I prefer left handed crank too. Also I don't mess with baitcasters. I have trolled with them on a friend's boat but that was just letting line out and not casting. I didn't want to build a beautiful eagle's nest with his line....

...since last deer season

#2941667 - 09/12/12 11:57 PM Re: Reminded why I hate baitcasting reels [Re: catman529]
SilverFox
12 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

If I can find it I'll send you something Catman. I have a Abu Garcia 5501 C3 that a guy gave me. Reel appears to be new. I took it apart to clean it and the factory grease was still in place. The guy changed the handle on it so that's not factory. It had a couple of scratches on it but you had to look hard to find them. I put some line on it and put it under the seat on my boat for a guy that fished with me who is left handed in case he needed a spare while we were fishing. I keep a few spares with me all the time.

I'll look under the seat and see if it's still there. Pm me your address again and if I find it I will send it to you. It will be good for bass or catfish... Or them big carp. It's a heck of a reel.

#2941696 - 09/13/12 04:39 AM Re: Reminded why I hate baitcasting reels [Re: SilverFox]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online
well thanks, that is a nice offer. I'll pay shipping for that, pm sent

#2941831 - 09/13/12 08:00 AM Re: Reminded why I hate baitcasting reels [Re: jakeway]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Originally Posted By: jakeway
All my reels, spinning, baitcast, and fly reels all have left-hand retrieve. It costs a little more to find a left hand baitcaster, but it's well worth it to me. I can't get a good feel for the bait, nor cn I get good hookset, with the rod in my left hand. It just feels too WEIRD.

Same here.

#2942172 - 09/13/12 01:37 PM Re: Reminded why I hate baitcasting reels [Re: moondawg]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I remember those days and my 11 yr old will still backlash on rare occasion, pain in the rear!
I use a rh retrieve on my BC while both my Boys use a LH retrieve on their BC's, makes for me having to buy way too many reels imo!

#2948937 - 09/19/12 11:50 AM Re: Reminded why I hate baitcasting reels [Re: Winchester]
rutnstrut2
6 Point

Loc: powell

The new one bass pro puts out for un.der a 100 is what I have been letting my 9 yr old learn with, I can cast far and never once back lash? I got two of them fr the wife and kiddos

#2952503 - 09/22/12 08:03 AM Re: Reminded why I hate baitcasting reels [Re: AllOutdoors]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

I used baitcasters for a very long time for most of my freshwater chores.When braided line came along i went back to spinning and never looked back.
#2952527 - 09/22/12 08:16 AM Re: Reminded why I hate baitcasting reels [Re: Football Hunter]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
 Originally Posted By: SilverFox
Spinning reels... I have a couple of Abu Orra reels that are awesome. The spinning rods they make today are as good as the BC rods. Youre not going to get the quality from Walmart you would somewhere like BPS. A good quality spinning reel and rod will do anything a BC will do and more in some cases. Fishing light line the spinning reel excels.
If you are fishing,throwing at targets,there is no way you can be as accurate with a spinning reel as with a Bait caster,no way.

I can,i hold the reel between my middle and ring fingers and feather the line with my index finger.

#2952530 - 09/22/12 08:17 AM Re: Reminded why I hate baitcasting reels [Re: ]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: jerry d
 Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
 Originally Posted By: SilverFox
Spinning reels... I have a couple of Abu Orra reels that are awesome. The spinning rods they make today are as good as the BC rods. Youre not going to get the quality from Walmart you would somewhere like BPS. A good quality spinning reel and rod will do anything a BC will do and more in some cases. Fishing light line the spinning reel excels.
If you are fishing,throwing at targets,there is no way you can be as accurate with a spinning reel as with a Bait caster,no way.

I can,i hold the reel between my middle and ring fingers and feather the line with my index finger.
I have no experience yet with baitcasters but I think there are surely some people who can cast a spinning reel just as accurately

#2952618 - 09/22/12 09:32 AM Re: Reminded why I hate baitcasting reels [Re: catman529]
BUSHRAT
Spike

Loc: TN

There are casts/techniques that cannot be made with spinning gear that can be made with bc. That's why you should have and use both.

Quality equipment, good line, and lots of practice will make you a better angler. Put a gallon bucket out in the yard practice different casts. Flipping, pitching, sidearm, backhanded, etc.

Baitcasters are just another tool in the toolbox. People that don't learn when and how to use them are the people that think they can fix anything with duct tape, bailing wire, and a flat head screwdriver.

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
110 registered (Ranchy, lung-buster, eddie c, Master Chief, TN_Greenhead, doubledownranch, 15 invisible) and 149 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93388 Topics
1090467 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.559 seconds in which 0.016 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.