Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#2940978 - 09/12/12 02:19 PM My opinion on broad heads this year!
Big J
16 Point

Loc: Joelton

First off let me start by saying a field point will kill a deer and Indians killed millions with a stick and rock tied on the end. So shot placement with any broad head will kill a deer, even with wal-mart specials! Broadheads are high dollar now and i think well overpriced but if you can afford it, buy what you want! We are licky to have such a huge selection in the market!So with that being said here is my opinion on them this year.

I love Rage broadheads! The two blade version is unreal and they will slice a deer like an axe! I have killed deer with them and they work, unfortunately there are issues with pre deployment and it is documented. They need to address this at Rage.

Grim Reaper is a great head! Maybe The best 3 blade on the market. I have seen the detestation of that heads and it is pretty awesome. I am not sure if it is the design or just how dang sharp the thing is. It is one of the sharpest broadheads I have even seen.

I am going to switch to schwackers! I like two blade cuts and I feel the lest resistantance the better chance of pass thru. I set my bow a little light in Bow season so that if I have to hold for longer than 60 seconds, I can hold it longer. Personal preference.

Pound for pound! Money for Money! I still think the Redhead blackout products are the best bang for the buck! They have expandable and 3 blade and when it comes to sharpness, thickness and affordability without sacrificing quality. They still have the best bang for the buck!

My 2 cents!

#2941008 - 09/12/12 02:51 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Big J]
Living2Hunt
8 Point

Loc: TN

Nice post!
#2941020 - 09/12/12 03:05 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Living2Hunt]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

I agree with everything you said. I have never shot the Blackouts. Though I have shot the Redhead Gators and I will tell you they are not woth the money. Wound channels and penetration lack with this broadhead. I shot 2 deer with this head. First was found by a miracle due to the fact that there was not a speck of blood on the ground. When I found her it was a perfect heart shot that deflected off of a rib or shoulder and came out of the back hind quarter on the other side. She only went 40 yards BUT in a thicket she was still hard to find with no blood. The next deer shot with these was an older scrub buck. My bow shoots 311 fps through a chronograph and has amazing kinetic energy. The head barely penetrated the skin hitting a shoulder blade and breaking in the hit. I found the arrow and the head had about 1.25" broken off. Saw that deer later on cameras. Needless to say I switched to the Grim Reaper and have been more than pleased since.

#2941081 - 09/12/12 03:55 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: redheadshooter]
Master Chief
8 Point

Loc: Henderson County

sleepy Online
I'm thinking about switching to swhacker. Mostly because fixed blades don't fly like field points.

Don't go ridin' on that long black train ;\)

#2941469 - 09/12/12 09:07 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: Master Chief]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Originally Posted By: Master Chief
Mostly because fixed blades don't fly like field points.

Sorry, but that information is very inaccurate and is an incorrect assumption many make. In almost every case, fixed blade flight not flying like field points, can directly be attributed to tuning issues of the bow, arrow or a combination of the two. Expandables, and their low-profile design and narrow ferrules, greatly mask tuning problems that exist in people's setups.

#2941519 - 09/12/12 09:33 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: TNDeerGuy]
switchbacker
8 Point

Loc: knoxville

i have used the redhead blackout fixed 3 blade with great success, a great broadhead for the money

#2941546 - 09/12/12 09:46 PM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: switchbacker]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Originally Posted By: switchbacker
i have used the redhead blackout fixed 3 blade with great success, a great broadhead for the money

G5 Strikers is what those are! Great blades!

#2941689 - 09/13/12 03:55 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: TNDeerGuy]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

A point will kill a deer but can I find it is the issue. I like heads that produce a lot of blood. Thunderheads have always done that for me. Tried some others and went back to the TH. Going to try the 4 blade mangus this year.

I'm with you on the price of them. I'm a carpenter and buy a lot of cutting tools. Pound for pound broadheads are grossly over priced. I just bought 200 razor blades for 24 bucks. 18 replacement blades for thunderheads is about 20 bucks. I also buy cutting heads that fly 3450rpm and have zero flight problems and I can use them hundreds of times for less than 20 bucks cutting things that would ruin a head, a head I can use only once.

#2941748 - 09/13/12 06:11 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: TNDeerGuy]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy

Sorry, but that information is very inaccurate and is an incorrect assumption many make. In almost every case, fixed blade flight not flying like field points, can directly be attributed to tuning issues of the bow, arrow or a combination of the two. Expandables, and their low-profile design and narrow ferrules, greatly mask tuning problems that exist in people's setups.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

Broadhead discussions on Archery forums are almost as volatile as buck limit discussions on a Serious Deer Talk forum...VERY OPINIONATED.

Lots of discussion by LOTS of people with VERY little experience on the topic.

WE have been studying the effects of broadhead design on deer kills for THIRTY years. Also, as an aside, MUCH information has also been obtained about bow arrow combinations, bow tuning, effective rests, sights, durability of arrows, vanes vs. feathers, and a BOOK full of other related material.

In the end, assume ALL broadheads out of the package are DULL. Until you tests them. (I use a taught, small, rubber band stretched between two fingers. As I begin to push it, it should pop the band in less than an inch of push, preferably, 1/2 inch. The band simulates an artery or vein. You do not want the vein being pushed out of the way, you want it open and bleeding.

I WILL NOT PAY the RIDICULOUS prices for a package of new heads and have them open up DULL!!!

The BEST head you can buy is the widest, sharpest, most accurate blade you can afford.

Like growing big bucks where it takes ALL THREE...AGE, GENETICS, NUTRITION...YOU MUST HAVE WIDTH, SHARPNESS, ACCURACY...take away any one, and everything else suffers.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#2941853 - 09/13/12 08:22 AM Re: My opinion on broad heads this year! [Re: TNDeerGuy]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy

Agreed a properly tuned bow and arrow will shoot mostly all heads the same.

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (Snake, deerhunter10, Rubberduck270, bbuck14, zippy, TAFKAP, 2 invisible) and 92 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85051 Topics
1027654 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.237 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.